Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

SXK80 - Setup Questions

SXK80 - Setup Questions

Hello!  I'm a new SXK80 user coming over from the Consumer Orbi Pro.  The Consumer twin of the SXK80 has worked great but while I'm using the router from home, I do need the additional segmentation available with the SXK80.  I'm planning out how I will setup my networks and have a couple quick questions:

1) I know the more recent versions allow you to change how networks are used (i.e. IoT vs Admin vs Employee are not necessarily valid anymore).  I plan to use three:  One for my primary devices, one for IoT (that don't require being on the network w/ my mobile devices), and a guest.  Is there anything security-wise in Network 1 (previously Admin) that I need to turn off or worry about?  Per the documentation it looks like the only difference between Admin and Employee was the ability to see other devices on the network but I'd like to make sure.

2) While I'm not 100% sure if it worked that well (given most traffic is encrypted these days anyway), I did like having Netgear Armor as a "poor man's IDS".  Do the users here supplement the Orbi Pro with some sort of network security appliance or software?  Like I said, it probably isn't necessary with my IoT devices on a different VLAN, but I might be willing to pony up for some peace of mind:  Real or imagined. 🙂

3) As mentioned, this will be in a home environment (I also work here, just to be clear).  The consumer version of this router did great as far as streaming, games for the kids, as well as my teleconferencing for work.  How does the SXK80 fare with regards to latency?

Thank you in advance for any insight you can provide! 

Message 1 of 3

Re: SXK80 - Setup Questions

Actually, one last question:  What are tips / suggestions you wish you knew before setting up the Orbi Pro (and I really hope the answer is not "Don't buy the Orbi Pro" Smiley LOL )

Message 2 of 3
DaneA
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: SXK80 - Setup Questions

@TheGrumpyGent,

1) I know the more recent versions allow you to change how networks are used (i.e. IoT vs Admin vs Employee are not necessarily valid anymore).  I plan to use three:  One for my primary devices, one for IoT (that don't require being on the network w/ my mobile devices), and a guest.  Is there anything security-wise in Network 1 (previously Admin) that I need to turn off or worry about?  Per the documentation it looks like the only difference between Admin and Employee was the ability to see other devices on the network but I'd like to make sure.

Pretty much the SXK80 user manual (read pages 69-89) already described the difference between the pre-defined networks.  Nothing to worry about. 

2) While I'm not 100% sure if it worked that well (given most traffic is encrypted these days anyway), I did like having Netgear Armor as a "poor man's IDS".  Do the users here supplement the Orbi Pro with some sort of network security appliance or software?  Like I said, it probably isn't necessary with my IoT devices on a different VLAN, but I might be willing to pony up for some peace of mind:  Real or imagined. 

The Orbi Pro does not have something like the NETGEAR Armor for the Orbi Home. 

3) As mentioned, this will be in a home environment (I also work here, just to be clear).  The consumer version of this router did great as far as streaming, games for the kids, as well as my teleconferencing for work.  How does the SXK80 fare with regards to latency?

With proper deployment and configuration, good latency can also be achieved on the SXK80.

@TheGrumpyGent wrote:

Actually, one last question:  What are tips / suggestions you wish you knew before setting up the Orbi Pro (and I really hope the answer is not "Don't buy the Orbi Pro" Smiley LOL )

Hahaha! 🙂  

Regards,

DaneA

NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements