Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973
Reply

Orbi Pro SRR66 Loses Wired Connections & Firmware Update

whartonw
Guide

Orbi Pro SRR66 Loses Wired Connections & Firmware Update

I am experiencing a great example of the typical problems with Netgear software.

 

The INSIGHT mobile app says there's a firmware update available for my router, but it also says that the update cannot be applied because Manual Update is turned off.

 

To turn on Manual Update, you must use the web interface for the router; this switch is found on the Advanced page, Administration, Firmware Update; once there, you must first run a Check for Firmware Update.

 

But the check says there's no new firmware available for the router; this result grays-out the Disable Automatic Update switch.

 

So, in summary, INSiGHT says there's a firmware update available, but the router interface says there isn't.  Bottom line, I cannot update the router firmware, which is desperately needed becase the router has dropped all my wired connections...but then I don't know if the firmware update will fix this problem or not.  Aaaarrrrgggh.

 

Netgear hardware is the best out there, in my opinion.  How wonderful a world it would be if the software that makes it go were of the same quality.

 

Any thoughts on a workaround (other than waiting until the update is automatically applied, which I am doing as we speak) would be appreciated.  Commiseration is also welcome, as would be better quality control for Netgear soft-/firm-ware.

 

Message 1 of 11
schumaku
Guru

Re: Orbi Pro SRR66 Loses Wired Connections & Firmware Update

There are to many features, functions, and work-around ideas coming together here.

 


@whartonw wrote:

The INSIGHT mobile app says there's a firmware update available for my router, but it also says that the update cannot be applied because Manual Update is turned off.


This is disabled if the Scheduled Update time window is configured on Insight. Don't ask me why - Netgear does have implemented this logic: Schedules Update enabled == Manual Update disabled. I've complained about this odd limitation a long time ago.

 


@whartonw wrote:

To turn on Manual Update, you must use the web interface for the router; this switch is found on the Advanced page, Administration, Firmware Update; once there, you must first run a Check for Firmware Update.


No. Correct answer to allow manual update in Insight is above: Disable the Scheduled Update. now you can update from Insight. 

 

Using the local device Web UI is an undesired workaround. This allows Netgear to push different firmware to Insight managed devices than to locally managed devices. And prohibits the user from pushing incompatible firmware versions.

 


@whartonw wrote:

But the check says there's no new firmware available for the router; this result grays-out the Disable Automatic Update switch.


This is expected. The update isn't pushed neither to the Netgear download nor the local new firmware check.  

 


@whartonw wrote:

So, in summary, INSiGHT says there's a firmware update available, but the router interface says there isn't.


Again, this is correct I'm afraid. There is a firmware version released to Insight only. 

 

Confustion is pre-programmed of course - cause is the poor message "update cannot be applied because Manual Update is turned off". correct would be to state "update cannot be applied because Scheduled Update is turned on". 

 

@YeZ one of these "minor" changes which would make Insight much more user friendly - thank you for considering again.

Message 2 of 11
whartonw
Guide

Re: Orbi Pro SRR66 Loses Wired Connections & Firmware Update


@schumaku wrote:

There are to many features, functions, and work-around ideas coming together here.

 


@whartonw wrote:

The INSIGHT mobile app says there's a firmware update available for my router, but it also says that the update cannot be applied because Manual Update is turned off.


This is disabled if the Scheduled Update time window is configured on Insight. Don't ask me why - Netgear does have implemented this logic: Schedules Update enabled == Manual Update disabled. I've complained about this odd limitation a long time ago.

 


@whartonw wrote:

To turn on Manual Update, you must use the web interface for the router; this switch is found on the Advanced page, Administration, Firmware Update; once there, you must first run a Check for Firmware Update.


No. Correct answer to allow manual update in Insight is above: Disable the Scheduled Update. now you can update from Insight. 

 

Using the local device Web UI is an undesired workaround. This allows Netgear to push different firmware to Insight managed devices than to locally managed devices. And prohibits the user from pushing incompatible firmware versions.

 


@whartonw wrote:

But the check says there's no new firmware available for the router; this result grays-out the Disable Automatic Update switch.


This is expected. The update isn't pushed neither to the Netgear download nor the local new firmware check.  

 


@whartonw wrote:

So, in summary, INSiGHT says there's a firmware update available, but the router interface says there isn't.


Again, this is correct I'm afraid. There is a firmware version released to Insight only. 

 

Confustion is pre-programmed of course - cause is the poor message "update cannot be applied because Manual Update is turned off". correct would be to state "update cannot be applied because Scheduled Update is turned on". 

 

@YeZ one of these "minor" changes which would make Insight much more user friendly - thank you for considering again.


 @YeZ, Thanks for your reply.  I will pursue your suggestions.  

As I did not get to pursue any work-arounds yesterday, the update was automatically applied over-night as scheduled (but did not solve the dropped wired connections issue).  I was trying to get the update installed ASAP because of all the devices I don't have access to.

 

Next step, replace the router, I suppose.

 

Thanks to all for your consideration and suggestions.

Message 3 of 11
schumaku
Guru

Re: Orbi Pro SRR66 Loses Wired Connections & Firmware Update

Here is @schumaku 8-)

 

Tell us more about what/how wired devices are conneced to the SRR60 (only? or also SRS60 satellites?) and the related network topolgy.

Message 4 of 11
MrJoshW
NETGEAR Expert

Re: Orbi Pro SRR66 Loses Wired Connections & Firmware Update

Hello,

 

In regards to the new firmware reported on Insight. What firmware version does it show that is available to download? What firmware version is the SRR60 currently on?

Message 5 of 11
whartonw
Guide

Re: Orbi Pro SRR66 Loses Wired Connections & Firmware Update


@schumaku wrote:

Here is @schumaku 8-)

 

Tell us more about what/how wired devices are conneced to the SRR60 (only? or also SRS60 satellites?) and the related network topolgy.


Thanks for your reply.

 

There are 3 satellites, all connecting and working fine.

 

All the wired devices are connected to a 16-port switch which is connected directly to the SRR60 router, the only wired device connected to the router.  There are some downstream devices connected to the 16-port via smaller switches, e.g., four NAS devices go through a 5-port switch back to the Big Switch at the router (so the NAS units can talk to each other without going though the large switch.  All devices are Netgear.

 

When the wired devices dropped out, I first checked the (short) cable from the router to the switch; the cable was good, so in a hurry, I just changed out the switch, which didn't solve the probem.

 

Next I disconnected the switch from the router and connected a single device (an internet radio) to the switch.  No signal.

 

During all this, all the wireless devices on my network, which are connected to each other and to the Internet through this same router, continued to function flawlessly.

 

The firmware update that I could not install manually was installed automatically overnight that first night, as scheduled; this update did not solve the problem.

 

Today, I changed out the router to a brand new unit, same model.  Result:  SAME PROBLEM -- all wireless connections present, no wired connections.  So, new router, new switch, new cable from router to switch.

 

Tormorrow, first thing, I guess I'll be on the phone to Netgear...

Message 6 of 11
whartonw
Guide

Re: Orbi Pro SRR66 Loses Wired Connections & Firmware Update


@MrJoshW wrote:

Hello,

 

In regards to the new firmware reported on Insight. What firmware version does it show that is available to download? What firmware version is the SRR60 currently on?


Thanks, JoshW, for your reply.

 

The firmware was 2.4.2.106.  The update was applied overnight that night, as scheduled, to 2.6.2.200.  This update did not solve the dropped wired connections, however, so I replaced router with a new unit today, which also has no wired connections!

Message 7 of 11
schumaku
Guru

Re: Orbi Pro SRR66 Loses Wired Connections & Firmware Update

What Netgear switch is in place there?

 

Do you have some kind of USB docking station with Ethernet connected to the network, probably with the host computer disconnected? What I have in mind is the fact that these devices can (correctly) send-out a stop frame - but some faultly network switches, bridges, routers, access points seem to re-distribute the stop frame to all ports against the effective need what is just for the peer port - simply to stop the data flow. This can render a complete network to a halt, as all connected devices are stopped. 

Message 8 of 11
whartonw
Guide

Re: Orbi Pro SRR66 Loses Wired Connections & Firmware Update


@schumaku wrote:

What Netgear switch is in place there?

 

Do you have some kind of USB docking station with Ethernet connected to the network, probably with the host computer disconnected? What I have in mind is the fact that these devices can (correctly) send-out a stop frame - but some faultly network switches, bridges, routers, access points seem to re-distribute the stop frame to all ports against the effective need what is just for the peer port - simply to stop the data flow. This can render a complete network to a halt, as all connected devices are stopped. 


Connected directly to the Orbi router is a Netgear unmanaged 16-port switch.

 

Great thinking outside the box!  As a matter fo fact, I do -- not really a dockig station but a LAN-to-USB adapter for a laptop that was unplugged (the laptop had been relying on wireless since the beginning of The Troubles), but alas that didn't turn out to be the problem, but nevertheless, a really good idea.  

 

Half a day of trouble-shooting today led me to two switches that cascade from the main 16-port switch; hope to determine tomorrow if it's the one of the switches itself or something connected to one of the switches.

 

Stay tuned!

Message 9 of 11
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Orbi Pro SRR66 Loses Wired Connections & Firmware Update

This is the second buggy firmware release from Netgear....in less than a year......

 

Message 10 of 11
whartonw
Guide

Re: Orbi Pro SRR66 Loses Wired Connections & Firmware Update


@whartonw wrote:

@schumaku wrote:

What Netgear switch is in place there?

 

Do you have some kind of USB docking station with Ethernet connected to the network, probably with the host computer disconnected? What I have in mind is the fact that these devices can (correctly) send-out a stop frame - but some faultly network switches, bridges, routers, access points seem to re-distribute the stop frame to all ports against the effective need what is just for the peer port - simply to stop the data flow. This can render a complete network to a halt, as all connected devices are stopped. 


Connected directly to the Orbi router is a Netgear unmanaged 16-port switch.

 

Great thinking outside the box!  As a matter fo fact, I do -- not really a dockig station but a LAN-to-USB adapter for a laptop that was unplugged (the laptop had been relying on wireless since the beginning of The Troubles), but alas that didn't turn out to be the problem, but nevertheless, a really good idea.  

 

Half a day of trouble-shooting today led me to two switches that cascade from the main 16-port switch; hope to determine tomorrow if it's the one of the switches itself or something connected to one of the switches.

 

Stay tuned!


UPDATE

Another couple of hours troubleshooting led me to the culprit, but not the motive, or MO!.  

 

The problem is caused by a Netgear ReadyNAS, model 424, which has been humming along for several years, until last week.  All I know at this point is that when the NAS device is connected to my ethernet, the router drops its connections to all the wired devices on the network, but continues to function normally foe the wirelessly-connectioned devices.

 

I plan to start another conversation specific to the ReadyNAS and see if anyone else has experienced this problem

 

Thanks to all who chimed in.  Stay tuned for tomorrow's exciting episode.

 

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 2356 views
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements