Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Prepurchase question - Orbi Pro setup on existing network

shibbard
Tutor

Prepurchase question - Orbi Pro setup on existing network

I would like to set up a mesh wifi connected to our existing office & light manufacturing network.  Our current system is:

two fiber ISPs connect to:

1 -  microtik router which splits off VOIP to phone system and data to Meraki firewall

2 -  directly to Meriki firewall

Meraki firewall functions as router, DHCP server and of course firewall.  Also failover between the two fiber sources.

from firewall, data goes through HP managed switch to wired network.

Can I set up an Orbi system connected to this network to create mesh wifi behind the firewall?  I tried with another maker's home system and was unable to complete a setup that would work using the admin interface it provided so I want to confirm I can do this prior to making another purchase? 

Thanks!

Message 1 of 6
plemans
Guru

Re: Prepurchase question - Orbi Pro setup on existing network

You should be able to.

I've ran my SXK30 in access point mode attached to my current network. 

And it worked fine. 

I say *should* because stranger things have happened than a firewall/other router caused issues. 

Message 2 of 6
shibbard
Tutor

@plemans Thanks for your response -

Sorry to ask an obvious question but did your SXK30 function as a primary or parent node with child nodes on a mesh network when set as AP? 

Message 3 of 6
plemans
Guru

Not sure exactly what you mean by "parent" "child" nodes. 

I've ran it in AP mode connected to the following: arris w31, Orbi RBK53, and a CAX80.

Just to test them. 

I had the SXR hardwired in and then the SXS both hardwired and wireless (to test). 

Message 4 of 6
shibbard
Tutor

@plemansI think that clarifies it for me, thanks very much.  I was forgetting that the Orbis have different models for the router and the satellites.  I was using terminology that came from a Linksys system. It sounds like at least it could work.

Noobie questions  -  Does anyone from Netgear monitor the forum?  Am I likely to get a more definitive response from them here?  (I understand completely your caveat about Stranger Things happening)

And, if I mark your answer as Accept as Solution, does that close the thread? 

Thanks again.

Message 5 of 6
plemans
Guru

If you mark it solved, it doesn't close the post but it does tend to get less attention. 

Then tend to be a little more active on the business forum/devices versus the consumer forums. 

Maybe a mod will appear....:)

@BretD @DavidGo @hnagaraju @DarrenM 

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements