Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: SXK80 - Allow printer on two VLANs?

SXK80 - Allow printer on two VLANs?

Is it possible to share a device across VLANs?  In my example, I have a WiFi printer I would like to make available to more than just one VLAN (i.e. allow it on VLAN 1 and VLAN 20).  Is this possible?

Message 1 of 6
schumaku
Guru

@TheGrumpyGent wrote:

Is it possible to share a device across VLANs?  In my example, I have a WiFi printer I would like to make available to more than just one VLAN (i.e. allow it on VLAN 1 and VLAN 20).

Technically this does translate to have IP routing between the subnets, allow the VLAN 20 IP subnet accessible from the VLAN 1 subnet, and last but not least the unknown printer must be discoverable  eg. by the ubiquitous WS-Discovery using Multicast, and for other printer drivers probably other discovery methods (where most like IP broadcast can't work between different IP subnets).

Netgear released a Beta version -> [In Beta] SXK80 Beta firmware version 3.2.5.778 for mDNS service - however the feature was not made available on newer firmware builds yet. @BruceGuo when will this feature become available on production firmware for the SXK80 and the SXK30 Orbi Pro systems? 

Message 2 of 6

Thank you for the details @schumaku !  This makes sense;  I'm a bit surprised this wasn't available yet - I know the Orbi Pro has a "reduced functionality set" to support smaller businesses with no IT department, but having a printer etc. available on more than one VLAN is pretty typical.

Message 3 of 6
BruceGuo
NETGEAR Expert

Hi

From 4.2.1.112, SXK80 supports mDNS service which allows clients communicate with printer in different VLANs. The feature is located at ADVANCE page. Check it out.

Bruce

Message 4 of 6

Hi @BruceGuo , Is 4.2.1.122 still in beta?  I'm running V4.2.0.122 and its not finding any firmware updates at present.

Message 5 of 6
quagmire1
Luminary

4.2.1.112 was pulled, probably because of this.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements