Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

SRR60 dropping connection and DNS since 2.6.x.x updates

SRR60 dropping connection and DNS since 2.6.x.x updates

All firmware versions 2.6.+ have destroyed my Orbi TriBand SRR60.

I have packet loss, but what's worse is it can't hold DNS. I've let it use the carrier's DNS server, quad 1s, quad 8s, and OpenDNS servers, and the results for each are the same.

After about 20 minutes to an hour it drops DNS. I can ping quad 8s, but can't browse due to DNS not working.

The only bandaid I had to get it working on 2.6.x.x would be when DNS dropped, I would reapply network settings from the web browser as if I were chaning network settings, and it would reset for a while and work another 20 minutes to an hour. These packet drops and DNS drops were consistent when using any version of 2.6.x.x firmware.

Something else it did on these versions was CONSTANTLY ask for username and password at the orbilogin.com page every few seconds as well. (both with the DNS name and the local IP address) I would enter it change a page or tab and it would pop back up again, and again, and again.

The ONLY thing that got me back to a stable working state was to roll back to v2.5.5.100 

This firmware version stopped the packet loss and the DNS loss.

For security purposes I want to move forward, but now I'm concerned that anything new will break my connection again.

Is a STABLE version of 2.6.x.x on its way???

Message 1 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: SRR60 dropping connection and DNS since 2.6.x.x updates

Its buggy firmware....again......this is the second release of buggy firmware......

You will probably will be asked to send a debug log......typical response from net gear....

I even think they test firmware before releasing it.....

Suggestion,,,,,downgrade to the previous firmware....

Message 2 of 8
BruceGuo
NETGEAR Expert

Is the AP managed by Insight?

Message 3 of 8

@BruceGuo wrote:

Is the AP managed by Insight?

No I manually manage it.

Message 4 of 8
BruceGuo
NETGEAR Expert

We are suspecting a software bug triggered by daylight saving starting from Mar 14 in the US timezone.

Can you help me confirm the issue is gone by changing the value from “0:00 am” to “1:00 am” in traffic counter setting (or you can disable it if you don't use it).  See below picture.

traffic meter.PNG

Message 5 of 8

@BruceGuo wrote:

We are suspecting a software bug triggered by daylight saving starting from Mar 14 in the US timezone.

Can you help me confirm the issue is gone by changing the value from “0:00 am” to “1:00 am” in traffic counter setting (or you can disable it if you don't use it).  See below picture.

traffic meter.PNG

I'm assuming I need to upgrade back to the latest to try this?

Since I'm currently in a stable environment for work running v2.5.5.100 I'll have to wait until after 5pm Eastern before upgrading and trying.

I won't lie, I feel like I'm going to break my stuff again, because this has been going on before DST, but for the sake of troubleshooting I'll give it a try for you.

Message 6 of 8
bulogyx
Initiate

I've also had this issue since manually updating to 2.6.2.200. The SRR60 has gone south at least daily since that update, first not properly responding to DNS and then claiming the internet is down when it isn't, requiring a restart to resolve. I just changed the reset time in the traffic meter. I'll report back.

Message 7 of 8
bulogyx
Initiate

Indeed that reset time change appears to have resolved the DNS issue. However, we have other issues with 2.6.2.200 and will probably revert. We use the VPN every day and it's simply no longer reliable.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements