Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Pro SRX80 download speeds slow

Dcranford
Guide

Orbi Pro SRX80 download speeds slow

Just installed the Orbi Pro wifi 6 ( SRX80 and 2 satellites). I was originally using the centurylink C3000Z router and an Orbi RBR50. I was getting 800-900Mb/s down and 900+ up constantly. After moving to using only the Orbi Pro I am now getting about 400Mb/s down and 950 up. This is now constant. Is the router in the Orbi Pro not as powerful as the C3000Z and that’s why I’m seeing the difference in speeds? This seems to be a common issue in these threads but things get answered in a PM and no solution is offered.
Model: SRK60B03|Orbi Pro Tri-Band Business WiFi System
Message 1 of 14
plemans
Guru

Is the c3000z in passthrough mode? or the netgears IP address plugged into its DMZ?

Are you testing the speeds with the built in utility from netgear or using a hardwired in pc/laptop? 
Reason I ask is the built in utility can be sketchy because it doesn't always pick the best server to test off. 
its why we recommend testing with a hardwired in pc/laptop to the router. Then try several different tests like speedtests . com, dslreports, fast . com, etc.  or even centurylinks speedtest site 

Message 2 of 14
Dcranford
Guide

Great questions,

When I put in the new SRX80 I completely took the C3000Z out of the equation so im directly connected to the ONT from the Orbi.

So I did do a direct connect to the Orbi via laptop and still was getting the same numbers, mid to low 400s for download and Mid 900s for upload. I then took the orbi out of the equation and hooked my laptop up directly to the ONT and I am getting around 800 and low 900 download and mid 900s for upload. Somewhere the Orbi router is slowing things down. 

Message 3 of 14
plemans
Guru

Try factory resetting the orbi? 

And what test sites are you using? 

Message 4 of 14
Dcranford
Guide

I had a heck of a time getting this thing talking directly to the Fiber ONT so I had to do several factory resets already. Ive only had the router up and running for 1 day. 

Ive used speedtest app ( the Windows APP not the browser as I know that causes issues ) and the centurylink speedtest.  

Message 5 of 14
plemans
Guru

Did you setup the centurlylink vlan option? 

https://superuser.com/questions/1148268/how-to-ditch-centurylink-fiber-modem

Message 6 of 14
Dcranford
Guide

Indeed,

What I learned is that the WAN port has to be in access mode, not trunk mode in order for it to connect. 

Then all the other ports are trunked. 

That was the only step that differed from all of the sites that talk about how to do that. Because the Orbi Pro is the only Orbi that has that ability im sure thats why its not mentioned much. So that took some trial and error to figure out. 

Message 7 of 14
plemans
Guru

I don't have centurlylink so everything I'm going off is from reading online. 

So I don't mean to sound like i'm repeating myself but everyone I've read shows you have to set the vlan ID for 201. 

Not sure even slightly if that will impact your speeds. 

I do know I've seen some just use the centurylink router. They disable its wifi and put the netgears IP address into its DMZ. 

not a great option though

Message 8 of 14
Dcranford
Guide

You are correct, I had tag he VLAN as 201 and then I had to set the WAN port as access instead of trunk mode.

That got me connected directly to the ONT. The issue is the speed. It seems like the Orbi router should be powerful enough to handle gigabit routing, but im not sure. Again, ive seen lots of posts on here about this and it always seems to end with "I sent a PM" and you never hear a solution. 

Message 9 of 14
plemans
Guru

I've got the sxk30 series and it handles gigabit speeds fine. And its less powerful than the model you have so it shouldn't be a processor power issue. 

Message 10 of 14
BruceGuo
NETGEAR Expert

Hi

I am thinking if this is caused by software-based VLAN. Engineering will test it and get back to you. 

Bruce 

Message 11 of 14
Dcranford
Guide

Bruce,

So you have engineering looking into this ? 

I appreciate it. 

Donnie 

Message 12 of 14
Dcranford
Guide

Has engineering found anything with this? I have things working its just not as fast as I would have hoped. With as much power as it has it should be able to handle the gigabit ethernet traffic and the few wireless devices we have. 

Message 13 of 14
BruceGuo
NETGEAR Expert

Hi 

I figure out we may ask you more information. Are you fine to have a zoom call with us?

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements