Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Router mode behind a private network

jmmeisner
Aspirant

Router mode behind a private network

I'm attempting to use an Orbi Pro on a private network but in router mode because of some issues I had with AP mode.

To set the table, the WAN IP on the Orbi is static and set to 192.168.7.198  (on a 192.168.7.0/24) network

and the LAN is 192.168.1.0/24 with the Orbi handling DHCP.

Here's my issue...

From the wifi network (192.168.1.0/24), I can RDP and ping computers on the 192.168.7.0/24 network, but I cannot do the reverse.

I have a static route from the 192.168.7.0/24 network that forwards traffic destined for the 192.168.1.0/24

network to the WAN port on the Orbi (192.168.7.198) and have confirmed the traffic is being forwarded.

What I'm wondering is, if the Orbi cannot handle that incoming traffic from the private network.  I would think that since they're directly connected, it wouldn't be a problem but it isn't working. Since two way connections are working in the other direction, I've looked to see if there is a setting on the Orbi that would block the incoming traffic, but if it exists, I haven't found it yet. 

I know this is complicated, but any thoughts?

Thanks!!

Model: SRK60B03|Orbi Pro Tri-Band Business WiFi System
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
jmmeisner
Aspirant

Yeah I get it.  And I knew what the problem was, but didn't feel like reconfiguring the rest of the network, specifically my Palo Alto firewall...

BUT, I did bite the bullet and configure one of the ports just for WiFi and then switched to AP mode.  I just wanted separation from the wired network.  Handling it with firewall rules instead of the way I had planned originally.  Everything is good now, it just took more work! 🙂

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 3

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

In router mode, there is a NAT router with firewall et all in place regardless if it's WAN/Internet interface is configured to a private IP or public IP network. It would not be complicated, however these routers can't be reconfigured as pure IPv4 routers (no NAT, no firewall).

What is the problem in AP mode? 

Message 2 of 3
jmmeisner
Aspirant

Yeah I get it.  And I knew what the problem was, but didn't feel like reconfiguring the rest of the network, specifically my Palo Alto firewall...

BUT, I did bite the bullet and configure one of the ports just for WiFi and then switched to AP mode.  I just wanted separation from the wired network.  Handling it with firewall rules instead of the way I had planned originally.  Everything is good now, it just took more work! 🙂

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements