Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

SRS60 Satellite does not sync by ethernet (AP Mode)

joshuapl
Tutor

SRS60 Satellite does not sync by ethernet (AP Mode)

Hi there,

I have recently purchased Orbi Pro SRK60 - a set of SRR60 + single SRS60.
Since I have much better router (Mikrotik), I decided to use Orbi as a mesh accesspoint network extension.
Also, I definitely don't want to mess with satellites connecting via Wi-Fi, which is useless - I have ethernet cables going to every possible floor and corner of my house.
As I found in the discussions, if I want to use ethernet backhaul with central ethernet switch, I should simply connect SRR60 to one of LAN ports and so with the SRS60. No need to sync manually etc.

So - I connected everything, configured the SRR60 to have proper login/password, my desired wireless network name etc. Soon when I logged in, I saw on status screen that one satellite is present. Looks good.

However... something is wrong:

- when I go to the device list, SRS60 is listed as connected via Wi-Fi

- the SRS60 is not syncing - I mean, it has still default SSID (ORBI58)

- I logged in to SRS60 (through its IP address) and it still has only default user/password (admin/password) set

I tried upgrading firmware of SRS60 manually (and did it, to the newest one, same as on SRR60), turning off and on, resetting to factory settings. Nothing helped.

Any idea what is going on?

Greetings,

-- 

Jacek 

Model: SRK60B03|Orbi Pro Tri-Band Business WiFi System
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: SRS60 Satellite does not sync by ethernet (AP Mode)

@JohnC_V 

The core part of the question is the ability to run the Orbi Pro system on a wired backhaul. We learnt - albeit from unofficial sources - the classic Orbi and Orbi Pro did require a workable Spanning-Tree Protocol (STP, 802.1d) to a certain config.

Some better sourced and validated information can be expected in this product class in my opinion. Testing on a pure and mixed wired backhaul in router and AP mode should be part of the regular QA and Beta testing, so this should not be asked to much. But hey, Negear does prefer to feed always nice Youtube video makers for receiving beta and marketing samples - requests from critical community citizens are systematically ignored.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

@JohnC_V 

The core part of the question is the ability to run the Orbi Pro system on a wired backhaul. We learnt - albeit from unofficial sources - the classic Orbi and Orbi Pro did require a workable Spanning-Tree Protocol (STP, 802.1d) to a certain config.

Some better sourced and validated information can be expected in this product class in my opinion. Testing on a pure and mixed wired backhaul in router and AP mode should be part of the regular QA and Beta testing, so this should not be asked to much. But hey, Negear does prefer to feed always nice Youtube video makers for receiving beta and marketing samples - requests from critical community citizens are systematically ignored.

Message 2 of 3
joshuapl
Tutor

Hi,

thanks for prompt answer! Indeed, I didn't try to simply connect satellite directly to the router.

I did it just now, and it seems this was the case!
So far I had a Tp-Link Deco M4 mesh system, and since these have two ethernet ports - I used one of these since I thought it's not going to make any difference.

Now, when I check, finally Satellite landed in "Wired" category. When I logged to the satellite directly through its IP, it already required my new user and password from the SRR60, but it still had original SSID (ORBI58). Few minutes later - everything worked as charm, and now satellite seems to connect well.

I will try to connect ORBIs either through my router (Mikrotik RB760GS) or with use of one of the switches (Mikrotik RB260GS). Both seem to fully support RSTP, so I hope it will work. If not, I'll still be able to have it connected, just with one more cable going from the closet to ceiling-mounted ORBI PRO 🙂

Thanks again! I'm really grateful for your answer 🙂

-- 

Jacek

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements