Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

SXR30 Long time to initially connect to WiFi network.

kdenko
Aspirant

SXR30 Long time to initially connect to WiFi network.

After browsing this forum I could only find one similar post, but they were going from:
ISP Cable Modem/Router -> Orbi Router -> and having issues. (Double Routing) They then since but it in bridge mode and no longer are experiencing slow connection time. See this post: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-Wi-Fi-5-AC-and-Orbi-with/Long-time-for-device-to-initially-con... 

When in my case, I specifically asked spectrum internet for just a modem box. So I cannot "double" route.

Curious as to what setting I have enabled that would take 30-60 seconds for devices to connect to the WiFi on startup similarly to this post.

Thanks!

Message 1 of 8
plemans
Guru

Re: SXR30 Long time to initially connect to WiFi network.

What actual router do you have? 

What firmware is on the SXR30 and satellites? 

Do you notice if its an issues specific to the router or the satellite connecting?

Once connected, they work fine?

Message 2 of 8
kdenko
Aspirant

NETGEAR Orbi Pro WiFi 6 Mini Mesh System (SXK30)

Newest Firmware is on both.
V4.2.3.102
V4.2.3.102

It is noticeable on either or I believe.

Once connected works fine yes. It just takes 30-60 seconds for it to connect in the beginning.

Message 3 of 8
schumaku
Guru

@kdenko wrote:

NETGEAR Orbi Pro WiFi 6 Mini Mesh System (SXK30)

Once connected works fine yes. It just takes 30-60 seconds for it to connect in the beginning.

For the uneducated reader: What makes up the beginning - cold boot the router (connected to the ISP modem)? Cold boot the mesh system (router and satellite)? Wireless client powered on? Wireless client searching for the wireless SSID/name and assign? 

Sorry, impossible to provide assistance. The many years old thread referred is more confusing than anything else.

Message 4 of 8
plemans
Guru

Thanks @schumaku meant to say gateway versus router

Message 5 of 8
kdenko
Aspirant

@plemans @schumaku 
I have IT background so I can pickup on the lingo thanks haha! UG IT / MBA in IS

I will explain further...
Preface:
I live in a small apartment and small apartment complex 4 tenants total, so the signal is never poor, I get the signal all the way where I park my car.
Issue Preface:
When I am directly next to the OrbiPro WiFi router, I boot up my laptop, or surface pro or whatever device it may be, it shows WiFi signal as connected but no internet. It then takes 30-60 seconds for it to finally say "connected". It happens from time to time, as if it is polling for a LAN IP to establish a connection. Is there a way, or setting, that I need to have to cut this time down or prevent this from happening at all? I see that I cannot set the DHCP release to more than 24 hours. I wish I could set it longer to prevent this from happening as often.

The post I referenced before is the only thing close to what I am experiencing as well. Their solution was to stop doubling routing. But I am not double routing (two routers) I am correctly "single routing". I even specifically requested a 'modem only tower' from spectrum to avoid this.
Spectrum Modem -> AX1800 WiFi Mesh System (SXK30) 

That being said, I have exhausted turning it off and turning it back on... hens why I am here as the problem continues to persist. I even have the WiFi router on battery backup.

Thank you both for responding, hope this helps in your search for the answer as well as mine.

Message 6 of 8
schumaku
Guru

The observation that the wireless clients recognize a valid WiFi connection but the devices don't get a proper IP addressing assigned tells me the client appears to connect to a different device, like a Orbi Pro satellite which does not have a reliable connection to primary Orbi Pro handling the wireless (?) backhaul.  

Forget about double NAT, DHCP, and the like.

How near (or how far out) is the SXS30 (the satellite) located to the SXR30 (the router)?

Message 7 of 8
kdenko
Aspirant

@schumaku The satellite is fairly near the main tower, so yes, high probability of cross signals. I split them up lower level vs upper level of apartment.

Is there a way to separate signals? For example:
Main Router: Emits SSID of: 'WiFi Network 1'
Satellite: Emits SSID of: 'SAT Network 1'
instead of...
Main Router Emits Both SSID of: 'WiFi Network 1' and 'SAT Network 1'

Satellite Router Emits Both SSID of: 'WiFi Network 1' and 'SAT Network 1'

That would be ideal.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo