Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Pro 6 Connection Problem with Server Workplace

UGAVetDude
Aspirant

Orbi Pro 6 Connection Problem with Server Workplace

Hello, I have the following connection scheme in my veterinary clinic:

Internet Router -> Sonicwall -> Server (Windows Server 2018)  -> Switches && -> Orbi Router

Almost all computers have an ethernet connection to a switch that connects to the server. I don't have any issues connecting a computer with an ethernet connection to the server's workplace domain.

However, I cannot connect any new computers wirelessly to the Orbi router and then connect to the server's workplace domain.

What settings do I need to use on the orbi router to facilitate a connection with my server?

Thank you!

Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi Pro 6 Connection Problem with Server Workplace

Use the Orbi web interface, the Advanced Tab, Advanced Settings (bottom menu item), then select Router / AP mode and change the Orbi to an Access Point (AP) rather than a router.

Message 2 of 4
UGAVetDude
Aspirant

Thank you. I'll try that when I get back in front of it!

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

@UGAVetDude wrote:

However, I cannot connect any new computers wirelessly to the Orbi router and then connect to the server's workplace domain.

Oh excellent!

Finally we have one more customer showing an excellent example on why the Netgear router in general, and Orbi Pro 6 specifically have much to limiting DNS implementation causing an issue. While I -think- in this example there might be a workaround, in the much more basic config

Internet Router -> security appliance -> Orbi Router with all switches connecting to Server (Windows Server 2018), clients, wireless clients

In both of the two examples above, the client DNS queries must go to the AD-DNS. And this can't be configured on all these routers - because the DNS must (as per Netgear design) always point to the WAN, so the DHCP can't be configured to use DNS on LAN IPs.

the problem is all Netgear routers follow and enforce a much to simple DNS design. The DNS is picked from the uplink (e.g. the Internet connection), and domain required queries can't be honored by the Windows Server, specifically it's DNS server. simple saying: A domain client does a resolve the "domain.name" and is expected to get the IP addresses of the AD back.

Ref. router operations of the Orbi Pro: Afraid, AD over NAT and many-to-one-NAT is not supported by Microsoft.

@BruceGuo brainstorming please.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements