Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

SXK80 Satellites turn pink as soon as I use VLAN tagged network

timecode
Guide

SXK80 Satellites turn pink as soon as I use VLAN tagged network

SXK80 in AP mode with 2 satellites (Latest firmware V4.2.1.120) - VLAN tags provided by pfsense router. (VLAN30 and VLAN50) - smart switches throughout (Trunked and tagged appropriately).

VLAN setup on SXK80 is all ports are set to default VLAN1 and Trunk.  Three WIFI networks in use - Default, VLAN30 tagged and VLAN50 tagged.

Default wifi network (on default vlan1) works without issue - I use this as my main wifi network and is solid.

However, as soon as I swap to either of the other wifi networks with VLAN30 and VLAN50 tags respectively - it seems to break sync on the satellites (turning them pink)

For testing purposes there are allow all rules on the firewall so each VLAN network has full access to everything.

The wifi connected laptop on the VLANs receive all correct IP addresses and DNS servers.  I can access the internet on those networks.

It does however become unstable and eventually fall over.

I have also tried using a smart switch connected to one of the satellites to do the untagging to a direct connected PC - satellites still turn pink.

As soon as I go back to using my main wifi network, the satellites turn blue and then off.  Network is back to stable.

I do not use Insights and all setup is done via browser.

What am I missing here.  It seems that as soon as there is any VLAN tags (other than default) in use the system loses sync to satellites.

Message 1 of 38

Accepted Solutions
MrJoshW
NETGEAR Expert

Re: SXK80 Satellites turn pink as soon as I use VLAN tagged network

ETA for FW release is end of July.

View solution in original post

Message 33 of 38

All Replies
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@timecode,

Welcome to the community! 🙂

Was everything working fine before you have updated your SXK80 to the latest firmware v4.2.1.120?

Regards,

DaneA
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 2 of 38
timecode
Guide

Hi DaneA
No change unfortunately. I updated to the latest hoping it would fix it.
Message 3 of 38
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@timecode,

Just to verify.  Do both VLANs 30 and 50 work on your pfSense router?  If you remove the SXR80 in AP mode and the 2 SXS80 satellites, are the computers connected to the pfSense router able to get proper IP Addresses from their respective VLANs?  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 38
timecode
Guide

Hi DaneA

Yes.  Removing Orbi from Network makes no change to the hardwired machines using VLANs.  They all get their IP's and DNS servers accordingly and work without issue.

I also did a test using a secondary smart switch with various VLANs 'untagged' on outlets to check the process again.  Computer added to each port got the relevant Ip addresses for each vlan and worked no problems.  

What was strange was I noticed the Orbi satellite turned pink in this case???  Not even using Wifi here but still turned pink.

I have also double checked STP settings on all switches in use to ensure only one root switch.

Again, using the default VLAN (1) for my main wireless gives no issue.  As soon as there is any traffic using a VLAN other than default, the satellites turn pink.

Message 5 of 38
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@timecode,

Thank you for your response. 🙂   Kindly try to perform a factory reset on both the SXR80 and the two SXS80 satellites.  Then set them up again and observe if the same problem will occur.

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 38
timecode
Guide

Hi DaneA,

Ok, have performed full factory reset on all units.  Re-setup in AP mode which was auto detected.

I added one secondary wifi network with factory vlan flag (20).  I left the factory vlans intact and did not add any others.  There is no other changes.  No changes to any of the port settings.

As soon as I join the secondary wifi network that is tagged with vlan, satellites turn pink and then network falls over.

Doing a simple ping to router/gateway shows as getting a response for a few replies and then nothing.

As soon as I disconnect from secondary wifi network and rejoin main wifi network satellites turn blue and network stability returns.

So no difference has occurred from full reset.

Message 7 of 38
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @timecode  Could you please share the debug logs from both router and satellites?

Go to

https://<ip address of router/satellite>/debug.htm

and save debug logs when issue happens.

You can upload the debug logs into any cloud storage and send me PM to download the link.

Thanks,

Raghu

Message 8 of 38
timecode
Guide

Hi Raghu

PM Sent.

Cheers

Message 9 of 38
timecode
Guide

For anyone still following this, I am currently backwards and forwards with logs and testing.

Hopefully a result soon enough.

Message 10 of 38
MrJoshW
NETGEAR Expert

Hello,

I tried to re-create your issue but I am unable to get the results you are describing. Are you able to send me a topology map of your network layout? This will help me try to re-create a layout close to yours to see if I can re-create. Attached is the layout of my setup.

Message 11 of 38
timecode
Guide

Hello @MrJoshW 

Thanks for jumping in

Network topology attached.  I have simplified everything to find this issue.  The layout is pretty much the same as yours.

I also created a test environment where I used a separate router with different OS installed and connected directly to Orbi router to eliminate all other devices.  Gave me the same result.

In the current setup shown, this is showing only the path for the Orbi.  Things to note are - VLAN devices connected via Orbi or anywhere else on the network all receive correct IP's etc so the "path logic" would seem correct.  Router has simple allow all rules at present.  All switches attached are smart and also have correct RSTP values.

The devices connected to the Orbi Satellites do work for a short time (1 min max) then start to fail.  I am using a simple ping test for this.  The test involves 4 terminal windows consecutively running ping tests to - 1.1.1.1, 8.8.8.8, Gateway IP, Local Printer sitting on main LAN - nothing complicated.

My last round of testing was rather interesting as per below:

Macbook Pro (Mid 2014) - Wifi connected to SXRouter - ping test successful, no dropouts, no pink satellite. PASS
ACER Laptop (2021) (WIFI6) - Wifi connected to SXRouter - ping test successful, no dropouts, no pink satellite. PASS
Both together connected at same time to SXRouter - ping test successful, no dropouts, no pink satellite. PASS
##########################################################################################

ACER Laptop (2021) (WIFI6) - Wifi connected to SXSat - ping test successful, no dropouts, no pink satellite. PASS

Macbook Pro (Mid 2014) - Wifi connected to SXSat - ping test fails, multiple dropouts, pink satellite - network fail. FAIL
Dell laptop E7250 (2015) - Wifi connected to SXSat - ping test fails, multiple dropouts, pink satellite - network fail. FAIL
Thinkpad Laptop X280 (2018) (WIFI5) - Wifi connected to SXSat - ping test fails, multiple dropouts, pink satellite - network fail. FAIL

So from this it might indicate that the router can handle older wifi standards but as soon as it connects to a satellite it fails.

The ACER laptop is the only computer with WIF6 I have.

Once the Failing devices are removed from the network it recovers - pink light turns to blue and then off.

Can reach gateway on all counts and is actually one of the ping tests.

I don't think this is a very complicated scenario and would be common with many setups.

Any light you can shed on this would be awesome.

With thanks

Message 12 of 38
MrJoshW
NETGEAR Expert

Hello,

Based on your topology, question question. Are the satellites using wired or wireless backhaul to the Orbi router?

If the devices are wired backhaul, can you connect one using wireless backhaul and verify if you see the same issue?

Message 13 of 38
timecode
Guide

They are wireless backhaul.

I can try the wired backhaul but will have to wait as it is in production use at present!

Message 14 of 38
timecode
Guide

Update: Confirmed issue with satellite sync when two or more satellites in use.

So now just have to wait for a fix in due course.

Message 15 of 38
hermesromeror
Apprentice

Hi @timecode 

Im having the same issue, were you able to solve this?

Thanks

Message 16 of 38
timecode
Guide

Still awaiting an updated firmware.

Message 17 of 38
schumaku
Guru

@RaghuHR nice please, any update on this potential limitation?

Message 18 of 38
hermesromeror
Apprentice

AP mode is completely broken. I will return my Orbis. @MrJoshW @RaghuHR 

Message 19 of 38
timecode
Guide

For anyone still following this thread.  Still awaiting an updated firmware to be released.

Message 20 of 38
jltleeds
Aspirant

We're now in June and still no firmware to this huge issue. Netgear what are you doing? £1500 for broken firmware is not acceptable...
Message 21 of 38
hermesromeror
Apprentice

Hi

I have been working with support for the last 6 months approximately, doing several log capture remote sessions and exchanging information.  The good news is that they finally send me a beta version last week, it has been working fine until now. My suggestion is to open a ticket and ask for the beta. 

Thanks

Message 22 of 38
jltleeds
Aspirant

This is great news, thank you for your reply. I am writing a ticket now....

John

Message 23 of 38
timecode
Guide

As mentioned above, I have also now received a beta firmware and preliminary tests so far seem to indicate that they might have actually fixed this issue. 

This is extremely positive and will be running some more tests on all the VLAN traffic.

Message 24 of 38
hermesromeror
Apprentice

@timecode what version are testing?  I tested an old one before and didnt worked.

Message 25 of 38
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 37 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements