Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Outdoor light schedule sucks

dir
Apprentice
Apprentice

Outdoor light schedule sucks

How can I set up the outdoor unit's light to be on overnight, say from 7pm until 6am?

The light's primary usability is art night (obviously) but the scheduling system doesn't handle the concept of night or overnight at all.
You have to enter a start time and an end time. Both allow you to specify any 30 minute time slot between 12am and 12 pm.

If I want to set the start time to be 7pm, the latest I can have the end time is 1130pm. If I go over that, I receive the error "Start time must be before end time".

I'm then forced to create a second schedule to start at 12am and end at 6am. I assume for that 30 minutes gap, the light stays on? Or goes off? No idea.

My issue is this:
If the light's primary purpose is to be used at night, why force the user to create two schedules? Why not just have the start and end time range from 12pm to 12am so that only one schedule is needed, and there's no ambiguity or uncertainty about the 30 minute gap (or whether you can specify 12am as an end time), and no frustration from users receiving wrote messages?

Of course, that would cause problems for people creating daytime schedules that span noon. BUT THIS IS A LIGHT. The majority use case is for night time scheduling.

Ideally, change the scheduling user interface so that this confusion and frustration can't happen.

/rant
Thank you for your time.
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
Leia
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Outdoor light schedule sucks

Hi @dir,

Thank you for reporting this problem. I can reproduce it. I'll file a bug to engieer team.

Orbi Pro admin GUI allows you to create multiple schedules. So you can create two schedules - 7pm ~ 12 middle night and 12 middle night ~ 6am as a workaround. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks,

-Leia

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 8

All Replies
dir
Apprentice
Apprentice

Oops. I meant to say that the latest end time currently is 1130pm.
Message 2 of 8
schumaku
Guru

Arlo is an independant business now - to my knowledge Orbi does not have a scheduling or outdoor lights at all. Head to https://community.arlo.com/ 

Message 3 of 8
dir
Apprentice
Apprentice

Sorry, not Arlo. Orbi outdoor satellite. I should have entered that in my original post.
Model: RBS50Y|High Performance AC3000 Outdoor WiFi Mesh Extender and Add-on Satellite
Message 4 of 8
schumaku
Guru

Okey .. yeah, this strange schedule "logic" is implemented on various products, no way for an On-Off-On schedule over midnight...

@YeZ please feed to the SMB BU (ref. Orbi Pro, Switches, WiFi schedules, ...)
@Christian_R plese feed the CHT BU with this again.

Message 5 of 8
Leia
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @dir,

Thank you for reporting this problem. I can reproduce it. I'll file a bug to engieer team.

Orbi Pro admin GUI allows you to create multiple schedules. So you can create two schedules - 7pm ~ 12 middle night and 12 middle night ~ 6am as a workaround. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks,

-Leia

Message 6 of 8
dir
Apprentice
Apprentice

Thanks for that. Just an FYI though. I can't create a schedule that ends at midnight ("1200am") because "Start time must be before end time ". The latest you call go is 1130pm. So there's a strange undefined 30 minutes between schedules.
Not that important. Just sayin.
Message 7 of 8
schumaku
Guru

Correct, this is reflecting the broken design 8-/

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation