Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Pro SXR30 SXS30 wired backhaul

ColdFire3000
Aspirant

Orbi Pro SXR30 SXS30 wired backhaul

I have a brand new Orbi setup and having nothing but issues with it. My setup is:

Downstairs

Virgin router->switch with SXR 30 plugged into it

Switch->cat5 cable through ceiling to middle floor

Middle floor

Cat5 from downstairs->Switch->Cat 5 to loft

Loft

Cat5 from middle floor->Switch-> SXS30

There is no direct cable from the downstairs to the loft, it goes downstairs->middle floor then another cable middle floor->loft.

There is a switch on the middle floor because I have various equipment on the middle floor which needs connecting. The same in the loft.

The reason for a new wifi setup is that we now have an office in the loft space which needs better wifi. 

My issues:

1. I get good WiFi downstairs and on the middle floor. I get reasonable WiFi in the loft space... Until I plug in the SXS30 satellite in the loft space. My devices then connect to that and the throughput drops around 50%. You might say why bother using the satellite, but that's not really the point here... It should be working for wired backhaul, but...

2. I think that the satellite is not using the wired backhaul for some reason, but I am not sure why. I say think because I can't seem to see any clear way to identify if it is using wired or wireless backhaul!? Is there a way to check that I am missing?

If it is truly using wired then there is another issue...

I have tried plugging the satellite directly into the router, but the issue seems to remain. I had a long 10m cable and put the satellite in another room from the router, then put my WiFi devices in the 2nd room with the satellite, they connected to it and the performance was poor.

I tried calling NetGear support, but that was a complete waste of time unfortunately!

I am an IT engineer by trade and have plenty of experience of WiFi solutions, my gut told me not to get NetGear, but I thought I would give it a go as it seems to get good reviews, but I am really struggling with this. The main issue is the lack of information on the wired backhaul status, ie wired vs wireless. I am giving this another day or two and it's going back if I don't get any answers, will get Unifi or something else instead.

Thanks

Message 1 of 22

Accepted Solutions
ColdFire3000
Aspirant

I didn't do anything differently in terms of config, except that I did it all using the web interface rather than the stupid app.
This time everything worked the way it was supposed to.
I've got all the cabling setup exactly the same way. Although in testing the wireless backhaul is actually working quite well, so might leave it wireless for easier locating.

As promised, the attached images show the satellite connected via wireless Vs wired backhaul between the router and the satellite. Note that the wireless part being lit up or not. I've not seen this information clearly shown with screenshots anywhere, only in the Orbi app, so hopefully it's helpful to someone!

View solution in original post

Message 19 of 22

All Replies
CrimpOn
Guru

The User Manual for the SXR30 system may hold information:

https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/SXK30/SXK30_UM_EN.pdf 

Page 29 explains how to access the web management using a web browser.

Page 154 shows how to access the Attached Devices display that will show how the satellites are connected to the router and which devices are connected to each unit.

It is not clear to me why there would be a switch between the Virgin router and the Orbi router.

The more common solution is to connect the Orbi directly to the ISP device and place any switches needed for that location behind the Orbi.

Message 2 of 22
CrimpOn
Guru

p.s. It's probably a good idea to identify the specific brand/model of switches in the network.

There can be problems with certain switches, especially when the switches support IGMP Snooping.

Message 3 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Make sure the SXS are ethernet connected behind the SXR, not in parallel with the SXR at the switch. 

https://kb.netgear.com/000051205/What-is-Ethernet-backhaul-and-how-do-I-set-it-up-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-Sy... 📡

Message 4 of 22
ColdFire3000
Aspirant

Sorry, that was an oversight in the explanation.

It is actually

Downstairs

Virgin router->SXR 30->switch with->Cat5 cable through ceiling to middle floor

Middle floor

Cat5 from downstairs->Switch->Cat 5 to loft

Loft

Cat5 from middle floor->Switch-> SXS30

So the only/correct way to confirm a satellite is working via wired backhaul is that it shows in the 'wired' section of the attached devices section, is that right? That seems rather poor. There is a whole section of the app dedicated to satellites, but it doesn't mention it in there... 😞

I have read the manual several times and the diagrams. The setup is essentially diagram 3, but with an extra switch->switch in the middle. But as far as I can see that should work, it does with any other setup like this.

I found a post on here from someone saying that it only works if you have nothing else connected to the switches, but that seems wrong...

In any event, the switches can be ignored really. As I said, I can't seem to get it to work/confirm that it is working when I have just the satellite connected directly to the router. I did this with a 10m Cat5 cable, placed the satellite in another room with a thick wall between it and the main router. I then put WiFi devices in the 2nd room with the satellite. I confirmed they are connected to the satellite and are getting roughly 50% throughput! I unplug the satellite and they get around 90% throughput from the main router!

Message 5 of 22
ColdFire3000
Aspirant

They are standard unmanaged Netgear GS108's. But as I said, I have the same issue without the switches involved, with the satellite directly connected to the main router.

Message 6 of 22
ColdFire3000
Aspirant

The setup is as per diagram 3 in the link, but with an extra switch between the router and the SXS. But as I said, I have the same issue with a direct connection to the router it seems, so the switches are not relevant really.

Message 7 of 22
ColdFire3000
Aspirant

Diagram of how I would like it setupDiagram of how I would like it setup

Message 8 of 22
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @ColdFire3000  Thanks for the network diagram. This makes more clear. We are tracking your issue internally. Will reach out to you if we need more info. Have a good day!

Raghu

Message 9 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

What FW version do you have loaded?

That's how I have mine setup. Though I have GS105s at the Middle and Loft areas for my house. 

Working well when I had it online. CAT6A in wall. CAT6 patch cables. 

@ColdFire3000 wrote:

Diagram of how I would like it setupDiagram of how I would like it setup

Message 10 of 22
ColdFire3000
Aspirant

Good to know I am not insane then!

FW is 4.2.0.122

If you have a minute, can you please confirm any of the following?

1. Did you have the SXR/SXS30 or another model?

2. Did you use a specific port on the units for the backhaul? I have seen mention this is required, but seems odd and I am using the 1st port anyway, which seemed to be the requirement.

3. Did you use the regular Orbi app or the Insight app?

4. Do you know how to confirm that wired backhaul is 100% being used?

I won't have another chance to disconnect my existing setup and play around until Thursday, so trying to get as much info as possible before then. If they are not working fully by the weekend then I am just going to return them and get a cheap Unifi AP to add to my existing!

Thanks

Message 11 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

@ColdFire3000 wrote:

FW is 4.2.0.122

1. Did you have the SXR/SXS30 or another model? I have the SXK30 which includes a SXR and 1 SXS. I actually had two systems but sent one to a buddy of mine. @FarmerBob1 

2. Did you use a specific port on the units for the backhaul? I have seen mention this is required, but seems odd and I am using the 1st port anyway, which seemed to be the requirement. No, I believe I used port #2 out from the SXR to the 1st switch GS108. I keep port #1 for my HP pro curve home 24 port switch most of the time. 

3. Did you use the regular Orbi app or the Insight app? I used the SXR web page to setup the SXR first I had the SXS already staged in the basement and connected to the GS105 switch there. SXS was turned OFF until I got the SXR fully setup. Then I turned ON the SXS and it eventually connected. I had mine running for 3+ days with no problems before putting my 9 series online for other testing.

SXR30Day3_Routermode_CM2000.png

4. Do you know how to confirm that wired backhaul is 100% being used? Look at the SXRs web page on Connected Devices. SXS will how wired instead of wireless. You can look at the SXS web page as well and the WiFi graphic that would normally be enabled should be grayed out. This signifies that the SXS is using ethernet backhaul. 

I won't have another chance to disconnect my existing setup and play around until Thursday, so trying to get as much info as possible before then. If they are not working fully by the weekend then I am just going to return them and get a cheap Unifi AP to add to my existing!

Message 12 of 22
ColdFire3000
Aspirant

Thanks for the info, I appreciate you taking the time to reply.
Seems like it's supposed to just work and I have everything setup right.
I will probably give it another go Thursday, if that doesn't work, reset everything to defaults and try again. If still no joy it's going back.

Last question, did you change any of the VLAN port settings, or leave everything default?
Message 13 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

I would try this with the SXS, After the SXR is fully set up bring the SXS to the same room as the SXR and connect it to the back of the SXR. Give it about a good 5 minutes for it to connect and fully synce. I would probably let the SXS sync first wirelessly, then once it running there, connect it via ethernet. Check the status on the SXR as you go. This should work at this point. 

Then try at the remote location with the SXS. If the SXS doesn't connect correctly here, then you may have cabling or switch problems. Would not be the first time users have reporting a bad jack, terminating jack wires, cabling or a switch causing problems. 

Message 14 of 22
ColdFire3000
Aspirant

I might finally be getting somewhere. After a lot of messing I decided to reset the system and start from scratch. Initial testing with wired backhaul seems to be working, wireless backhaul is performing fine as well now.
I'm really not sure what was wrong with it before, but it seems a lot more hopeful this time!
I'm hoping to get some downtime tonight to switch things over and give it a real test...

Will also upload some screenshots for others which shows how to tell if the satellite is using wired or wireless backhaul.
Message 15 of 22
BruceGuo
NETGEAR Expert

Hi 

Although supposed ethernet ports has no difference in AP mode, do you use uplink port of SXR30 to connect to Router?

Message 16 of 22
CrimpOn
Guru

The Orbi router is always connected using the uplink port (with the yellow WAN label)

Message 17 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Figured you would have got it working. Would be good to know what you did and how you connected it all. 

Onces it's done, be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed. 

@ColdFire3000 wrote:

FW is 4.2.0.122

1. Did you have the SXR/SXS30 or another model?

2. Did you use a specific port on the units for the backhaul? I have seen mention this is required, but seems odd and I am using the 1st port anyway, which seemed to be the requirement.

3. Did you use the regular Orbi app or the Insight app?

4. Do you know how to confirm that wired backhaul is 100% being used?

Thanks

Message 18 of 22
ColdFire3000
Aspirant

I didn't do anything differently in terms of config, except that I did it all using the web interface rather than the stupid app.
This time everything worked the way it was supposed to.
I've got all the cabling setup exactly the same way. Although in testing the wireless backhaul is actually working quite well, so might leave it wireless for easier locating.

As promised, the attached images show the satellite connected via wireless Vs wired backhaul between the router and the satellite. Note that the wireless part being lit up or not. I've not seen this information clearly shown with screenshots anywhere, only in the Orbi app, so hopefully it's helpful to someone!
Message 19 of 22
ColdFire3000
Aspirant

Message 20 of 22
FURRYe38
Guru

Glad is working well. Please mark your thread as solved so others will know. Be sure to save off a back up configuration to file for safe keeping. Saves time if a reset is needed.
https://kb.netgear.com/000062080/How-do-I-back-up-the-configuration-settings-on-my-Orbi-WiFi-System
Enjoy. 📡

Message 21 of 22
BruceGuo
NETGEAR Expert

If wired satellite is display as wireless satellite in BAse's GUI, it means somehow ethernet access between Base and the satellite has some problem.

Can you check if there is 100Mbps switch in between Base and Satellite?

What's distance between Base and Satellite?

When the issue happened again, can you PM me Base and Satellite's debug files?

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements