Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi SXR30 Magenta light - repeatedly loses internet connection

sfttac
Aspirant

Orbi SXR30 Magenta light - repeatedly loses internet connection

Model SXR30 firmware version 4.2.0.122

I see many posts here as well as elsewhere on this. I loved this product until about a month ago and now it is very flaky. It will randomly drop its internet connection. I login to the router and see that it says "waiting" or no connection to WAN. I then bring up xfinity connection status on my phone, and all is well. xfinity sees my modem, can reset it, etc. I have an Arris cable modem.

If I reset the Orbi, it sometimes works. I've reset both the cable modem and the router, then did a factory reset. It won't last and will eventually drop again. I saw on other sites that downgrading the firmware helped. When I managed to get the internet up for more than 5 minutes, I quickly downloaded all the available router versions. I am now trying out version 3.2.33.108.

Because of the many forum posts both here and elsewhere, I would say this is systemic. Whatever it is needs to be fixed.

Message 1 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What all do you have connected to the SXR? 

Any LAN switches by chance?

Notice any ARP Storms happening on the LAN? 

Can you access the SXRs web page still? 

Message 2 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What LAN devices do you have connected? 

Can you still access the SXRs web page when this happens? 

Any LAN switches connected? 

Notice any ARP storms happening on the LAN side? 

What is the CAT# cable between the SXR and ISP modem? CAT6 is recommended. 

Message 3 of 18
sfttac
Aspirant

The router is connected to my ISP (Xfinity) via an Arris SB8200 cable modem.

I have two netgear switches, daisy changed downstream from the router. I can access the orbi maintenance page (192.168.1.1) even when the WAN connection has dropped.

On the SXR, I have the switches, and a single receiver for the solar panels on my roof. That receiver has a little antenna to get data from the panels, which then sends the production data to Tesla over ethernet.

Are you suggesting I use tcpdump or something to determine if there is an ARP storm? I cannot imagine anything I have would send ARP storms.

Message 4 of 18
sfttac
Aspirant

I am using Cat 6 cable between the SXR and cable modem.

Message 5 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Does the SXRs web page show that the internet is down when this happens? 

What are the model #s of these switches?

How often does this happen?

One way to check for ARP storm is to look at the switches All LED activity. If there all constantly flashing or ON, means there a ARP storm happening. LED activity should be random blinking unless your downloading or streaming something on a particular device. I saw this yesterday after putting my SXR30 online with a CM2000. I don't know if turning on a ethernet connected SXS30 triggered it or not. I wasn't looking at the front LED until I happened to see one of my switches constantly blinking. Then looked at the SXR and front LED was PINK. 

I'm going to try a reset and setup from scratch and put it online and test the SXR alone with one PC, then add in the network, see what happens, then try adding the SXS. This storm doesn't happen with my other routers. 

If you downgrade let us know the results.

Message 6 of 18
sfttac
Aspirant

The topology is SXR30 -> Netgear GS108 switch -> Netgear GS105 switch -> laptops

23 or so devices on wifi.

This router failure happens randomly. It happened 2 weeks ago and I fussed with resetting, powering off the cable modem, resetting to factory, checking firmware, etc. Nothing was stable, then it just as randomly started working again. I highly suspected my ISP, but there were no outages and everything looked normal. The fact that this has happened to others made me wonder.

In the failure case, the SXR is stuck "waiting" for internet. Even after I downgraded, it went into that state...I then released and renewed it's external IP address and it worked. BTW, it got the exact same IP and DNS servers as before.

It's as though the SXR is losing it's IP address and either it doesn't renew it's lease (or fails when it tries) or it doesn't renew at all. 

I'll post back from time to time if the downgrade holds (and will post again if it doesn't).

Message 7 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

OK thanks for the details. 

What is the CAT# cables between these switches? Same? 

I finally got my SXK30 online though it took me about a good 45 minutes. 
Would like to know if I set the SXR30 OFF line with a wired PC after it's factory reset and setup from scratch, if I set a 192.168.0.1 LAN1 IP address pool and range is .100 to .150. Disable all other LANs and WiFi accept for the main WiFi since I don't need or use these additional features, enable NTP and Traffic meter. All changes saved during the pre-staging of the SXR30 while not connected to any ISP modem. Powered if OFF. Rebooted a CM2000 cable modem, connected the SXR30 to the CM2000 and with only 1 wired PC connected to the SXR30 after it seemed to come online and ready, I did loose web page access to the router at 192.168.0.1 and found that the networking IP address on my laptop was now at a 174.something address. WTH. 

I tired the 174.something gateway address and could not access the SXRs web page whatsoever. I had to factory reset the SXR30 and setup from scratch while the router was connected to the CM2000 modem. Took another 30 minutes getting thru the web page wizard then setting up the LAN again for 192.168.0.1 and disabling the features I don't use one at a time. I graduated disabling features with just the one laptop connected making sure the LAN address didn't change on me. Managed to get it all setup and rebooted the SXR30 and while it rebooted I connected the mains from my switches to the back of the SXR30. I noticed while the SXR30 rebooted, the wired laptop reported a 192.168.1.something address, gateway reported a 192.168.1.1. I quickly disconnected the LAN mains as I didn't want this to change or populate to the home network. I watched the laptop and the IP address disappeared again and said the LAN was disconnected. I reconnected the mains from the home network again to the SXR30 and watched the laptop. Finally the laptop got a 192.168.0.something address. Home network seemed to be stable and no ARP'g seen. 

After the mains were online and no ARPg and speed tests were to spec. I powered on the SXS30 in the basement. I watched it as it's connected to a Daisy chained GS-108 near the router, then a GS-105 in the living room then another GS-105 at the SXS. Saw no ARPg and eventually the front LED turned BLUE. The other home switch is the main switch and it's a HP pro Curve. 

Must say this user setup process with a web browser is horrible and unexpected. I don't see this with any of my home class Orbi systems nor other NG routers. I don't remember having this kind of experience either on prior FW versions as well. The ARP storm I saw the other day when I first attempted to get this system online may have been due to the SXR changing the LAN address unbeknownst to me and me not seeing the change, once I turned othe SXS30, everything on the SXR was just busted entirely. Sorry about the rant. 

I'll monitor mine for next few days and see what happens. I'm also on the look out for mysterious reboots on the router. So far it's online working and seems stable. 

@BruceGuo @DaneA @RaghuHR 

Message 8 of 18
coolgreany
Guide

I've been experiencing similar random disconnects over the last few months.  See thread at https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-Pro-WiFi-for-Small-Business/SXR30-Router-loses-Internet-Connec...

Message 9 of 18
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @sfttac  We need debug logs from you to debug further.

Go to https://<ip add of router/satellite>/debug.htm

Click on start capture.

Once you hit the issue please save the debug logs.

You can upload into any cloud storage and send me a link to download the logs via PM. We will investigate and update.

@coolgreany  I have replied you. Please respond.

@FURRYe38  Please let us know any open issues with debug logs. Probably we can a have call with you if you want to discuss on the issue that you pointed out. Let us know.

Thanks,

Raghu

Message 10 of 18
sfttac
Aspirant

Okay, I will get the logs if it happens again. The system has been stable for 2 days with the downgraded firmware. I will post from time to time with status.

thanks

Message 11 of 18
sfttac
Aspirant

I just took a quick look at that page. There are two mentions of logs:

Save SOAP log between APP and Router

Start Debug Log Capture when boot up

The second one seems to imply I need to start logging and then reboot. Are you suggesting that when it happens, I do this? If I were to do that now while it is working, do you have a log rotator so that resources aren't overrun by logs?

Message 12 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

You only need these two:

Start Debug Log Capture when boot up

Enable LAN/WAN Packet Capture

Then select Start Capture. The logs will fill up and should over write and continue. 

Mines been online now for 2+ days:

System Uptime 02:17:34:13

Message 13 of 18
sfttac
Aspirant

Okay, it crashed again. Uptime was 08:03:09:25

I'm unable to attach logs as .zip file is not supported. If someone from netgear reaches out, I have them on google drive and I can give them a link.

Message 14 of 18
sfttac
Aspirant

I sent PM RaghuHR with link to logs.

Message 15 of 18
FURRYe38
Guru

Keep us posted on how it goes. 

I had over 3 days of solid uptime on mine:

SXR30Day3_Routermode_CM2000.png

I've had to take the 30 series down and put my 9 series up for some uptime testing with my CM2000.

Have you tried v4.3.1.106 yet? https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-Pro-Beta/In-Beta-SXK30-beta-firmware-version-4-2-1-106/td-p/22...

@sfttac wrote:

I sent PM RaghuHR with link to logs.

Message 16 of 18
sfttac
Aspirant

FYI, my system has been stable for over 8 days after a reboot. Same version 3.xxx firmware (not latest).

Message 17 of 18
sfttac
Aspirant

I hadn't noticed your link to the beta firmware. If my router crashes again, I'll give that a shot.

Message 18 of 18
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 17 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements