Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Pro SXR80 and SXS80 with POE injector / splitter

Theo_C
Tutor

Orbi Pro SXR80 and SXS80 with POE injector / splitter

Hello all,

I'm currently trying to connect my Orbi pro satellite SXS80 as follows:
switch > POE injector > RJ45 cable > RJ45 patch bay ---- RJ45 wall outlet > RJ45 cable > POE splitter > Satellite
But it doesn't work, the satellite turn on but the data is not going through.

I tried to connect the satellite as follows:

switch > POE injector > RJ45 cable > POE splitter > Satellite

And this time the data went through. 

I also tried different cables but this did not solve the problem.

I would like to make sure that it is possible to use POE to power the SXR80 and the SXS80? 
And if so, do you have any idea where the problem might come from?
Could the problem be that the satellite is not powered enough?

Thank you,
Theo.

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
BruceGuo
NETGEAR Expert

SXK80 doesn't support PoE input.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
plemans
Guru

the further you run power over ethernet cables, the more power you lose. 

The SXS80 requires 42 watt from the power supply. it might not use all that but thats what it can put out on demand. 

Not sure what POE injector you're using but if its supplying "just enough" when connected with just a short cable, the longer run and patch panels might be causing enough lose that it won't power it. 

But if it runs off the injector/splitter directly connected or with a short cable but not with the extender run/patch panels, it tends to indicate thats where your power lose is coming from. 

Message 2 of 6
Theo_C
Tutor

Hello plemans,

Thank you for your reply, I use simple passive POE injector/splitter with the power supply provided with the Orbi satellite/router.
I will try to find a more powerful POE injector and will keep you posted.

Thank you again.
Theo.

Message 3 of 6
schumaku
Guru

The problem is not resolved by a "more powerful PoE injector" - simply there are none (or not many) of these.

First problem is that the voltage is just 12 V in this use case. The resistance of a single pair, two pairs of passive "PoE", or even four pairs of AWG 24 wires is simply to high, the voltage drop is much to high to operate reliably, read there is not enough voltage left at the end of the wires.

Second problem, many of these el-cheapo PoE injectors - which have nothing in common with industry standard PoE - make use of one or two pairs of wires for DC power transport.

There are reasons why industry standard compliant PoE systems operate on higher voltages, requiring two pairs (for 802.11af and at), resp. four pairs on 802.11bt. This is to ensure the cables are not overheating (burning energy due to high cable losses), the specs are tight to keep true industry standard PoE workable so the powered devices can be operated reliably within the specs (especially the voltage) on the longer supported cable runs.

A higher power capable PoE injector would be expensive, require to convert the power source to higher voltage, and regulate it down to the required voltage again after the longer cable. This does neglect the el-cheapo advantage of such a lowest cost system. The only reliable way to deploy PoE is using standards compliant PoE (802.11af), PoE+ (802.11at), or PoE++ (802.11bt), requiring proper standards compliant PoE PSE (power source equipment) and PD (powered devices). 

All this has a cost, and can't be replaced by a cheap solution.

It's all in the Ohm's law.

Message 4 of 6
BruceGuo
NETGEAR Expert

Message 5 of 6
schumaku
Guru

@BruceGuo wrote:

Correct. This is why the talk here is about passive power injector installations (this is also why try to avoid the designation PoE on all this ...).

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements