Re: Orbi Pro Satellite Poor Connection

Tangmu
Star

Orbi Pro Satellite Poor Connection

I started out with a base and one satellite.  I had the base on the East side of the house downstairs, and the satellite in the middle of the house upstairs.  I have security cams on the West side of the house that still didn't have a strong signal.  I got a 2nd satellite and put it upstairs on the West side of the house - opposite end from the base.

So I have the base on the first floor on one end of the house, Sat-1 upstairs in the middle, and Sat-2 upstairs on the opposite end of the house from the base.

I enabled daisy-chain.  However, Sat-2 insists on connecting to the base, and runs on 2.4G with status "poor".  

Sat-1 is just on the other side of the wall.  Why doesn't it daisy-chain to Sat-1, which I'm sure is a much better connection than the base which is on another floor at the opposite end of the house?  

I can't find any way to force the connection.  I tried rebooting everything a few times.  One time Sat-2 made a 5G good connection to Sat-1, but a few hours later had moved to the base on 2.4G with "poor".

Is there a way I can force Sat-2 to daisy-chain to Sat-1?  Any ideas why it wouldn't automatically choose the better connection of Sat-1 over the base?

Everything is on the latest released firmware.

Model: Orbi Pro Tri-band WiFi System (SRK60) AC3000
Message 1 of 5
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi Tangmu,

Welcome to our community! 🙂

I inquired your case and I found out that the selection process to where the satellite syncs is automatic. It may still be picking up a signal from the router and not using daisy chain to connect in Sat-1. There is no way to force a satellite to daisy chain to another satellite. If there is a signal to sync with the router, it will always choose that option. You may just move the router closer or farther so that it may automatically connect to satellite or get a better signal from the base.

Regards,

Message 2 of 5
Tangmu
Star

Thanks for looking into it and explaining the operation.  It doesn't make sense to have a satellite attach to the base if the connection to the base is poor and a good connection to another satellite is available.  I hope Netgear will consider changing that. 

Message 3 of 5
Tangmu
Star

Now it's even stranger.  Sat-1, which is between the base and Sat-2, is now connected to Sat2, while Sat-2 is still connected with poor quality to the base.  Both satellites have picked the worst connection available to them.  

Physical arrangement:

Base             Sat 1            Sat 2

How they've connected themselves:

Base ----------------------------Sat 2

Sat 1 -----------^

What would give them all a good connection is Sat 2 to Sat 1 and Sat 1 to base, daisy chain, but they have picked the worst-case configuration.

Message 4 of 5
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

@Tangmu,

If you do have suggestions for the Orbi Pro, please post it in our Ideas Exchange for Business so that our engineering team will look up to it and maybe include it on the next firmware release.

Regards,

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements