Orbi Pro connection with Google Home

ShepTechServ
Aspirant

Orbi Pro connection with Google Home

Having trouble maintaining connection with two Google Home speakers and Chromecast. Help please. Downloaded current firmware for router and satellite. NOT trying to use Guest access.

Model: Orbi Pro Tri-band WiFi System (SRK60) AC3000
Message 1 of 7
JohnC_V
NETGEAR Moderator

Re: Orbi Pro connection with Google Home

Hi ShepTechServ,

Welcome to our community!

As per checking that you were having trouble maintaining the connection of the google home speakers and chromecast. May I know if there is other wireless network in your location? You may try to change the channel. How far was it from the router? 

Regards,

Message 2 of 7
ShepTechServ
Aspirant

There are other wifi's in the area. The Google products can be "set up" on the Orbi Wireless 2 network however at the end of the setup it shows that the products can't be found on the network and don't think that they are connected.

The distance for the products is between less than a foot to a satellite to 30 feet away from the home base or the satellite. The products have all been successfuly used with a linksys router in the same locations.

Message 3 of 7
jpetrone
Tutor

If you set up devices on the Wireless2 network you will not be able to see or connect to them - this is a "feature" of the Wireless2 network. The only way to see devices like printers and IoT devices like Google Home is to have everything on the Admin network.

Message 4 of 7
ShepTechServ
Aspirant

But shouldn't everything on the Wireless2 network be able to see everything else on that network and access the internet? I don't necessarily need to see the IoT items on the admin network but I do need them to be connected to the internet. 

Message 5 of 7
jpetrone
Tutor

Devices on the Wireless2 network (or Employee network, same thing) cannot see other devices, no matter which network they are attached to. This is by design.

From the manual:

"When employee devices connect to the employee WiFi network, they cannot see other devices that are connected to the network and cannot access the local area network (LAN)."

All you can do is access the internet. Not a great design in my opinion but it is working as designed.

Message 6 of 7
ShepTechServ
Aspirant

I agree that it doens't make sense as a design. I tried to connect the google devices to the admin network and and the guest network - neither worked because it says that a password is needed; however a password is also needed on the Linksys network so I don't know why that wouldn't work either. 

Message 7 of 7
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements