Re: Orbi Pro WiFi System: Feedback and Feature Requests Page

Kristopher
Guide

Two requests:

1) Give admins ability to allow some devices to be available on both Wireless 1 and Wireless 2, like a printer/scanner. Without that, Wireless 2 becomes largely useless to "small offices".  I can see how the current strong isolation is good for a "coffee shop", where employees do not have computers that need access to other devices, but in an office environment some things, like a printer, need to be available everywhere.

2) Provide QOS settings like more Enterprise routers/mesh would. Small Office customers like us may use services like RingCentral (which we use) or Skype for Business to provide their telephony.  For this we need the ability to downgrade priority of employee Spotify, Mac App Store updates, etc. and prioritize client calls for bandwidth purposes. It would also help if you provided guidance on how to set the QOS settings for services like RingCentral, which is a popular telephony service for small businesses.

There are other improvements that could make the offering more attractive to small businesses - like integrating a hard drive for Time Machine backups or allowing it to function as a media streaming server (AirPlay, Plex, etc.) - but I think they are less mission critical than the two above. But, if Apple is out of the router business, and more small businesses are using Macs, then filling that "Apple integration gap" would seem sensible.

Thank you,

Kris

Message 26 of 92
johngm
NETGEAR Moderator

Very reasonable and well defended request.  I have certainly heard the first one and we are in process of considering if it is feasible with the network architecture and routing capabilities of the design.   

With regards to QoS, similar to above, but I would warn you that we will consider adding some application based QoS rules but I consider this a slippery slope.   Since the product is aimed a fairly low tech customers, I would want to implement the feature in a way which would be understood by your elderly aunt (that's an old adage for ease-of-use standard which doesn't work if your aunt worked for IBM's network architecture team like mine did.)

Thanks for taking the time to capture your thoughts Kris, this is one of the primary sources we use to prioritize feature and product development roadmaps.

John

Message 27 of 92
johngm
NETGEAR Moderator

Circle is a parental control tool which is structured to fit a family enviornment...not really how we saw Pro being deployed.   Your suggestion is a good one as business owners would obviously want to control the usage of their guest wifi.   We'll look at what we can do to offer some options in that area.

John

Message 28 of 92
Flash008
Luminary

New customer to Orbi Pro. Had Orbi consumer version when first launched, but had to return it due to many problems.

My request for Orbi Pro is:

VLAN Support

QoS Support

It is impossible for Netgear to advertise this as a business class prodcut. Large, Small or local coffee job does not matter. The most BASIC and cheapest SMB network products support VLAN and QoS. All Netgear business products (made for SMB) support VLAN and QoS. Why does Orbi Pro not do this?

Having used both Orbi and Orbi Pro, and being a Silicon Valley tech nerd...I can factually tell everyone that Orbi Pro is running the same code as consumer Orbi. Only with some minor tweaks. Put in a different plactic package and advertised as a business class prodcut.

But there is little that makes Orbi Pro business-class (any size business) in the current state.

VLAN Support per BSSID

QoS control

Some performance data for that poor IT guy that needs to troubleshoot why a user is claiming connection or slow performance problems.

SNMP (common feature on most SMB business products).

Syslog remote server (everyone has this, EVEN CONSUMER GRADE PRODCUTS OFFER THIS).

Band Steering Controls (How hard would it be to enable some access to already built-in settings?)

Before Netgear responds with the “default”...”Not a product made for technical people”. Need I REMIND Netgear that the “Business Class” prodcut will be purchased by business owners and when they have problems or requests....They WILL call thier “Tech Nerd Friend” for help. And when I tell them this product is no better than the cheaper consumer version...It will get returned.

Netgear...Make Orbi Pro a “TRUE” SMB product. Most features found on your business network switch and router products should be redundant for Orbi Pro.

Many of the feature request involve little code changes and Orbi Pro CPU will easily handle some 802.11Q tagging.

QoS could be simple CoS tags of which the customer router can handle QoS enforcement.

A little tweak of the Orbi App and/or Web GUI showing some statistics for mbps, packets per second, link rates and other basic WIFI data...EASY!!! No excuse you cant enable this.

Syslog server setting....REALLY????

Band Steering Control....Simply expose the band steering settings.

Some users will find little reason for it....but many business owners in complicated environments with multiple use cases will need “Flexibility”...Home users need one use case......Internet, Website, YouTube and Netflix.....Business users need MUCH MORE!

Message 29 of 92
Flash008
Luminary

Netgear.

I dont know what world you live in. But many poeple have managed switches. I just spent HOURS trying to get Ethernet backhual working....

You use STP. With no option to disable it or configure it. Furthermore you are using classic STP, and not Rapid STP. This  makes it very difficult to achive ethernet backhaul with managed switches that will fight Orbi. I did change my STP ID down to 61440 and I could see Orbi take over STP root wiht its default 32768. But you use STP Classic....which means tolpolgy changes will take too much time.

Can you PLEASE provide an option to disable STP on your prodcut..OR...move to RSTP.....

If the customer has managed switches with RSTP....Orbi will not need STP Classic and EVERYTHING will work better.

This is an EASY FIX...Just let us disable STP with ethernet backhaul manaully and problem solved.

Message 30 of 92
Flash008
Luminary

Total silence from Netgear...

Typical....

Message 31 of 92
Blueflash
Tutor

We are a small music venue. We use wireless 1 for our debit card readers, wireless 2 for our staff connections, and the guest network for our customers.

We would like some means to prioritise the different wireless networks over one another if possible. Failing that a way we could prioritise certain devices such as our debi card readers.
Model: Orbi Pro Tri-band WiFi System (SRK60) AC3000
Message 32 of 92
BretD
Admin

@Blueflash wrote:
We are a small music venue. We use wireless 1 for our debit card readers, wireless 2 for our staff connections, and the guest network for our customers.

We would like some means to prioritise the different wireless networks over one another if possible. Failing that a way we could prioritise certain devices such as our debi card readers.

Thanks for letting us know how you use Orbi Pro for your small venue!

I'm forwarding this message to my product team so we can investigate a solution for you.

Thanks!

-Bret

Please click KUDOS or REPLY If you found this helpful.
Message 33 of 92
johngm
NETGEAR Moderator

Sorry for the delay responding.

You may have seen my posts about Orbi Pro and the target user it was defined for.   One of the learnings we have had with this product is that in addition to the thousands of DIY small business customers we sell these to, we have also found that commercial network managers would like a meshable WiFi network extender.  This has been added to our roadmap and is a solution we are working on.   

What we are hearing includes:

- like that the orbi pro satelite wifi and ports can be placed anywhere don't need wired backhaul

- like the outdoor variant of the product

- like wired backhaul as an option

- would like a traditional ceiling mount

- would like PoE support

- would like VLAN routing and port assignments

- would like to expose the WLAN and LAN configuration

- RSTP

- Others?

-

Message 34 of 92
Flash008
Luminary

Good to see the response. Thank You! Any way to get a timeline, estimate, etc. Maybe a beta testing group for people like myself who can handle it.

I must say that Orbi Pro was disappointing once I unboxed it, powered it up, logged in and realized it’s the same as Orbi Consumer Edition, only with a tweaked OS and a new plastic casing. For Orbi Pro to be a real "Pro" SMB product, it needs SMB network features.

Message 35 of 92
Kristopher
Guide

I would like QoS controls for our ringcentral telephony service. Perhaps even an option with the best settings for ringcentral already preset so pro-sumer business owners like me don’t have to learn all the lingo for networking.
Message 36 of 92
NaderA
NETGEAR Expert

Hello BlueFlash,

Thank you for choosing Orbi Pro for your business WiFi needs.

We saw your comments and are investigating how to provide this functionality to Orbi Pro users in a simple and easy manner that does not divert the product from its main objective which is to be the simplest and most user friendly DIY WiFi, yet have features such as this so that business owners like yourself can use and enjoy it.

Please bear with us as we are working on this feature request and hopefully will update you with our progress soon.

Thanks again for your business,

Orbi Pro Product Management

Message 37 of 92
drowsychicken
Initiate

Having a content filtering solution like Circle for the SMB world is big deal for the SMB owners I help on the IT side of things.  I considered the Orbi Pro system recently but had to go back to a Fortinet solution because they offer AV and Content Filtering solutions that run on their routers.  If you could offer a "Circle like" experience for SMB owners that are not tech savvy I think you could have a differentiating product.  Hope to see this functionality added in the future.

Message 38 of 92
toe
Apprentice
Apprentice

@johngm

Wired AP without backhaul in Layer 2 mode. So each AP doesn't pass all traffic to the main unit. In large environments, the 1Gig connection in the main unit is a real bottleneck, and small businesses have faster routing/switching gear than the Orbi anyway. This is deal breaker for me to recommend Orbi to install in office spaces.

If you want an example of how this is done, check out Aruba Instant AP's. This is what i recommend for small offices.

Message 39 of 92
nhinkle
Apprentice

Besides better quality control, my biggest ask would be for the Orbi Pro to have the generally understood network separation that has existed in business networks for decades; that is, 1) networks exist on separate subnets with distinct hdcp and DNS settings (if supplied by the router and not passed through). 

The reason for this is simple - an admin network has access to all the management ports of all devices and servers on the network.  The employee network should have access to the printers (which are also on the employee subnet) and servers, though the server access is through the lan port and another distinct router/firewall (i.e. distinct subnet or vlan).

The only network that was almost implemented correctly is the guest network, in that it adds time limitations.  Unfortunately, Netgear seems to think the guest network deserves to reside inside the business network which is just a complete no brainer NO!  Guest network is completely firewalled from the business network and only gets public DNS resolution.

The network design of the Orbi Pro is obviously designed by some marketing person who has no practical understanding of business network architecture. 

I understand dumbing down for ease of implimentation, but there is also just plain stupid.  To be politically correct, the current network separation design is a far cry from optimal and really not even utile.

Message 40 of 92
SteveCo
Aspirant

Amen to this. The employee network is useless. It is basically another guest network with no use. Employees need access to the resources on the administratrative network. The ability to select which resources are needed by employees  is imperative. I agree that the guest network needs to be totally isolated from the other networks.

Also, we use LIFX A19 WiFi light bulbs for affect and security. They are on and off the network contantly. Tired of having to manually turn them off and on to get them back on the network. Have worked extensively with LIFX to solve the problem. LIFX has been wonderful, but still cannot solve the issue. All netgear tells me is that evidently the LIFX bulbs are incompatable with Orbi Pro. Not an acceptable answer.

Model: Orbi High-Performance AC3000 Tri-Band WiFi System (RBK50)
Message 41 of 92
schumaku
Guru

@SteveCo wrote:

Also, we use LIFX A19 WiFi light bulbs for affect and security. They are on and off the network contantly. Tired of having to manually turn them off and on to get them back on the network. Have worked extensively with LIFX to solve the problem. LIFX has been wonderful, but still cannot solve the issue. All netgear tells me is that evidently the LIFX bulbs are incompatable with Orbi Pro. Not an acceptable answer.

When reading things like "please login to your wireless router settings and DISABLE Airtime Fairness and/or WMM" on a smart home device/appliance maker support pages, my trust goes down massively. Would not wonder one second if these LIFX devices have massive problems with optional WiFi standard features not commonly implemented on consumer routers. Have seen several embedded WiFi clients struggling badly when deassociated for  roaming it over to a neighbour AP by a business class wireless system AP.

Message 42 of 92
Flash008
Luminary

Any idea, estimate, etc of a new Orbi Pro update with ANY of these features????

Message 43 of 92
Flash008
Luminary

Any update from Netgear? Backhaul (with managed switches), RSTP, VLAN Support, etc, etc...Any "Pro" features due this month of October????

Message 44 of 92
DaneA
NETGEAR Moderator

Hi to All,

A new firmware has been officially released for the Orbi Pro WiFi System which is firmware v2.2.1.210.  I suggest you to upgrade the firmware of both Orbi Pro router & satellite.  

You can download Orbi Pro firmware v2.2.1.210 on this link.  Let us know the results.

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 45 of 92
Flash008
Luminary

You may wany to inform everyone to HOLD. You have not yet released this code for RBS50Y. Which all nodes must run the same code for all features to work properly. And, from what I have read on the consumer Orbi forum....it doesnt sounds like this new code s "problem free".

Message 46 of 92
Flash008
Luminary

No vLAN support, no QoS/CoS, no SSID seperation......And we paid DOUBLE the price for this "Pro" business model.

Anything we requested in this thread????

Very sad...

Message 47 of 92
Pwebb
Tutor

Post update reboot gets a page not found error on your servers, FYI not great user experience. Also if your intent is to make this so easy your aunt could set it up(per prior netgear staff thread response).... Telling users to nuke and redo config is kind of silly.
Message 48 of 92
Flash008
Luminary

LOL! I was thinking the same thing earlier today. If this is a Pro/Business product. And you ask your "business" customers to "reset" and blow away the config and start over...LOL.....!!!!!

LOL LOL LOL 😂 

You would get laughed out of the tech industy.

Netgear needs to make a choice. Either drop the price of "Orbi Pro"....and treat it like a "premium" version (another tier) of the consumer Orbi prodcut line....

OR....

Act like a true business prodcut and stop this silly, amateur hour, garbage.

VLAN Support for ALL SSIDs.

QoS/CoS tagging

SNMP

STP/RSTP Control

Abilty to seperate SSIDs

And other BASIC business network features.

Message 49 of 92
sandromari80
Initiate

Rif.: Orbi Pro WiFi System: Feedback and Feature Requests Page

I would like to ask for the possibility to monitor the bandwidth used by each device connected to the orbi.
Model: Orbi Pro Tri-band WiFi System (SRK60) AC3000
Message 50 of 92
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements