Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Pro 6 Satellite status LED shows blue for 1 minute, then turns magenta

Synica1
Guide

Orbi Pro 6 Satellite status LED shows blue for 1 minute, then turns magenta

Hello all,

I'm having a bit of a weird issue, and can't figure out what's wrong for the life of me.  I've got an Orbi Pro 6 SXR80 with a single SXS80 satellite, set to run in AP mode.  The satellite is in our garage, connected via ethernet backhaul directly to the SXR80 in our central wiring closet.  I verified the cable was good using a cable tester, and the Insight app shows the satellite online, with a Mesh Link Status of Excellent.  Both the router and satellite are running Firmware Version 3.2.5.102, but the satellite status LED shows magenta.  When rebooting the satellite, it proceeds through the normal startup, changes to the slowly blinking white light when it enters sync mode, and then turns solid blue for about 1 minute, before going right back to magenta. 

I'm able to reach the web management console for both the router and satellite through their assigned IPs, and everything looks normal there as well.  The satellite shows up in the "Wired" section for attached devices, and the detailed status shows "Sync" as enabled.  I'm also seeing devices in the "Wireless" section connected to both the Router and the Satellite, so the network mesh does indeed seem to be functioning.  I had read that running a satellite -> router backhaul connection through a managed switch would have issues, so that's why I went to a directly run cable after seeing the same behavior when running through our Netgear GC728X switch.  Am I missing something, or is this just a display bug?  

Thanks,

Ben

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
Synica1
Guide

Hello everyone,

I wanted to close the loop on this, as @RaghuHR identified the root cause after reviewing the logs I sent via DM.  It turns out that Orbi needs to be able to ping the gateway.  We have an Untangle Firewall/security appliance, and that was blocking ICMP on the gateway interface.  As some may find this thread in the future through a web search I'm posting the solution I came up with, in the hopes they don't simply flip the ICMP switch to "On."  🤓

In the Access Rules section, I created a new rule with the following settings:

Protocol:  ICMP

Source Interface:  Any Non-WAN

Destination Address:  Gateway IP

As anyone that's worked with firewalls knows, the order rules are placed in is important!   You may have to play with the rule placement a bit to get the proper results, depending on your specific network config.  For mine, I started testing with it as the first rule, and then moved it down our list until it was at the bottom of the "allow" rules. The LED on the Orbi Satellite is no longer magenta, and appears to be operating normally.

Thanks again for your help and patience, @RaghuHR 

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9

All Replies
Synica1
Guide

Update:  I just checked, and the satellite is still showing a magenta LED.  When checking the connected devices status on the router, it shows the satellite is connected.  Additionally, 39% of the wireless devices in the house are connected to the satellite.  Is this a firmware issue?  Nothing I could find about the status lights seems to match what I'm seeing.

Thanks,

Ben

Message 2 of 9
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

I assume there is no issues in reaching the gateways or internet for those wireless clients connected to satellites? Only the issue is magenta LED. 'Is this behaviour from the beginning or are you seeing this issue after the firmware upgrade or any confirg changes? Please share any additional info.
Message 3 of 9
Synica1
Guide

Hi Raghu,

Thanks for the response and you are correct, I've no issues reaching our gateway, clients have connectivity to network resources, etc. I did originally have the satellite connected through wireless backhaul, as the initial setup through the Insight app was problematic.  There was no issue with the LEDs at that time.  It's only after I connected it via wired backhaul, that I'm getting the magenta LED.  I'm fairly certain the recent firmware upgrade was completed with normal operation, before I connected the ethernet backhaul.

Hmmm....  Even though all statuses show as "normal," do you think it may be trying to connect both the wireless and wired backhaul, resulting in a loop detection issue of some sort?  I think I'll try resetting both to factory default to see if that resolves it - I'll have to wait until a "non-critical" time though - aka, when my spouse isn't streaming or shopping on Amazon, or the kids are working on assignments for school. 

Best,

Ben

Message 4 of 9
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @Synica1 

Thank you for the update. Could you please download the debug logs before you do the factory reset?

Raghu

Message 5 of 9
Synica1
Guide

@RaghuHR wrote:

Hi @Synica1 

Thank you for the update. Could you please download the debug logs before you do the factory reset?

Raghu

Hi@RaghuHR ,

Sure thing, here they are.  The xagent.log is first, and the insight_techsupport_log.txt starts on page 8.

-Ben

Message 6 of 9
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @Synica1 

Thanks for the logs from Insight. We need logs from the device.

Please access your Orbi UI by https://<SXR80 IP add>/debug.htm

Click on start capture and then save the debug logs. Follow the same steps with your satellittes and share the debug logs via. You can use google drive or one drive to upload the debug logs and send me link to downloads via PM.

Thanks,

Raghu

Message 7 of 9
Synica1
Guide

DM with link sent!

-Ben

Message 8 of 9
Synica1
Guide

Hello everyone,

I wanted to close the loop on this, as @RaghuHR identified the root cause after reviewing the logs I sent via DM.  It turns out that Orbi needs to be able to ping the gateway.  We have an Untangle Firewall/security appliance, and that was blocking ICMP on the gateway interface.  As some may find this thread in the future through a web search I'm posting the solution I came up with, in the hopes they don't simply flip the ICMP switch to "On."  🤓

In the Access Rules section, I created a new rule with the following settings:

Protocol:  ICMP

Source Interface:  Any Non-WAN

Destination Address:  Gateway IP

As anyone that's worked with firewalls knows, the order rules are placed in is important!   You may have to play with the rule placement a bit to get the proper results, depending on your specific network config.  For mine, I started testing with it as the first rule, and then moved it down our list until it was at the bottom of the "allow" rules. The LED on the Orbi Satellite is no longer magenta, and appears to be operating normally.

Thanks again for your help and patience, @RaghuHR 

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements