Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi Pro Wifi 6 2.5GHz Wired Backhaul reduces ethernet download by 50%

Orbi Pro Wifi 6 2.5GHz Wired Backhaul reduces ethernet download by 50%

I have gigabit internet service.  On a wired connection through the router I get my full speed.  If I use a wired backhaul (router port 2 to satellite port 1) and use a wired connection to any of the other ports on the satellite I also get my full speed.  But if I set router port 2 as the WAN and use the 2.5GHz wired backhaul my speed is cut in half.  Seen both, from the router ports and from the satellite ports.  

Needless to say I have my system setup wired backhaul router port 2 to satellite port 1 and use the router 2.5GHz port as my WAN.

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions

Yes, I will test the beta firmware. Please also advise if there are other fixes as this will assist in troubleshooting if some other issue pops up. Thanks.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 9

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

Confused a little bit - suspect you talk of the respective Port 1 which as a Multi Gig port does support up to 2.5 Gb/s, and what is by default the WAN port on the router. 

@stevethompson wrote:

...I have my system setup wired backhaul router port 2 to satellite port 1 and use the router 2.5GHz port as my WAN.

So this is the default or initial working config - correct?

@stevethompson wrote:

But if I set router port 2 as the WAN and use the 2.5GHz wired backhaul my speed is cut in half.

Reads like a correct config, so the wired backhaul is (either direct or via a Mult Gig capable switch) should allow a 2.5 Gb/s network link between the router and the satellite.

This should allow for example two plus Gigabit systems connected two to each GbE LAN port (two on router, two on satellite) to reach the full line rate.

This should not reduce the throughput from any Gigabit connected device (router or satellite connected) device to the Internet to half.

Just as a cross check - can you try establishing the backhaul link using a Gigabit LAN port instead, and see if the Internet speed test does also cut in half? 

Does this reflect what you have reported? If true, this is something @RaghuHR is kindly asked to look into.

Message 2 of 9

@schumaku wrote:

Confused a little bit - suspect you talk of the respective Port 1 which as a Multi Gig port does support up to 2.5 Gb/s, and what is by default the WAN port on the router. 

Yes.  Where Port 1 can be set as the WAN input from my modem, or can be set as a 2.5GHz LAN port and Port 2 operates as a 1GHz WAN port. 

@schumaku wrote:

@stevethompson wrote:

...I have my system setup wired backhaul router port 2 to satellite port 1 and use the router 2.5GHz port as my WAN.

So this is the default or initial working config - correct?

Yes.  I am using the default config where Port 1 is the WAN input from my modem, and I am using a Port 2, a 1GHz LAN connected to Port 1 of my satellite for the backhaul.  In this configuration I get full my full gigabit internet speed.

@schumaku wrote:

@stevethompson wrote:

But if I set router port 2 as the WAN and use the 2.5GHz wired backhaul my speed is cut in half.

Reads like a correct config, so the wired backhaul is (either direct or via a Mult Gig capable switch) should allow a 2.5 Gb/s network link between the router and the satellite.

This should allow for example two plus Gigabit systems connected two to each GbE LAN port (two on router, two on satellite) to reach the full line rate.

This should not reduce the throughput from any Gigabit connected device (router or satellite connected) device to the Internet to half.

This is my expectation as well, but the reality is that my wired internet speed is cut in half.  No impact to wireless speed. 

@schumaku wrote:

Just as a cross check - can you try establishing the backhaul link using a Gigabit LAN port instead, and see if the Internet speed test does also cut in half?

I believe this question was answered previously.  In the config I get full speed gigabit internet.

Message 3 of 9

One other point, as far as my currents needs are concerned I am getting everything I need from the Orbi system and expect no measureable performance boost (today) by using Port 1 for a 2.5GHz wired backhaul.  

I discovered this possible bug while checking out the various settings and config options for the system.  Hopefully Netgear can repeat my finding and it is firmware correctable.

Message 4 of 9
schumaku
Guru

@RaghuHR something broken here ....

Message 5 of 9

This problem still exists with fw 3.2.0.108

Message 6 of 9
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @stevethompson 

Thank you for your feedback. We found some areas needs to address that will improve the wired backhaul performance. We are working out for a better solution for this issue and currently testing. We hope to release the new firmware in comings month. Please stay tumed.

Best regards,

Raghu

Message 7 of 9
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @stevethompson 

We have fixed this issue. Are you interested in trying the beta FW? Do let us know.

Thanks,

Raghu

Message 8 of 9

Yes, I will test the beta firmware. Please also advise if there are other fixes as this will assist in troubleshooting if some other issue pops up. Thanks.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements