Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: OrbiPro SXR30 -- trouble recovering admin password

ragtime44
Aspirant

OrbiPro SXR30 -- trouble recovering admin password

Netgear's screen for admin password recovery provides for entering my router serial number, and answers to two security questions. After properly filling this out, Netgear then fails to open the window displaying the recovered password, but just requires a complete login again -- which is not possible without knowledge of the recovered password.

Message 1 of 4

@ragtime44 wrote:

Netgear's screen for admin password recovery provides for entering my router serial number, and answers to two security questions.

If you are trying to use the "password recovery" option, there is a bug in Netgear's implementation of password recovery on some devices. You can get locked into a closed loop.

If password recovery is enabled, but you have not set the answers to the questions, it keeps sending you back to the beginning of the process. If you haven't already given the thing your personal answers, they are not in its memory and it has no way of knowing if they are correct.

If the standard factory password (password) does not work, then you will have to factory reset the thing to get back to that. Then either disable password recovery (check the manual for your device) or provide some answers to those questions.

How do I perform a factory reset on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Message 2 of 4
ragtime44
Aspirant

I would like to thank Michaelkenward for his thoughtful reply; he described my situation to a “T.” Before I actually conduct a factory reset on my OrbiPro SXR30, however, I would like to confirm whether such a step is a necessary to eliminate a false “No Internet access” indication and a browser “Captive portal detection” message that occurs following my change in ISP. I recently changed my Internet supplier from a rural neighborhood wireless network to Verizon FIOS, and merely moved my Orbi router’s Ethernet WAN port connection from the former modem to the present Verizon Optical Network Terminal (ONT).

The Internet access supplied by FIOS actually works very well; however, my Windows “Network and Internet” status now displays “No Internet access”, and every browser insists that I “log in to the FIOS network before I can access the Internet”, supplying a “Captive portal detection” page for added information. Verizon FIOS needs no such login to obtain Internet access. If I connect to the WIFI network from the Verizon router provided by the FIOS installer, I get no such messages. However, I prefer to use my NetGear OrbiPro SXR30 mesh router system in order to obtain better WIFI signal strength throughout both upstairs and downstairs levels of my house.

Can you confirm that the best way to eliminate these problems is to repeat the NetGear router’s Internet setup process, employing, say, the Internet Setup Wizard? It appears that I need to do a “factory reset” on this router to accomplish this.

Message 3 of 4

@ragtime44 wrote:

I recently changed my Internet supplier from a rural neighborhood wireless network to Verizon FIOS, and merely moved my Orbi router’s Ethernet WAN port connection from the former modem to the present Verizon Optical Network Terminal (ONT).

If you have moved your router from one Internet service to another ISP, then it will still have the settings it needed to work with the old ISP.

The first thing that anyone should do when they change their Internet service is to reset the router and set it up to work with the new one.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements