Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: SXK80: mDNS not working as intended across VLAN

_bda_
Aspirant

SXK80: mDNS not working as intended across VLAN

Using a previous thread as a guide (https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-Pro-WiFi-for-Small-Business/SXK80-Allow-Specific-Client-s-acro...) I've been unsuccessful in getting this to work properly.

I am having issues with mDNS and access across VLANS. My network VLAN setup and isolation settings are the same as @Anthony-L in the above thread. I enabled mDNS Gateway and added the appropriate policies. Multicast broadcasting appears to be working as I can see devices populated in the mDNS Gateway Discovered Services list and they are discoverable from source VLAN devices. This is as far as it goes. Further communication between devices is not working. For example, a laptop on VLAN 1 (Default) is able to discover and add a printer on VLAN 30 (Iot), but unable to print to it. The same goes for AirPlay –– VLAN1 device can see an AppleTV device but it will not connect and AirPlay/cast. There is no problem when devices are on the same VLAN.

I have reboot the router, satellite, AppleTV, iPhone, laptop, and re-enabled the intended isolation options. My understanding is that even if network isolation is enabled, mDNS Gateway will allow the inter-VLAN communication. It appears that @Anthony-L was successful in communicating between network isolated VLANs as well one not network isolated.

Firmware V4.2.3.102

Network VLAN Config

• VLAN 1 (Default) (Wireless 1)
    iPhone, Laptop
  • VLAN 20 (Employee) (Wireless 2) - Network Isolation
  • VLAN 30 (Iot) (Wireless 3) - Network Isolation
    AppleTV, Chromecast
  • VLAN 40 (Guest) (Wireless 4) - Client & Network Isolation

mDNS Gateway Policies
All services for ease of testing

• Policy 1, All Services, Source VLAN 1, Destination VLAN 30
  • Policy 2, All Services, Source VLAN 30, Destination VLAN 1

@BruceGuo Any suggestions to get this working properly?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 14
mokeb
Aspirant

I have the same issue, is there any resolution?
Any way to allow the proper communication between the vlans?
Message 2 of 14
_bda_
Aspirant

No resolution whatsoever despite even resetting my network and starting setup and config from scratch. The thought of having to do this once again as another attempt of troubleshooting is exhausting given the amount of time I takes to setup these systems. I’ve had to move certain devices over to another VLAN in order to access and communicate with it successfully. I setup syslog, monitoring the activity, and it appears that rules are attempting to route but nothing happens in actuality. It’s really disappointing this doesn’t work out of box or after reconfiguring considering the cost of this system. I’ve pretty much lost hope of this fixing itself through a software update as well. Sorry I couldn’t have been of any help.
Message 3 of 14
gumbytron
Aspirant

Having the same frustrations with my SXR50 system. mDNS does not work.

Message 4 of 14
schumaku
Guru

@mokeb @gumbytron Please provide more information about your network environment, the SXRxx and probably the SXSxx and the mDNS config in place.

@_bda_ do you have multiple SXxnn (router and satellite(s)) in your network? 

Convinced @BruceGuo can assist further here.

Message 5 of 14
_bda_
Aspirant

@schumaku I have one router and one satellite. They are connected via wired backhaul
Message 6 of 14
schumaku
Guru

@_bda_ wrote:
@schumaku I have one router and one satellite. They are connected via wired backhaul

Great!

Is this just a network cable, or are there other devices in the data path?

Message 7 of 14
_bda_
Aspirant

Ethernet cable to a MoCA adapter between the router and satellite. I had also tried using wireless backhaul thinking that the MoCA adapters might be causing an issue, but I still was unable to communicate between vLANs other than discovery of devices. For example, my printer could be seen but unable to do anything other than that. Prior to the SXK80 this printer was part of an RBK50 network and had no issues.

Message 8 of 14
gumbytron
Aspirant

• I have 3 satellites.
  • 4 VLANs
    • Default(1), Network Isolation
    • Family(20), Network Isolation
    • IoT(30), Client and Network Isolation
    • Guest(40), Network Isolation
  • The printer is on the Guest VLAN (40)
  • I'm wanting to print from the Default and Family VLANs
  • 4 policies set up for mDNS
    • Printers, Source VLAN = 40, Destination = 20
    • Printers, Source VLAN = 20, Destination = 40
    • Printers, Source VLAN = 40, Destination = 1
    • Printers, Source VLAN = 1, Destination = 20

Message 9 of 14
_bda_
Aspirant

@schumaku any ideas? This is still not working for me. Thanks for the help

Message 10 of 14
schumaku
Guru

Afraid, not operating any Orbi Pro WiFi 6 systems. Would love to test more, but never received any test samples (no, I'm not Netgear...).  Keep in mind mDNS is just the discovery and name resolution. Beyond, everything is in the magic of the firewall and routing implementation. 

@BruceGuo can you please assist your customer on what appears (based on the config and the fine documentation) like a correct configuration'

Message 11 of 14
mokeb
Aspirant

With the latest firmware (V4.3.2.100), I am now able to use mDNS to connect to a printer (on VLAN 30 (network and client isolation)) and print to it from VLAN 20 (network isolation).  That is an improvement.

I am still not able to connect to an airport express airplay and play music on it.  I am able to see it from VLAN 20, but not connect to it to play music.

I notice that the airplay device show as offline in the Discovered Services (no mac address, wrong ip address, no connection type)  whereas the printer is online and has correct data.  Is there anything that can be done to ensure it is online?

Another point of reference, when I set the shared services to 'all services', this allows 'airport' service and some others for that device.  When that is enabled, I am able to use Airport Utility to configure the airport express device (on VLAN 30) from devices on VLAN 20.  This while still showing the device is offline in Discovered Services.

• I have 3 satellites.
  •  VLANs
    • Default(1), Network Isolation
    • Employee(20), Network Isolation
    • IoT(30), Client and Network Isolation
    • Work(50), Client and Network Isolation (LAN5, so LAN only)
  • The printer and airport express units are on the IoT VLAN (30)
  • I'm wanting to print and access airport express units from the Employee VLAN (20)
  •  policies set up for mDNS
    • Printers, Source VLAN = 30, Destination = 20
    • Airplay, Source VLAN = 20, Destination = 20
Message 12 of 14
BruceGuo
NETGEAR Expert

When the AirPlay device shown offline in the mDNS page, please go to the "attach device" page to check if there are any relevant devices connected. If there are, try clicking "refresh" on the mDNS page.

If the issue still happens, can you PM me with debug files?

1. Log into Orbi Pro by https://<ip address of Orbi Pro>/debug.htm

2. Start capture

3. Save the debug logs and send it for review.

Message 13 of 14
mokeb
Aspirant

The issue still occurs.  I PM'd you with log link.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements