Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Orbi setup with ATT Modem, ethernet backhaul

JaideepA
Aspirant

Orbi setup with ATT Modem, ethernet backhaul

Hi,

I have ATT fiber modem with 4x1GB wired ports which will activate 4 wired ports in the house. I am planning to install Orbi Pro TriBand (1+3 units)

I am hoping the to install Orbi router to ATT Fiber modem. And connect the satellites to the wired ports in different parts of the house.

Can i have all the satellites on the wired network coming from ATT Fiber modem. So essentially Orbi router and Orbi satellites are peers on same ATT Fiber modem 'switch'? Is this doable? And is it safe?

Many thanks!

Jaideep

Message 1 of 5
--Chuck
Guide

For an ethernet backhaul: ORBI satellites should connect to the ORBI router or another ORBI satellite.
Message 2 of 5
JaideepA
Aspirant

Thanks for clarifying ... but my concern is that then will there be drop in speeds when we go from ATT Modem -> Orbi router?

Does Netgear has ATT fiber compatible modem and orbi router as one?

Message 3 of 5
FURRYe38
Guru

Be sure to post and ask about this information in the Orbi Pro forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-Pro-WiFi-for-Small-Business/bd-p/en-business-orbi-pro

Always ask the ISP on what they officially support. They will have this information. 

Good Luck. 

@JaideepA wrote:

Thanks for clarifying ... but my concern is that then will there be drop in speeds when we go from ATT Modem -> Orbi router?

Does Netgear has ATT fiber compatible modem and orbi router as one?

Message 4 of 5

@JaideepA wrote:

Hi,

I have ATT fiber modem with 4x1GB wired ports which will activate 4 wired ports in the house. I am planning to install Orbi Pro TriBand (1+3 units)

I am hoping the to install Orbi router to ATT Fiber modem. And connect the satellites to the wired ports in different parts of the house.

If it has four ports, your ATT fiber modem is probably a modem/router.

Two routers on your network can cause headaches. For example, you can end up with local address problems. Among other things, the other router can misdirect addresses that the Netgear router usually handles, such as routerlogin.net or the usual IP address for a router, 192.168.1.1.

This explains some of the other drawbacks.

What is Double NAT? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

You have a couple of simple options, see if you can bypass the router bit of the ATT fiber modem. Put it into modem only mode. Or use the Orbi in wireless access point (AP) mode.

You might get better advice if you told people the make and model of the ATT fiber modem.

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7