Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

SXK80 router as satellite?

Electric1
Tutor

SXK80 router as satellite?

Hi all,

So I see the SXK80 2 pack on a mega deal, it if I purchased 2 is there any way to use the second router as a satellite or anything else useful?
Message 1 of 11
plemans
Guru

Re: SXK80 router as satellite?

No. it won't function as a satellite. 

You can hardwire it in and use it in access point mode but it won't integrate with the other devices like a satellite. 

Message 2 of 11
Electric1
Tutor

Hmm figured as much. I might just try out one pair and see how it does.

Does anyone know of a sensible and high speed way to connect my wired NAS over Wi-Fi? I can’t seem to find any Wi-Fi 6 to LAN bridges.
Message 3 of 11
schumaku
Guru

@Electric1 wrote:
Does anyone know of a sensible and high speed way to connect my wired NAS over Wi-Fi? I can’t seem to find any Wi-Fi 6 to LAN bridges.

Start with a network cable connecting the NAS direct to the router. Reliable, the best speed available for this undefined NAS, .... Wi-Fi isn't made for this. Unless you strongly believe in marketing. Possible compromise connect it to the SXS80 satellite where i understand you have two available.

Message 4 of 11
Electric1
Tutor

A network cable isn’t really feasible which is why I’m asking the question 🙂

Originally I was using an Orbi satellite in the loft, but with this it will be expensive, overkill and also cause interference being so close to the next satellite. (The room almost directly below)

Message 5 of 11
Electric1
Tutor

Forgot to mentions its a Synology DS923+ used mainly for backup and hosting some media files for the TVs.
Message 6 of 11
schumaku
Guru

Oh and yet another wireless device for connecting a NAS Gigabit port (note your nice Syno does support two, or can be extended easily with Multigig/10 Gb) to a wireless system does magically save money, does not cause additional interferences? There are reasons why Syno and QNAP have even stopped supporting USB Wi-Fi dongles (!!!). The Orbi Pro satellite is just yet another sophisticated and powerful Wi-Fi 6 to LAN bridge.

Message 7 of 11
Electric1
Tutor

I apologise in advance if I misread the tone or content but…

Enough with the preachy preachy….

Adding an extra satellite in the loft just to provide LAN for the NAS is expensive, overkill, and it will be accepting connections and steering other clients. While a Wi-Fi adapter in client mode may well be using channels and bandwidth that’s a lot less ‘Bad’.
(Yes we can go on about if the Wi-Fi client goes via a satellite or not and the impact on the back haul but I digress..)

The reason (I hazard a guess) Synology and others you mentioned, stopped supporting usb dongles and not specifically Wi-Fi, is they probably got tired of having to support it indirectly. Specifically for Wi-Fi dongles, someone who can’t figure out a way to do it without usb is also the kind of person that will contact them without being able to diagnose the Wi-Fi is the problem.

All this nonsense about how NAS couldn’t possibly survive over Wi-Fi is exactly that nonsense. Streaming, backup and other protocols are made to handle broken connections. If I’m willing to sacrifice channels for convenience that’s my choice.

Anyway, i think it’s fairly obvious anyone even posting on this forum knows a wired solution is the best, and if that were at all possible I wouldn’t have asked the question right? I know it’s not an ideal solution but constructive help would be appreciated rather than preach-splaining how very very wrong I am to even consider such a thing!

Message 8 of 11
plemans
Guru

Any chance you have coax by it and could use a moca adapter? or a powerline adapter? 

That'd be your next best bet. 

If not, you could always go with the cheaper SXS30 as compatibility was added in version 4.0.0.118 firmware for the SXS30 to be used with the SXR80

https://kb.netgear.com/000064664/SXR80-SXS80-Firmware-Version-4-0-0-118

Message 9 of 11
Electric1
Tutor

Oh wow I had no idea they were compatible now. I ordered a SXS80 satellite on a Black Friday offer but may cancel that now.

Is it possible to run off (or turn down the power of) the radios on the SX80 (and/or SX30) series individually? I know that wasn’t possible on the rbk850 series.
Message 10 of 11
Electric1
Tutor

Forgot to say, I have 2 cat7s run to a tv that I may be able to connect back up to the loft eventually, so this is semi-temporary and maybe only for 6-12 months max. Still that’s a long time so wanted as best a solution as possible.
Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements