Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

SXK30 ethernet cable between the router and satellite

Old-Steve
Aspirant

SXK30 ethernet cable between the router and satellite

I bought the netgear Orbi Pro wifi 6 mini router and satellite.

I have an ethernet cable running between them but I think they are connected via wifi.

I am using ethernet port 4 on the router and ethernet port 1 on the satellite.

I can see the satellite is on ch 157 in my wireless client list.

Am I supposed to specify something somewhere somehow?

I just don't see it.

I would rather use ethernet as the backhaul connection instead of wifi. Especially since the cable is there in place!

I think it would be faster and more secure and more reliable. I can see the LED on the satellite light up and go magenta from time to time and it kind of bothers me.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

TIA...

Message 1 of 10
plemans
Guru

Re: SXK30 ethernet cable between the router and satellite

If they're hardwired in together, it should auto-negotiate to use that hardwired backhaul. 

If you log in through the browser, what is it showing for the link on the attached devices page? 

Message 2 of 10
Old-Steve
Aspirant

number 32

towards the bottom

OldSteve_0-1658591814877.png

Message 3 of 10
plemans
Guru

how exactly is it setup? 

Are you going from SXR---->SXS30? 

Or is there a switch in between? 
Or a modem/gateway device? 

What firmware is the router and the satellite on? 

What does it show if you (temporarily) direct connect the satellite to the router with a short 6ft cable? 

Message 4 of 10
Old-Steve
Aspirant

Ethernet cable from port 4 on the SXR30 router to port 1 one the SX30 satellite.

No switches in between. Nothing in between. The cable checks good.

Firmware v4.2.0.122

I don't know because the satellite is 50 feet away in my garage.

Do I have to do something to the LAN ports? Configure them so they know there is supposed to be a link there?

Message 5 of 10
Old-Steve
Aspirant

So I just double checked my ethernet cable. Its good. Its not 50 feet it's 89.1 feet and all the pairs are good. cat5e.

I unplugged my ethernet cable and everything is the same so it is definitely not being used for the backhaul connection.

I plugged it back in and went to VLAN/ Bridge settings in the advanced tab.

Port 4 on the router and port 1 on the satellite both show as not being connected. to anything. But I know the cable is good. I used the same ethernat cable with my last router and wifi extender. And it keeps passing the tests.

OldSteve_0-1658607371290.png

Doing some more research... is this a Netgear thing? I bought this router for the VLAN's because I have a lot of IOT devices and I wanted to separate them out on their own network.

But I bought the router on Amazon so I have X amount of days to return it. Good old Amazon.

I was actually torn between this Orb Pro wifi 6 router and the Netgear Nighthawk

NETGEAR Nighthawk 6-Stream AX5400 WiFi 6 Router (RAX50)

I had a R7000 Nighthawk before and I bought the Armor and Bitdefender.

Or this one...

NETGEAR Nighthawk Whole Home Mesh WiFi 6 System (MK62) - AX1800 router with 1 satellite extender, coverage up to 3,000 sq. ft. and 25+ devices

I have until Aug 13 to decide. I realize thats its a little chicken shot to buy things and try them out then return them, but I want what I want and I want it to be right.

Am I over reacting because my backhaul connection isn't hard wired? lol

You tell me...

Are any of these other routers any better? I don't think they have VLAN's built in like the Orbi Pro. I like the Orbi overall.

Now I am confused as all hell and any help and guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Tell me I am over reacting and just shut up and enjoy the internet! lol

Gotta keep smiling!

Message 6 of 10
plemans
Guru

Not great at vlans but try port 1 on the router with default and the others with trunk. put the satellite on that port 1

Message 7 of 10
Old-Steve
Aspirant

I give up.

I submit.

I am fighting a losing battle here.

I will just accept that my Orbi router and satellite will connect wirelessly instead of through an ethernet cable. Maybe a future firmware update will fix this.

Everything works, it's fast and pretty stable, so really I have nothing to complain about. I have my VLAN's set up and everything works as expected.Overall I am happy with it.

Thank you everybody for trying but I think it's a Netgear thing. I will shut up and submit and live with it.

Message 8 of 10
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Old-Steve,

Just to verify, login to the web-GUI of your SXR30 then check Attached Devices.  Is the SXS30 showing up on the list of Attached Devices? If yes, how is it displayed?  Is it showing wired or wirelessly connected?  Kindly post a screenshot of it. 

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 9 of 10
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Old-Steve,

Good day! 🙂  Just wanted to follow-up on this.  

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements