Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

SXK80 - DHCP Question - Support for multiple DHCP assignments for the same device on different VLAN?

LarryNATL
Follower

SXK80 - DHCP Question - Support for multiple DHCP assignments for the same device on different VLAN?

Hello,

I have a question on the capabilities of the Orbi SXK80 product.  I'm working on my network design, and I have a question that I am hoping someone can answer (I have read the manual on-line and have searched the forum as best I could): I plan on setting up the Orbi with (4) networks - admin, family, IOT, and guest.  The admin domain will be dedicated to managing the Orbi and my other network gear (some Netgear SOHO managed switches).  My question is : can I have the same MAC address reserve  static DHCP assignments on the different VLAN's?   For example, my Macbook pro would normally connect to the family network (wired or wireless).  When I want to manage a network device (Orbi or switch), I would connect my Macbook (or iPhone) to the wireless admin network, and then connect to the management IP I assigned to the Orbi router (or netgear switch, etc.).  Since the device will be on different VLAN's this should be a viable configuration since each VLAN will have a DHCP service in different IP subnets.  However, the Orbi firmware would handle such a configuration (could be a firmware limitation in how the DHCP service was built, or, it could be fine)?  Curious if anyone has attempted such a configuration?  My SXK80 is sitting in a box in my office, and I'm, trying to work out the network plan before I rip and replace my legacy Orbi system (consumer level RBK50.   I'm probably over thinking this (engineering background).  Thanks in advance for any insights.

LarryNATL

Message 1 of 4
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: SXK80 - DHCP Question - Support for multiple DHCP assignments for the same device on differen...

@LarryNATL,

Welcome to the community! 🙂 

Be reminded that each time you set a new configuration in each VLAN, you need to click on Apply.  Otherwise, the configuration is not saved.

My question is : can I have the same MAC address reserve  static DHCP assignments on the different VLAN's?   For example, my Macbook pro would normally connect to the family network (wired or wireless).  When I want to manage a network device (Orbi or switch), I would connect my Macbook (or iPhone) to the wireless admin network, and then connect to the management IP I assigned to the Orbi router (or netgear switch, etc.).  Since the device will be on different VLAN's this should be a viable configuration since each VLAN will have a DHCP service in different IP subnets.  

About this scenario, the MacBook Pro will not receive the IP reservation in each different VLAN.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 4
JohnD333
Apprentice

Re: SXK80 - DHCP Question - Support for multiple DHCP assignments for the same device on differen...

Regarding

"About this scenario, the MacBook Pro will not receive the IP reservation in each different VLAN.

Regards,

DaneA"

While it appears that you can make ra eservation range and assignments for each LAN (SSID), if you make one for the MBPro on LAN1, then another on LAN2, then another in LAN3, or only two of the above, only the last assignment will be valid and the MBPro will conncet to that reserved/assigned IP address regardless of which SSID/LAN the MBPro connects with.  

It is interesting that with an  IP reserved&assigned to LAN1(admin) (___.____.10.__)  "APPLY", and then IP reserved&assigned to LAN3 (IoT) (___.___.30.__), "APPLY", that when MBPro is wirelessly connected to LAN1 it gets that reserve IP from LAN3 (___.___.30.__), but can see and connect to all LAN1 devices.  But as stated above, MBPro will not receive the IP reservation in each different VLAN.

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

@JohnD333 wrote:

It is interesting that with an  IP reserved&assigned to LAN1(admin) (___.____.10.__)  "APPLY", and then IP reserved&assigned to LAN3 (IoT) (___.___.30.__), "APPLY", that when MBPro is wirelessly connected to LAN1 it gets that reserve IP from LAN3 (___.___.30.__), but can see and connect to all LAN1 devices.  But as stated above, MBPro will not receive the IP reservation in each different VLAN.

This reads like a major bug requiring a fix.

Dos this still apply to the v3.2.1.102 firmware (current as of writing)?

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements