Get Orbi Pro now

Orbi Pro Support

Login to discuss Orbi Pro

Highlighted
Tutor

Re: Orbi Pro WiFi System: Feedback and Feature Requests Page

Ran into another issue today. As others have mentioned, I need the ability to separate users seeing each other / seeing the network.

I'd like the employee wifi to have the ability to share a printer without giving them access to everything else on the network. 

Right now users must login to admin wifi (WIFI1) in order to print to wireless printer. 

Can we separate these two features on WIFI 2?

Message 76 of 92
Highlighted
Star

Good luck.  This thread and others have been active for over a year with no repsonse from anyone.  This company does not care about its business customers at all or support them in any way.  I have two of their top of the line Nighthawk routers, range extenders, and an Orbi system and there is no sign any of them will ever get any basic business class SSID features like the ability for guest network or simply additional seperated SSID VLAN users to see each other and share printers.  I really wish they cared but they do not.  I once heard they would add something in the future like 6 months ago but it's clearly way too hard to write that simple checkbox in the firmware.  I'd say, it may be best to get another product or just accept that those users will just never get access to that printer!  That's what we did here.  Sad.

Message 77 of 92
Highlighted
Luminary

KevAHaey and Surenm,

I just want to let you both know that things are getting better.

I do not work for Netgear, or I have any influenced relationship with Netgear. If you look at my previous posts you will QUICKLY see that I too shared the opinion you have Surenm. And I almost gave up. But before I decided to throw the white flag, trash my investment, I made a choice to cause a BIG splash within Netgear. And I can tell you now that we have their FULL attention. There are some good people on this Netgear Orbi Pro team that DO CARE and are reviewing these comments regularly. However, they are a little GUN-SHY to reply, because we have a tendency to hold them accountable to anything they say. Hence their willingness to publicly commit to certain things is..."approach with caution".

I am very pleased to tell you, and anyone else who is at the end of their rope with Netgear, that good things are happening and you should see it soon.

This DOES NOT imply that you will get everything you want. But they are working very hard to get us close-to what we want.

So please, be patient (LOL, I know you already have)....

I wish I could share more with you, but I can't due to agreements I have made.

Again, good things are coming.

I encourage you to review and post your comments at the thread I created.

As I have expressed to my thread and others here....Be constructive. Not negative! Post your problem or request. Explains it, offer recommendations....solutions, etc, etc. I promise you that your "well-constructed" post(s) will find its way into their weekly team meetings. But "bitchy" post(s) most likely will not.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-Pro-WiFi-for-Small-Business/Making-Orbi-Pro-Better-Feedback-Th...

Message 78 of 92
Highlighted
Star

I wrote a post there.  I seriously doubt there will be any attention to it but if you say there's a chance, maybe in 2022 they'll add this feature.

Message 79 of 92
Highlighted
Tutor

Thanks for the feedback. I read through this thread and some others as well as all of the change logs in the firmware updates before purchasing/posting here. It does seem like the dev team is working on providing as many enhancement requests as possible. I'm sure that some features require more work than others, especially with an existing product that is already in use. It's one challenge to design a new product from scratch (which Netgear may have done better) but it's another thing altogether to continue improving the product after launch. Generally company resources for the original project team are more available than for post go live support. So I came to give kudos to the production support team who is no doubt working hard to design requested enhancements.
Message 80 of 92
Highlighted
Apprentice

1) Is it possible to request the ability to assign preferential wireless eg 2.4,5,5-2 to devices based on mac addresses? eg connect to 5-2 1st priority else 5 then 2.4 or only connect 5ghz and not 2.4? (wireless 1)

2) Assign separate DHCP to GUEST network so we are able to assign a different private network altogether while still able to give them internet access. Else add the option to segregate the clients so they are unable to talk to anyone else except the router and satellites like wireless 2.

3) Everytime i assign fixed dns to the internet setup, it gets reset to default i.e. ISP assigned when the router reboots. This is irritating and inconvenient. 

4) Faster reboot would also be nice. The router reboot sequence is like waiting for the kettle to boil.

Message 81 of 92
Highlighted
Aspirant

Any plans launching IGMP in sattelites?

Model: SRK60B03|Orbi Pro Tri-Band Business WiFi System
Message 82 of 92
Highlighted
Guru

@davidcheok wrote:

1) Is it possible to request the ability to assign preferential wireless eg 2.4,5,5-2 to devices based on mac addresses? eg connect to 5-2 1st priority else 5 then 2.4 or only connect 5ghz and not 2.4? (wireless 1) 

Aehm that's not how wireless works. There is no such priority control from the wireless AP radio side, nothing the like in the IEEE 802.11 standardisation. 

@davidcheok wrote:

2) Assign separate DHCP to GUEST network so we are able to assign a different private network altogether while still able to give them internet access. Else add the option to segregate the clients so they are unable to talk to anyone else except the router and satellites like wireless 2. 

This would require two completely isolated broadcast domains - read mutiple VLANs - a feature Netgear does not intend to introduce on Orbi Pro (or Orbi).

@davidcheok wrote:

3) Everytime i assign fixed dns to the internet setup, it gets reset to default i.e. ISP assigned when the router reboots. This is irritating and inconvenient. 

This reads like a bug - firmware version?

@Hundikoer wrote:

Any plans launching IGMP in sattelites?

IGMP Multicast snooping for the Orbi Pro system (backhaul [wireless and wired], LAN ports on the router and the satellite, and the wireless radios)?

Message 83 of 92
Highlighted
Apprentice

@davidcheok wrote:

This would require two completely isolated broadcast domains - read mutiple VLANs - a feature Netgear does not intend to introduce on Orbi Pro (or Orbi).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wait, VLAN/VLAN Tagging by SSID was in the original marketing/documentation when I (and many other here) bought this system. We've brought it up many times and were always told "future enhancement", even though it was pulled from revised documentation.

If this is officially "not happenning", I'm going to be livid. Netgear advertised this as a feature, and it was one of the main reasons I went with this system. Is Netgear going to buy these back at the price we paid? 

Message 84 of 92
Highlighted
Apprentice

Hey @Flash008 .

Have you seen this post? This is one of the main (advertised when I bought) features I have been waiting on. If this is a no-go, no amount of added dd-wrt packages like Syslog are going to make this a "Pro" level router. This is not ok. 

@davidcheok wrote:

Message 85 of 92
Highlighted
Star

Netgear has made it clear by their response and lack of response (which is a response) that they have no intention of providing any robust business or enterprise class features, such as VLANs or even the ability or option for guest clients to see and talk to each other without talking to the main Wireless 1 network.  There will be no printer sharing or other separate networks possible.  Orbi is a nice consumer product.  Orbi Pro is also a nice consumer product or at best a prosumer product for very small businesses with a few employees that need a repeater for their barn outside.  They are not business class products with business class features and we should give us hoping that Netgear will see their own products any differently or add any of the features we'd like to see.  Personally, I have given up on this issue and made do with other solutions so my wireless guests can print without seeing or hacking my main network.

Message 86 of 92
Highlighted
Apprentice

"Aehm that's not how wireless works. There is no such priority control from the wireless AP radio side, nothing the like in the IEEE 802.11 standardisation. "

Ubiquity has a controller that does a seamless handoff between AP although that is enterprise class.. 

"This would require two completely isolated broadcast domains - read mutiple VLANs - a feature Netgear does not intend to introduce on Orbi Pro (or Orbi)."

That would be too bad. There are many other manufacturers that do that as standard.

"This reads like a bug - firmware version?"

Obviously. I doubt it was a feature. hahaha. Latest firmware. It was fine before. Not sure if its a gremlin only on my router though because nobody else seems to be complaining about it or they arent using default assigned dnses.

Message 87 of 92
Highlighted
Apprentice

"

Wait, VLAN/VLAN Tagging by SSID was in the original marketing/documentation when I (and many other here) bought this system. We've brought it up many times and were always told "future enhancement", even though it was pulled from revised documentation.

If this is officially "not happenning", I'm going to be livid. Netgear advertised this as a feature, and it was one of the main reasons I went with this system. Is Netgear going to buy these back at the price we paid?" 

Someone pmed me they are looking into it. I'll have a little more patience.

I was given the opportunity to either go for a ubiquity system or this netgear setup. I chose to go netgear because the ubi setup is a little more complicated to manage and I didnt want to be IT support for the rest of my life. Worst case scenario is to move over to ubi when the situation gets to a point where we cannot live without the promised features and relegate the orbi to some obscure function or just off-load them off cheap and cheerful. So far though the comms i have had with NG staff has been pretty good and professional so I will give them the opportunity to iron out their teething issues.

Message 88 of 92
Highlighted
Apprentice

"Have you seen this post? This is one of the main (advertised when I bought) features I have been waiting on. If this is a no-go, no amount of added dd-wrt packages like Syslog are going to make this a "Pro" level router. This is not ok. "

That response is not by a NG staff. I would take it with a pinch of salt.

Message 89 of 92
Guru

@davidcheok wrote:

That response is not by a NG staff. I would take it with a pinch of salt.

This is correct. That post was based on information provided by Netgear to the community over the last 2+ years. Netgear promised to enhance Orbi Pro L2 isolation between the different SSIDs, and vaguely agreed on ideas of adding the ability to make some devices (for example a shared printer) transparently available between defined SSIDs.

Message 90 of 92
Highlighted
Guru

@davidcheok wrote:

"Aehm that's not how wireless works. There is no such priority control from the wireless AP radio side, nothing the like in the IEEE 802.11 standardisation. "

Ubiquity has a controller that does a seamless handoff between AP although that is enterprise class.. 

The Ubiquity Zero-Handoff Roaming (ZHO) was implemented on their first generation APs only, and was their proprietary predecessor for the standardised Fast Roaming was phased in. It was implemented in a way that they operated all APs on the same channels with all the obvious disadvantages, even Ubiquity discourages the deployment of ZHO as the standard based fast roaming made it to their products, too.

Seamless Fast Roaming is implemented on the Netgear Mesh Wireless Extenders, on Orbi, on Orbi Pro, on the Insight WAC, and on the Netgear business wireless products, too.

Neither the less, both ZHO and Fast Roaming this has nothing to do with priorities assigned to wireless clients. That's why I wrote this before. Core of the IEEE design is that the AP are providing tables of neighboring access points so the clients supporting the feature can use the advantage.

Message 91 of 92
Highlighted
Aspirant

Hvordan ærdrer jeg min internet forbindelse. How do I change the name on my internet connection????
Message 92 of 92
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements