Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Pro WiFI 6 AX5400 Dropping Iphone & Ipad off WIFI

mttmaverick
Aspirant

Orbi Pro WiFI 6 AX5400 Dropping Iphone & Ipad off WIFI

Hello friends: I need some help here. I installed a Orbi Pro Wifi AX5400 System in my house. I have it all set-up and the TV's all running off the WIFI is fantastic. No complaints at all. However, the system keeps dropping our Apple Iphones. It will randomly drop the phone and then it does not recognize the password when you try to click back on WIFI on your phone. I am using an Arris SurfBoard SB6190 Modem. I have comcast service. We have updated the firmware on the Orbi, we also updated our Iphones to the latest Ios. Still it keeps dropping both iphones. Nothing else in the house gets dropped. All TV's, WI-FI Garage Door, Thermostat, NO Problems with any of them.

I hope someone can help! 

Message 1 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Orbi Pro WiFI 6 AX5400 Dropping Iphone & Ipad off WIFI

@mttmaverick wrote:

It will randomly drop the phone and then it does not recognize the password when you try to click back on WIFI on your phone.

What steps do you take to get the iPhones (also iPad?) connected again?

Message 2 of 8
mttmaverick
Aspirant

I have to restart my phone if I want to get back on the WiFi
Message 3 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Does the Orbi log have any information about the iPhone when it connects (and reconnects)?

There seem to be many Orbi systems with the marketing label AX5400.  What is the model number from the product label on the bottom of the router?

Enter that number in the box at https://support.netgear.com and it will bring up a link to Documentation - - User Manual.

Search the User Manual for Log File for instructions on how to access it.

Message 4 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Be you disable any MAC Address Randomizers on the Apple devices:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-App/NETGEAR-Mobile-Applications-and-Apple-Devices-FAQ/td-p/222...

What model Orbi system do you have? RBK or SX? 

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
I recommend replacing the SB6190 modem. Long standing vulnerabilities with that modem. 
Be sure your using a good quality LAN cable between the modem and router. CAT6 is recommended. 

How many RBS are deployed? 
What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite ‌‌🛰

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

@mttmaverick wrote:

Hello friends: I need some help here. I installed a Orbi Pro Wifi AX5400 System in my house. I have it all set-up and the TV's all running off the WIFI is fantastic. No complaints at all. However, the system keeps dropping our Apple Iphones. It will randomly drop the phone and then it does not recognize the password when you try to click back on WIFI on your phone. I am using an Arris SurfBoard SB6190 Modem. I have comcast service. We have updated the firmware on the Orbi, we also updated our Iphones to the latest Ios. Still it keeps dropping both iphones. Nothing else in the house gets dropped. All TV's, WI-FI Garage Door, Thermostat, NO Problems with any of them.

I hope someone can help! 

Message 5 of 8
mttmaverick
Aspirant

I have the Orbi Pro WiFi 6 AX5400 Model: SXR50

I will replace the Modem. Do you have any suggestions?

My home is 2400 sq ft and I am using 1 Satellite. This is an apple only problem. All other devices don't get kicked off.

I changed the 2.4 Channel to 1 and the 5 Channel to 40

Message 6 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

NGs CM1000/1100/1200/2000 series are good modems. All broadcom based. 

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS🛰️ to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.

Be sure to disable the WiFi Private IP address as well on Apple devices. 

Message 7 of 8
mttmaverick
Aspirant

The Satellite is about 18-20 feet from the router. Did I read that correctly that they are best at least 30ft away?

Thank you for the info on the modem. And the headsup on the apple products
Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements