Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Pro WiFi 6 (SXK80) AX6000: Unknown Devices that begin with DEV.

JasperC
Tutor

Orbi Pro WiFi 6 (SXK80) AX6000: Unknown Devices that begin with DEV.

All known devices are defined already. I believe the devices that are unknown are related somehow to the router, i.e. not a device that I have not defined. 

At orbinlogin.net, go to Advanced > Setup > LAN Setup > LAN 1 > Address Reservation > Add. A list of devices available for a DHCP reservation will be displayed. The last device listed always begins with DEV. This is the same situation for LANs 2, 3 and 4. Each device is assigned an IP address ending in .1 and each device has an only slightly different MAC address. See attached for an example (only one device in this LAN because it is my Guest LAN). 

Does anyone have any idea what this could be? 

I understand that Netgear has telemetry in its firmware, enabled by default. Could this be it and if so, how would I disable it? 

Thanks. 

Screen Shot 2021-08-27 at 9.23.38 PM.png

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

@JasperC wrote:

Yes, under LAN setup, each LAN is 10.0.0.1, 10.0.10.1, 10.0.20.1, 10.0.30.1. DHCP Server range = 2 - 254. I just thought it was odd. Perhaps it is required for the router LANs to function. I was just wondering about it and Netgear support couldn't explain it.  

Of course each network resp. each VLAN the router requires an address in the local IPv4 subnet ... so no "perhaps"

@JasperC wrote:

So I didn't know if it was related to telemetry. I have been advised to watch out for telemetry being default enabled on Netgear routers. 

Of course it's mandatory for the LAN operations 8-)

And of course it should not be listed as connected devices in neither the local Web UI (-> @BruceGuo pls.) nor in the cloud with the Insight App or Web portal.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 9

All Replies
JasperC
Tutor

Trying again to get the image to post. 

Message 2 of 9
JasperC
Tutor

Screen Shot 2021-08-27 at 9.23.38 PM.png

Message 3 of 9
schumaku
Guru

Before of the whatever device name shown there, check the MAC address, specifically the OID. There is a bit which gets set in the OUI portion of a MAC address to signify a randomized / locally administered address. The quick synopsis is to look at the second character in a MAC address, if it is a 2, 6, A, or E it is a randomized address. 

So Android (since v8 an option) and many Apple devices (for a year or so) default to random MAC addresses for privacy reasons (intended for public wireless networks primarely). As longas a WiFi connection is defined (on the client) to use random MAC, each connection to a different SSID (network name) will lead to a different MAC address in use.

PS. in-line image require mandatory moderator approval.

Message 4 of 9
JasperC
Tutor

Hi @schumaku

Thanks for your response. Yes, I know what you are referring to. Apple instituted private addresses a while back. And I subsequently identifed the devices with private addresses in my network. That is a good tip regarding how to identify a randomized address. Each DEV device has a randomized address. There is one DEV device in each LAN (1-4), all IP addresses ending in .1.

However, I have already identified every device (even private addresses) in each of my LANs. I just think these devices have something to do with Netgear or the firmware. For example, I have a guest LAN that I don't use at all, and yet a DEV device is displayed as an option for DHCP reservation. And I have a NAS LAN which only has a single NAS device attached to it, and yet a DEV device is also displayed as an option for DHCP reservation in this LAN. 

Also, I should note that these devices are only displayed when assigning DHCP reservations in orbilogin.net. They do not display when assigning DHCP reservations via the Netgear Insight web portal. 

And yes, I guessed images required some sort of approval. I understand why, but it certainly does slow down trying to communicate one's issues. 

Thanks again for your help. Open to any other suggestions. 

Message 5 of 9
schumaku
Guru

Does the Orbi Pro AX router operate on the various VLANs and SSIDs on the .1 IP address, and for whatever reason the router VLAN adapter IP (also using such kind of modded MAC addresses) is shown on the Web UI?

Message 6 of 9
JasperC
Tutor

Yes, under LAN setup, each LAN is 10.0.0.1, 10.0.10.1, 10.0.20.1, 10.0.30.1. DHCP Server range = 2 - 254. I just thought it was odd. Perhaps it is required for the router LANs to function. I was just wondering about it and Netgear support couldn't explain it. So I didn't know if it was related to telemetry. I have been advised to watch out for telemetry being default enabled on Netgear routers. 

Message 7 of 9
schumaku
Guru

@JasperC wrote:

Yes, under LAN setup, each LAN is 10.0.0.1, 10.0.10.1, 10.0.20.1, 10.0.30.1. DHCP Server range = 2 - 254. I just thought it was odd. Perhaps it is required for the router LANs to function. I was just wondering about it and Netgear support couldn't explain it.  

Of course each network resp. each VLAN the router requires an address in the local IPv4 subnet ... so no "perhaps"

@JasperC wrote:

So I didn't know if it was related to telemetry. I have been advised to watch out for telemetry being default enabled on Netgear routers. 

Of course it's mandatory for the LAN operations 8-)

And of course it should not be listed as connected devices in neither the local Web UI (-> @BruceGuo pls.) nor in the cloud with the Insight App or Web portal.

Message 8 of 9
JasperC
Tutor

Got it. So required for operations, but shouldn't be visible when adding DHCP reservations. It is only listed via orbilogin.net. Not listed via the Insight app or Insight web portal.

Separately, I noticed another issue with the Insight app and Insight web portal. When I navigate to a specific VLAN and select to add a DHCP reservation, I would expect Insight to provide a list of connected clients to choose from specific to that VLAN. However, instead Insight provides the entire list of connected clients for all VLANs. Orbilogin.net shows connected clients only relevant to the selected VLAN. So in this case, orbilogin.net gets right and Insight doesn't.

Thanks for your help.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements