Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Pro SRR60 - Firmware Issues - 2.3.1.100

ibmman69
Star

Orbi Pro SRR60 - Firmware Issues - 2.3.1.100

I know this isn't the Orbi Pro forum, but that forum is messed up at the moment.

Prior to the 2.3 firmware I was very happy with this setup.

The 2.3 firmware took away the ability to telnet into the unit and create 2 separate SSIDs for 2.4GHz and 5GHz.

I rolled the units back to 2.2.2.20 (on the satellite and then the router; the proper procedure). That restored the ability to create 2 SSIDs, BUT, even though auto update was disabled, it auto updated anyway back to 2.3.

I rolled it back again, disabled auto update, and then went to telnet to check the autoupdate settings. Even though auto update was disabled in the GUI it was still enabled on the command line. I disabled it in the command line.

BEHOLD, this morning, the router had again auto updated, without my permission, and with all the settings set to not auto update, to 2.3.1.100. AGAIN messing up all my connected devices. This update did add the ability to set 2 SSIDs on Wi-Fi too, but I don't want that. I don't want an additional SSID that I don't need filing up my house.

I have not gone to the command line yet to see if I can create 2 SSIDs on the main Wi-Fi area.

This kind of thing is totally unacceptable for a device at this price point. I don't know what the problem is, but Netgear needs to get their act together. I wish I'd sent this thing back when I originally realized that it didn't allow 2 SSIDs without a work around, but that still doesn't explain why it's auto updating when set not to do so. It really makes me wonder about the security of the rest of the device when they can't even get something basic like auto updating right!

Message 1 of 5
YeZ
NETGEAR Expert
NETGEAR Expert

The auto update should not happen, other than the 2 scenarios I can think of: 

1. You have removed and re-added it back to Insight. Insight will auto update each time a device is onboarded into Insight. 

2. You have a scheduled firmware update window and repeats setting setup, likely a daily check and update. 

Are you using Insight?  

Message 2 of 5
ibmman69
Star

@YeZ wrote:

The auto update should not happen, other than the 2 scenarios I can think of: 

1. You have removed and re-added it back to Insight. Insight will auto update each time a device is onboarded into Insight. 

2. You have a scheduled firmware update window and repeats setting setup, likely a daily check and update. 

Are you using Insight?  

1. No.

2. I have not seen that option on the router. Where is that?

I thought about that today, and looked. I have an Insight account, but I don't pay for it, and cannot find anything without hitting a paywall that allows me to do any management.

Message 3 of 5
ibmman69
Star

As an aside, there was someone in the Orbi Pro forum, before they disabled it, or whatever happened, also complaining about auto update occuring when it was disabled in the GUI.

Message 4 of 5
YeZ
NETGEAR Expert
NETGEAR Expert

Thank you for the information. I will check with the OrbiPro team.

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7