Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Pro SRK60 and GS316 wired backhaul sync problems

rolandvaneijk
Aspirant

Orbi Pro SRK60 and GS316 wired backhaul sync problems

To improve coverage I have changed the network setup from:

• ISP modem -> SRR60 (Orbi router) -> SRS60 (Orbi satellite, via SRR60 port 2) and GS316 (16-port unmanaged switch, via SRR60 port 3)

To:

• ISP modem -> GS316 -> SRR60 (via GS316 port 2) and SRS60 (via GS316 port 3)

Since then I can still access internet while connected to the satellite, but the Orbi-system is no longer in sync. The satellite is no longer visible in the network map and management interface (via the internet browser), and handover is not smooth anymore (connection to the router has to be lost before the client connects to the satellite). Also, while connected to the satellite, I can no longer connect to the management interface with the app or via the internet browser.

I have two questions:

• Is the new network setup usable?
  • Should I factory reset the Orbi-system because of the changed network setup? 
Model: SRK60B03|Orbi Pro Tri-Band Business WiFi System
Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

@rolandvaneijk wrote:

• ISP modem -> SRR60 (Orbi router) -> SRS60 (Orbi satellite, via SRR60 port 2) and GS316 (16-port unmanaged switch, via SRR60 port 3)

To:

Is the new network setup usable?

No, it's not useable at all - you are mixing two networks, one is your ISP Internet, the other is your local network.

The ISP Modem must be a diect link/cable to the Orbi SRR60 WAN/Internet port only. Nothing else is possible (unless you head to operate VLAN capable switches and configure accordingly to be two networks, two VLAN, no mix.

Back to the original set-up.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 5

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure your SRS units are connected via ethernet to the SRR unit using the following:

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy... 📡

Try a different swtich. Some switches may inhibit orbi specific traffic. Also some switches with Green Ethernet features also can cause problems. To check this, wire connect all SRS to the SRR router directly with out any switches in between. Check the status. If your cables are good and working, status should be WIRED and GOOD. CAT6 is recommended. 

Message 2 of 5
rolandvaneijk
Aspirant

It’s a Netgear switch. Should be compatible I may hope.
Another question: Does it matter that the ISP signal leads to the Orbi router (SRR60) via the switch?
The solution you describe is my old setup. Unfortunately that setup implies having the Orbi router on a suboptimal position for wireless coverage.
Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Hopefully however something to test out to be sure. Seen odd things with switches and any green ethernet features. Though NG did say Pro Series is compatible with Green Ethernet. So something to test out. Possible the switch could be faulty as well. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Standard connection and networking practices have any NAT router connected directly to ISP Modem/ONT devices. No switch in between. Puttin a switch can cause some problems or inconsistent connects, or performance problems. 

The use of a longer LAN cable can be used if needed between the ISP services devices and the Orbi router to help to keep with same location for the Orbi router. 

Message 4 of 5
schumaku
Guru

@rolandvaneijk wrote:

To:

Is the new network setup usable?

No, it's not useable at all - you are mixing two networks, one is your ISP Internet, the other is your local network.

The ISP Modem must be a diect link/cable to the Orbi SRR60 WAN/Internet port only. Nothing else is possible (unless you head to operate VLAN capable switches and configure accordingly to be two networks, two VLAN, no mix.

Back to the original set-up.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements