Introducing the Orbi 970 Series Mesh System with WiFi 7(BE) technology. For more information visit the NETGEAR Press Room.

Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

SRR60 Dropped Wired Connections and Firmware Update

whartonw
Guide

SRR60 Dropped Wired Connections and Firmware Update

I am experiencing a great example of the typical problems with Netgear software.

The INSIGHT mobile app says there's a firmware update available for my router, but it also says that the update cannot be applied because Manual Update is turned off.

To turn on Manual Update, you must use the web interface for the router; this switch is found on the Advanced page, Administration, Firmware Update; once there, you must first run a Check for Firmware Update.

But the check says there's no new firmware available for the router; this result grays-out the Disable Automatic Update switch.

So, in summary, INSiGHT says there's a firmware update available, but the router interface says there isn't.  Bottom line, I cannot update the router firmware, which is desperately needed becase the router has dropped all my wired connections...but then I don't know if the firmware update will fix this problem or not.  Aaaarrrrgggh.

Netgear hardware is the best out there, in my opinion.  How wonderful a world it would be if the software that makes it go were of the same quality.

Any thoughts on a workaround (other than waiting until the update is automatically applied, which I am doing as we speak) would be appreciated.  Commiseration is also welcome, as would be better quality control for Netgear soft-/firm-ware.

Model: SRK60B03|Orbi Pro Tri-Band Business WiFi System
Message 1 of 8
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: SRR60 Dropped Wired Connections and Firmware Update

Please visit and post about this over in the Orbi Pro forum:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-Pro-WiFi-for-Small-Business/bd-p/en-business-orbi-pro

Thank you. 

Message 2 of 8
vajim
Master

you may want to post this here:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-Pro-WiFi-for-Small-Business/bd-p/en-business-orbi-pro

and in the mean time, you might want to stop with the firmware updates.

Message 3 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

@whartonw wrote:

Any thoughts on a workaround (other than waiting until the update is automatically applied, which I am doing as we speak) would be appreciated.  Commiseration is also welcome, as would be better quality control for Netgear soft-/firm-ware.

This is a situation where Netgear's community forums tend to isolate users into silos.  Although based on the same hardware as the residential Orbi, Orbi "Pro" is aimed at business customers and has different firmware and capabilities.  Likewise, Insight is a product aimed at business customers.  Both Orbi Pro and Insight have separate community forums where (presumably) customers discuss issues specific to their implementations.  There appear to be few residential customers who spend any time discussing those products.

I am so ill-informed about Insight that I naively had the impression that there is a "number to call for support" (because I thought Insight is a paid service).  Most of us came to the forums because our 90 days of "complimentary support" had expired long ago and we did not relish the thought of PAYING for assistance.

The residential Orbi has two ways to update firmware: the Automatic Tab and the Manual Tab. Page 110 of the SRR60 manual shows the same option for the Pro router: https://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/SRK60/SRK60_UM_EN.pdf 

Message 4 of 8
whartonw
Guide

Re-posted as you suggested.  Thanks.

ww

Message 5 of 8
vajim
Master

@CrimpOn wrote:

The residential Orbi has two ways to update firmware: the Automatic Tab and the Manual Tab. 

Not sure the Automatic tab(?) works...haven't seen auto pilot update in years.  Are we talking about the same thing?

Message 6 of 8
CrimpOn
Guru

Page 109 of the User Manual.

Enable the automatic firmware update feature

You can let the router automatically update its firmware and the firmware for any Orbi satellites on the network.

There are a number of ways the "Pro" product is different from the residential. "Why?" would be interesting to know.

Message 7 of 8
whartonw
Guide

Thanks for your reply.

I have the Pro model; my original post was on the residential forum by mistake.  Apologies.

ww

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements

Orbi WiFi 7