Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Pro Wifi 5 Business (SRR60) Questions - 3or4 SSID and Vlan/True segregation

jnz
Aspirant
Aspirant

Orbi Pro Wifi 5 Business (SRR60) Questions - 3or4 SSID and Vlan/True segregation

Hi all - looking at the Orbi Pro Wifi 5 (no need for 6 as my devices don't support it) and I just had two questions I am having a hard time finding straigth answers for.

1) It appears at sometime this unit was updated to support 4 SSID's (Admin, employee, guest, and IOT) just like the wifi 6 does - is that correct?

2) Can each SSID be assidned to a VLAN / segregated subnet so employee connections are truly segregated from guests and IOT connections?  If not, how much less secure is the Orbi's method for segregation?

Thanks in advance!

Message 1 of 3
schumaku
Guru

Re: Orbi Pro Wifi 5 Business (SRR60) Questions - 3or4 SSID and Vlan/True segregation

1) Yes, four SSIDs.

2) No, the classic Orbit Pro (WiFi 5) does not support VLANs. The segregation is done by MAC filtering on the devices (router and satellites). There is no way for eg. expanding an existing multi VLAN network, it's a closed system.
Message 2 of 3
jnz
Aspirant
Aspirant

Re: Orbi Pro Wifi 5 Business (SRR60) Questions - 3or4 SSID and Vlan/True segregation

Thank you so much.  So when the manual says the networks can not see each other [1], it is less true of a statement for the 5 than for the WIFI 6 version.  For instance, someone on the  IOT or Guest network could in theory hack into or intercept traffic on the employee network?  I am just trying to determine if this is a legitimate threat to a small business where a few computers will be on the employee network doing banking / financial transactions.  Trying to decide if it justifies spending the extra money for the WIFI 6 just for added security. At the end of the day I want a tech guy with no special network expertise to be able to configure and manage this in the most secure way!

[1] "When IoT devices connect to the IoT WiFi network, they cannot see other devices that are connected to the network and cannot access the local area network (LAN). Note: The router web interface calls the IoT WiFi network the Wireless 3 network"

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements