Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi firmware V2.6.0.108 no longer allows Orbi App connection

chadonmac
Initiate

Orbi firmware V2.6.0.108 no longer allows Orbi App connection

I let the Orbi insight app update my router and satelites to V2.6.0.108 and now i am unable to connect to my network through the local Orbi App.  I have tried all troubleshooting steps(I could connect through the app right before the upgrade).  Anyone else having this issue?  Also, an SRC60 statelite failed the upgrade and this firmware version isn't even available on the website yet to manually upgrade.  

Message 1 of 36
btrogdon
Aspirant

I read that the New Firmware was for SRR60 only and release notes said not to apply to Satellites. 

To my question, how can I upgrade Router to latest version?  I cannot even find it.

-Brad

~~

Message 2 of 36

Hi ,
I got exactly the same problem here. Trying to find the manual download but didn’t find it. After that opened the Orbi app and my router didn’t excised anymore.

I got the problem with the SRC60 always it doesn’t sync with the SRR60 firmware. I tried it in so many ways but it didn’t work.

Model: RBK53|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi System
Message 3 of 36

Hi Brad

It synced automatically with my SRR 60 and SRS60. The problem with the firmware is reconnection from the software of the app.
The syncing is only a problem with the SRC60.

Greets
Pascal.
Message 4 of 36
DarkVisa
Tutor

I've got the same problem. The orbo app showed that there was an update, which I have done. Now my Orbi app doesn't show my devices/network, plus when I try to see my devices remotely it says that my router is disconnected - which it isn't.

Any ideas folks?

Message 5 of 36

Hi Brad

It synced automatically with my SRR 60 and SRS60. The problem with the firmware is reconnection from the software of the app.
The syncing is only a problem with the SRC60.

Thanks
Pascal.
Message 6 of 36
DarkVisa
Tutor

Hi,

I have not problem syncing - just that the app doesn't connect anymore

Message 7 of 36
YeZ
NETGEAR Expert
NETGEAR Expert

We had issue with SRC60 firmware 2.6, so it was not released this time in IM 6.0 release, it will come later.

For users who have SRC60 and had issue syncing with SRR60 running 2.6 firmware, you can download SRR60 router 2.5 firmware from support.NETGEAR.com and downgrade SRR60 to 2.5.
Message 8 of 36
schumaku
Guru

@YeZ wrote:
For users who have SRC60 and had issue syncing with SRR60 running 2.6 firmware, you can download SRR60 router 2.5 firmware from support.NETGEAR.com and downgrade SRR60 to 2.5.

Is this also the work-around suggested for the subject Orbi App connection failure?

Message 9 of 36

Hi @YeZ,

Thanks, but the synchronization between SRR60 and SRS60 works. The only thing that not working is my third Router the SRC60 which has still the old firmware version v 2.5

The Orbi app connection is an other problem that must be corrected by netgear.

So still waiting on a solution

Model: RBR50|Orbi AC3000 Tri-band WiFi Router
Message 10 of 36
Retired_Member
Not applicable

@DarkVisa 

i may be wrong but too access the ORBI Pro, use the Insight app.

the ORBI app is for more for homes, not a business. 

cheers

dH

Message 11 of 36
DarkVisa
Tutor

Understood, however am a home user.

Message 12 of 36
DJHazmat
Star

Same to me as as well. Updated the SRS60, SRR60, and the RB50Y to 2.6.0.108 and lost the Orbi App connection. I contacted support and the response from netgear was that it was intentional. That the ability to support both Insight and Orbi app was too much for them and from 2.6 on only the Insight app would be supported. I then download and installed the Insight app, registered my Orbi Pro router and voila - the support for the router is horrible. It doesn't show connected devices, it doesn't let you modify the settings, it only let's you reboot the router(and presumably satellites too). With that , Netgear also dropped the free version of Insight(you still get a trial) in fovor of a subscription. Since I can't really manage the router and network with the Insight app, I won't be subscribing. Oh, and BTW, they said if I still wanted to use the Orbi App, I could downgrade the firmware. But of course, then I'm stuck with no further enhancements or bug fixes for the Orbi Pro system. 

Another thing, has anyone noticed that the wifi internet connections are dropping constantly with the new firmware?  Seems every 15 or 20 minutes that my laptop loses access to the internet and I have to toggle the wifi off and then on(or disconnect from the network and reconnect) to get internet access back. It started on 2.5.5.100 and continues on 2.6.0.108.  I don't remember it being so frequent on 2.5.4.104.  I can verify that I still have an IP address, but am unable to ping my router. I've checked for OS updates, etc. to make sure that isn't it.  It happens on my iPad, and my phone too!

Message 13 of 36
DarkVisa
Tutor

Hi,

Thanks for investigating with Netgear what the issue is re: Orbi app. If what you have written is true then I am at a loss as to why Netgear didn't inform its users - really bad form to leave everyone in the dark.

Secondly, if that is how Netgear are going to carry on then when the time comes to replace my Orbi system I would have serious questions relating to buying from Netgear. Their products might be good but if they are going to treat their customers like this I'm not interested. I'm certainly not paying for a subscription service which doesn't give full access to all things related to my network. Particularly as I/we had a perfectly good, stable and working Orbi app.

On the issue regarding stability - currently my network is very stable (since the update) and I'm not having any issues with my wifi dropping every 15/20 minutes. As for the future I'll give it some thought before considering downgrading. 

Message 14 of 36
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @DJHazmat 

Could you please send debug logs for your wifi drop issue? You can upload the debug onto google drive and send me the link via PM.

Mention the MAC address of the devices which are getting disconnected. 

Thanks,

Raghu

Message 15 of 36
dir
Apprentice
Apprentice

Dear Netgear Management:

Am I to understand that I can no longer use the ORbi app to access my SRR60 (Orbi Pro) router and satellites?  And that I'm forced to use your Insight app, which expires in March and Netgear will force me to pay a monthly/annual fee, just so I can perform normal activities on my router?

I do not own any other Orbi gear.  I don't have a huge network of Netgear devices that require complex management.  I don't need whatever the Insight app provides.  According to your "Insight Services" features, if I buy Insight Pro I get:

- Network Topology Map - which for me, is simply an image of the router and 2 satellites.  The "Map" doesn't display anything else because I don't own any other Netgear network devices.

- Ping and Traceroute - good god, every router ever manufactured for the past 25 years does this

- Radio-Level Configuration - I don't use this, I don't need this

- DHCP IP reservation - see "Ping and Traceroute"

- "Introduces Instant Captive Portal 1 AP 5-year subscription SKU" - I don't need this, I don't want this, I didn't pay to have this feature when I bought the SRR60.

So why am I being forced to pay for a "Pro" subscription?  I don't use any of the "features" of your Insight app.  I don't need the Insight app.  I can't use the Insight app because it doesn't do anything useful that I can't do with the Orbi app.

Further, the Insight app STILL (after months and years of waiting) STILL doesn't display all my wifi: Wireless 1, Wireless 2, Wireless 3, AND Guest Portal.  The firmware update 'ability' doesn't work ("Update failed" every time).

I appreciate that you don't want to support both the Orbi app and the Insight app for Orbi Pro users.  But you are still obligated to provide basic router configuration management for your Pro users.  You can have tiered capabilities for those users that have need of more complex management capability.  But what about basic Pro users that just need to update, configure, reboot, and review their router?

This is not the way to increase your market share.  This is how you die.

Message 16 of 36
Refiik
Initiate

I know Netgear heard it and they know it.

Time to move on to a better vendor.

There.

Message 17 of 36
bamacab
Tutor

I will be leaving netgear AND migrating all of my clients to another manufacturer because of this. They have simply gotten out of control. Many of my clients do not need Insight which is a horrible app I must add. To not offer a free version is ridiculous. It will take time but my time as a netgear customers ends after 25 years immediately. This includes all Arlo products as well. Their pact of communication and ridiculous policies will lose them many customers. I hope enough that that pay for what they have become.
Message 18 of 36
cecltd
Tutor

I also can't use Orbi app even my SRR60 firmware is just 2.5.1.106.

It is quite weird that home products are better than business products for such big brand.

Message 19 of 36
DJHazmat
Star

@RaghuHR 

Hey Raghu, thanks for the offer. Unfortunately, I downgraded the firmware on the SRR60, SRS60 and the RBY50 back to 2.5.4.104 which was the last firmware where I didn't get constant drops. Everything for me is as stable as it ever was now. the issue I had with this fw version was that I had to reboot the router every couple of days. So I can live with that instead of getting connections dropped throughout the day. 

Oh, and BTW, my Genie Aladdin Connect started working again after downgrading. I'm going to open a thread elsewhere for that. 

Message 20 of 36
cecltd
Tutor

It's very weired to fix the problem by downgrading the firmware. 

So what is the point of publishing a new firmware?  Not to fix problem but to create problems and shows you the old firmware is better?

Message 21 of 36
dir
Apprentice
Apprentice

I’m pretty sure that the reason they’ve updated the firmware is to move customers onto their new business model. It’s not about fixing and adding features; it’s about forcing customers to use a changed service that brings in new revenue streams.
Message 22 of 36
Tonytonytony
Tutor

Tried the insight app and did not like it with the new firmware upgrade, downgrade back down.
Now, let’s say I upgrade my firmware back to 2.6.0.108 and keep it.. I lose the orbi app... So, now I use Insight and I only have 1 month free? Then I have to pay to keep using the app? Doesn’t make sense or am I missing something?. is there another app I can use? What’s the point of buying an Orbi Pro? I noticed a new Orbi app update 3 days ago, does that fix the issue with using Pro on the new firmware? I don’t want to upgrade back to 2.6.0.108 to downgrade back again.
Message 23 of 36
dir
Apprentice
Apprentice

Without official word it’s hard to know for sure. All I can tell is that you’re correct- the latest firmware for the orbi pro disables access to the Orbi app and forces you to either use the Insight app or the web UI.
Insight will become a pay-to-use app in March. Do you either pay to use Insight or you can only access the Orbi pro configuration via the web UI.
Message 24 of 36
DJHazmat
Star

Yes, you can still use the web UI on the local network to administer the Orbi Pro. Since the latest firmware also killed my Genie Aladdin WiFi garage door opener ( wouldn't connect after the FW upgrade)  I decided to go back to the older most stable version of the firmware V2.5.4.104.  Yes, I know that the Aladdin has to have specific ports open, but I am running the Orbi Pro in AP mode, so there is no way to create port rules. I have them on my Frontier FIOS router for the ALaddin to get out and that hasn't changed. When I flashed back to V2.5.4.104 firmware, everything started working again.  Including the Orbi App on my phone. I'm good with this as it seems every update they break something different.   

Model: SRK60B03|Orbi Pro Tri-Band Business WiFi System
Message 25 of 36
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 35 replies
  • 17 kudos
  • 14 in conversation
Announcements