Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Orbi Pro - rather undewhelmed!

cmj01
Tutor

Orbi Pro - rather undewhelmed!

This query relates to SXR80 (router and 2 satelites) which doesn't appear on the model list above...

Have just set this up and feeling a little bit underwhelmed.

I've got it running as a router connected to a Draytek Vigor 130 in bridge mode.

- I thought it had the Amor protection availble - which according to the literature is available for all Orbi mesh systems.... That is rather misleading isn't it? Maybe Orbi Pro should have a different name! Is it planned at all? I've got a free trial of the content filtering but struggling to find out what that actually does...Any details?

- No QoS settings?

- Does it even have a firewall built in?

It seems I should have gone for the Unifi Dream Machine Pro which has threat management and free support! Looks like I might need to add that to get the level of protection I need.

Maybe I'm missing somethign so please let me know if I am.

Many thanks,

Mike

Model: SRK60B03|Orbi Pro Tri-Band Business WiFi System
Message 1 of 4
plemans
Guru

Re: Orbi Pro - rather undewhelmed!

The Orbi Pro line doesn't offer amor as most business class setups have their own firewalls/protection and aren't in need of it. 

If its something you want integrated into the router, the Unifi solution might be the better choice. (sad to say)

I've struggled a bit with all the "add on services" netgear has been selling lately like disney circle, premium parental controls, armor, and game boost. At a certain point, some of the features should be included on systems this expensive. 

Message 2 of 4
cmj01
Tutor

Thanks for that.. What I was beginning to suspect. I liked the network segregation but I guess I could probably have implemented that on the home series?

Any recommendations for a good / cost effective firewall / threat detection system?

Many thanks,

Mike

Message 3 of 4
plemans
Guru

My home network isn't that complex or needing a ton of security so I make do with off the shelf antivirus/malware and a pi-hole with some aggressive blocking 🙂

I've tried the armor but found my solution worked better. 

So I can't give you a decent business class recommendation. Sorry. 

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements