Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Pro DHCP giving same IP address to Wireless device and Wired device

pivnu
Star

Orbi Pro DHCP giving same IP address to Wireless device and Wired device

SRK60 - Orbi Pro Tri-Band Business

Firmware 2.3.0.0, but it is weeks ago I did update it.

It has been working quite fine - despite all the reported debugs here in forum.

But just today I have some devices without Internet connection, and I found out that my Orbi Pro DHCP server has given same IP address to two devices: One wireless device and one wired device. It happens for several IP addresses that they are each given to two devices.

All devices are asking for DHCP. I have tried both rebooting and factory reset of router and devices, with no help.

It is not the GUI showing wrong. I find the same IP adresses in my devices network info 😞

What is going on here?

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
pivnu
Star

Well, no issues this evening.

I decided to shut down the majority of my devices, bring back the router as it has always been, and which was failing yesterday (with DHCP server IP range 1-254 and IP reservations on 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 254), adding the debug mode as you suggested, rebooted the router, and turned on the devices again...

Everything is as it used to be before yesterday! The devices which has IP reservations, now got their reserved IP without any conflicts, all other devices has got available IP addresses, the printer got an IP as well.

The only thing I can think of, these conflicting devices has had in commen - if it is not the Orbi router - is a switch. A Netgear GS108Ev2 switch. I was thinking of switches being so uncomplicated, so I would never have though of the switch as a potential trouble maker. But it is the only thing I have not tried earlier; I shut down the switch, when I shut down the other devices, and put it back on.

I'm a bit confused 🙂

Any suggestions - could it be the switch? Now it is working, so there is not really anything to debug at the moment.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 9

All Replies
pivnu
Star

It is also IP addresses reserved for devices, which is being given to other devices.

Message 2 of 9
evan2
NETGEAR Expert

Does your wire device install Windows or another OS?

You may change MAC address and check if it get new IP address.

If your wire device is Windows OS, you may change MAC address in advanced setting of Netword adapter, please see below picture.

add a value in Locally Aminstristered Address.

MAC address.png

Message 3 of 9
pivnu
Star

The devices are mobile phones, Chromecast, IP cam, printers and stuff like that, which cannot change MAC, and cannot even make a forced release/renew.

Message 4 of 9
evan2
NETGEAR Expert

@pivnu 

Could do you please open http://orbilogin.com/debug.htm page and enable below items,

Start Debug Log Capture when boot up

Enable LAN/WAN Packet Capture

then reboot to your SRR60 and check if your device get same IP address,

if issue happen again,  open debug page and save debug log,

then send me logs.

Message 5 of 9
pivnu
Star

Sure, thank you, I'll do that later today.

On top on all this, I have a printer which is not getting an IP at all. If I set a static IP, then it works. If I set it to DHCP it does not get an IP.

All this has just happened without any changes to the network.

But I'll try make a log and see what it tells us.

Message 6 of 9
pivnu
Star

Well, no issues this evening.

I decided to shut down the majority of my devices, bring back the router as it has always been, and which was failing yesterday (with DHCP server IP range 1-254 and IP reservations on 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 254), adding the debug mode as you suggested, rebooted the router, and turned on the devices again...

Everything is as it used to be before yesterday! The devices which has IP reservations, now got their reserved IP without any conflicts, all other devices has got available IP addresses, the printer got an IP as well.

The only thing I can think of, these conflicting devices has had in commen - if it is not the Orbi router - is a switch. A Netgear GS108Ev2 switch. I was thinking of switches being so uncomplicated, so I would never have though of the switch as a potential trouble maker. But it is the only thing I have not tried earlier; I shut down the switch, when I shut down the other devices, and put it back on.

I'm a bit confused 🙂

Any suggestions - could it be the switch? Now it is working, so there is not really anything to debug at the moment.

Message 7 of 9
evan2
NETGEAR Expert

If your device wire connect to switch and switch connect to Orbi Pro router,

These Devices don't renew IP address after only reboot OrbiPro router (Not reboot switch),

It is normal behavior, many device have the problem, they don't detect disconnection if only reboot OrbiPro,

but Router will assign IP address again after reboot,  

Devices (wire connect to switch) still use old IP,

Wireless connected devies will get new IP, 

Maybe these two IP are same.

Message 8 of 9
schumaku
Guru

@evan2 wrote:

If your device wire connect to switch and switch connect to Orbi Pro router,

These Devices don't renew IP address after only reboot OrbiPro router (Not reboot switch),

It is normal behavior, many device have the problem, they don't detect disconnection if only reboot OrbiPro,

but Router will assign IP address again after reboot,

Exactly the same for any network where devices are not connected direct by Ethernet or Wi-Fi. A DHCP device is allowed to "keep" the address as long as the link is up and the lease isn't expired. This will lead to a DHCP renewal typically at 50% of the lease time. I'd suggest you to read some RFC ad basics about BOOTP/DHCP processes on the network and the implementation of DHCP servers, like dnsmasq here, before spreading some non-applicable ideas.

@evan2 wrote:

Devices (wire connect to switch) still use old IP, Wireless connected devies will get new IP,  Maybe these two IP are same.

The DHCP server (dnsmasq) does for sure check if the address is not already on the network before assigning it. What can cause issues are "unreliable" network links to the distributed Wireless AP or switches (or Obi Satellites) - a temporary outage might lead to a double assignment.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements