Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: SXR30 Router loses Internet Connection every few days

coolgreany
Guide

SXR30 Router loses Internet Connection every few days

I have an Orbit pro Wi-Fi 6 SXR30 Router and SXS30 Satellite unit.

Firmware is on auto update and currently running 4.0.1.100

I've had the router since November 2021 and it has been fairly solid up until beginning of February. I was away on a trip and came home March 6th and my Wi-Fi was down (solid magenta light on unit).

I rebooted spectrum cable modem and restarted router. All was well for a few days and it crapped out again.

It has now lost internet connection about six times in the last 10 days.

I can only think it's something to do with the new firmware that was rolled out the end of January.   I have a desktop and Amcrest Security Camera NVR connected to the router by Ethernet cable (no changes recently).  I have already swapped out the network cable between the router and modem.

If I can avoid it I'd like to avoid a factory reboot. Any thoughts?

Can I roll back the firmware to see if that eliminates the problem?

Message 1 of 20
plemans
Guru

I've got that same unit but did a factory reset with mine. its been rock solid. 

You can try downgrading the unit a version. 

I'd actually make a backup before you do. 

that way if it doesn't help and you do need to do a factory reset, at least you can reinstall using the backup. 

and if that doesn't help, try a new install process without the backup. 

Message 2 of 20
coolgreany
Guide

Thanks @plemans , well, as I was typing this, it just went down again. This time I noticed the computer hardwired to the router had no connection so it's just not a wifi issue.

Did you have a similar problem recently after the latest firmware update? I saw from my firmware history, the firmware Auto Upgraded to 4.0.1.100 on February 2nd and we left town February 6th (returned March 6th).

I just rolled back the firmware to Version 4.0.0.114

I may do a factory reboot as a last resort but also might see if there's any issue with my modem that might be causing it.

Since you have the same unit, are you able to use the Orbi Mobile App (I'm on Android). I've had zero success and I can't get past the screen shown below.

Message 3 of 20
plemans
Guru

the pro series is insight managed. and it should come with 5 years of insight included. 

I'd try that app. 

Message 4 of 20
coolgreany
Guide

Thanks @plemans 
I did download the Insight App yesterday and it only has a 30 day subscription (possibly because I purchased the Orbi last November).  I don't find the Insight App as useful like the old Netgear/knighthawk app for non-business use.  However, it is somewhat useful as I now receive an email notification showing the exact time of internet loss.  For example, I lost internet again at 6:05 this morning so that tends to rule out the firmware version.

I had spectrum check out the line and they couldn't see any issues so I'm going to try either a new modem or a factory reboot to see.

Message 5 of 20
plemans
Guru

what actual modem is it? 

Some modems you can log in and check their logs/connections stats. 

Message 6 of 20
coolgreany
Guide

@plemans  It's a Spectrum-provided modem E31T2V1 ( Hitron Technologies I think).

I tried a factory reset on the Orbi Router and Satellite. Not sure it fully reset as I didin't have to rename the SSID from the factory name.  I updated the firmware to the latest version since I doubt that is the cause based on the recent internet loss.

If any outages this week, I'll try another Factory reset to see if I can setup again from scratch.  If that fails I'll replace the modem.  If that fails, the Orbi hardware itself may be faulty so I can try my old Knighthawk router

Message 7 of 20
coolgreany
Guide

No interruptions for a week now so whatever I did last week seemed to fix the frequent internet disconnects.

It's strange as I "thought" I did  factory reset but it didn't reset the router name and password to default.  In any event, all seems good now using the latest firmware.  Thanks for all the suggestions and help.

Message 8 of 20
Niffydroid
Initiate

I too have a SXR30. Its fairly new so it was running the old firmware for a week or two and it was rock solid. Now it's been updated it just randomly drops. Super annoying when you're streaming or working. (I know it the router as my devices end up reverting to the cable supplier router) This is not something I expect for something that costs this much.

I'll give a downgrade a go and see if it helps.

Message 9 of 20
plemans
Guru

@Niffydroid the good thing about it is this is the pro forum and its a pro device. I'd make your own forum post about it. As the pro equipment gets more attention from the mod's and firmware team. With your own thread, they're more likely to contact you for help with logs/etc to try to fix the issue. 

Message 10 of 20
coolgreany
Guide

I thought I had this fixed but sadly, no.

I thought the recent firmware update V4.2.0.122 referencing  "Fixes an issue where the NTP server can be blocked by ISPs in the U.S." was the issue but I continue to experience disconnects.

Here's the log from tonight's disconnect:
|
192.168.1.30 is me on my laptop where I logged in to check the router log right after being disconnected.

192.168.1.27 is one of two Amazon Echo dots I have.  Surely the Echo Dots are not causing this?

"[admin login] from source 192.168.1.30, Wednesday, April 27, 2022 18:57:31
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.27] to MAC address 02:0f:b5:1d:fd:a1, Wednesday, April 27, 2022 18:57:28
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.30] to MAC address 9c:29:76:fb:bf:08, Wednesday, April 27, 2022 18:51:44
[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 162.125.19.9, port 443, Wednesday, April 27, 2022 18:49:07
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.30] to MAC address 9c:29:76:fb:bf:08, Wednesday, April 27, 2022 18:32:12
[DoS Attack: NULL Scan] from source: 49.233.171.134, port 59431, Wednesday, April 27, 2022 18:27:21
[DoS Attack: ACK Scan] from source: 162.125.19.130, port 443, Wednesday, April 27, 2022 18:27:04
[DoS Attack: SYN/ACK Scan] from source: 162.241.216.182, port 443, Wednesday, April 27, 2022 17:25:15
[DoS Attack: SYN/ACK Scan] from source: 162.241.216.182, port 443, Wednesday, April 27, 2022 17:25:15
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.19] to MAC address 54:60:09:46:cc:e6, Wednesday, April 27, 2022 17:02:58
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.24] to MAC address f4:f5:e8:22:50:ec, Wednesday, April 27, 2022 17:02:23
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.30] to MAC address 9c:29:76:fb:bf:08, Wednesday, April 27, 2022 17:00:15
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.14] to MAC address f4:f5:d8:b5:0e:5c, Wednesday, April 27, 2022 16:51:07
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.10] to MAC address d8:eb:46:a4:d9:72, Wednesday, April 27, 2022 16:50:32
[DHCP IP: 192.168.1.6] to MAC address 30:d1:6b:aa:ba:77, Wednesday, April 27, 2022 16:50:30

Any thoughts?  I work from home and I'm getting ready to chuck this mesh router in the bin and return to my old router.

Message 11 of 20
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @coolgreany  Could you please send me debug logs via PM?

Message 12 of 20
coolgreany
Guide

@RaghuHR  ,

Thanks for your help.  I had another disconnect overnight 28-Apr-2022 04:07 
I restarted router to get back online  April 28, 2022 07:01:24
I had DST enabled so the time in logs may be offset by an hour (don't know without looking at them)

I'm not sure I had the debug log enabled but I think I have them enabled now.

In case the debug log was enabled, I'll send you a copy of the current downloaded log.  If nothing found there, If it goes out again I will download and send an update to you.

As suggested in some other discussions, I've turned off traffic metering, disabled daylight savings time and offset the time zone to match my current time.

One other piece of info, I did have the satellite turned off last night as I had read to leave that off when rebooting. I've powered on the satellite now.
Message 13 of 20
coolgreany
Guide

Just lost connection again a few minutes ago approximately 28-Apr-2022 22:14.

I work from home and need to be available most hours of my waking day.  I can't afford to continue using the Orbi pro router unless this can be fixed.
I thought I was upgrading to a better router that would provide better coverage for my home but apparently that was a mistake on my part.

I'm not a business and don't have any clients logging into the router but I thought this was a solid choice to upgrade to provide better Wi-Fi coverage in my home.

I'm going to be on travel soon and need a solid router to access home security camera systems. I can't afford to leave knowing this router will disconnect every few days or even every few hours.

Unless I can fix this in the next week or so I'll plan to reinstall my old router until I can have more confidence in the Orbi system..

Message 14 of 20
coolgreany
Guide

After 3 weeks of solid connection, the router started randomly disconnecting again this week.

It started Sunday and has disconnected 4-5 times including twice today.

I'm on travel and not able to troubleshoot locally. However, I did discover that I'm able to remotely reboot my spectrum modem which brings the Orbi back online.

I won't be back at the router location for several months and the person staying there is not able to do any troubleshooting.

Surely I'm not the only one having this problem. This is now a 10-week-old issue with no end in sight.

I'm using the router as a residential router and can't justify the cost of paid technical support. For that money of might as well buy a different brand router.

I've received a few suggestions but none of the solutions that have resolved the problem.
Message 15 of 20
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

@coolgreany  Looks like you might have missed my message on IM. Here is what I wrote you:

1. The gateway (68.204.160.1) is not responding to ARP from the Orbi at that time.  It looks like it's modern side issue.
  2. Looks like there is other device on the WAN side? We can see cisco device (00:af:1f:1f:e8:19) and sending some traffic to Orbi and each time with different source IP
  3. Could you help us to clarify:    
    1. Whether issue happens on other router or not with same topology?  
    2. We don't know the real topology , maybe there is multiple gateway on WAN  side(ex. Cisco) and make modern fails to respond ARP.
    3. Please double check whether issue happens with simple network setup(WAN =>Orbi Pro)
    4. Whether the modern IP and SXR30's WAN IP is changed or not after recovery ?
Message 16 of 20
coolgreany
Guide

Thanks @RaghuHR

Unless I can do some of that remotely I won't be able to do anything as I'm not physically in the same location as the router.

I just have the spectrum modem and router as explained earlier. Wireless devices connected are a printer and smart home devices such as lights, video doorbell, Google home, Alexa etc. I do have a Netgear extender also added that provides a 2G signal to a generac generator. The generator was not able to see the orbi router directly but I found that it is able to work by connecting to the extender 2G signal.

There's a desktop and an Amcrest security camera NVR hardwired to the router.

Would any of that affect what's happening? If so why would it work for several months and then all the sudden start and stop randomly?

Also, as I mentioned previously, when the network goes down and the router disconnects, my Google home continues to stream internet radio without interruption. I don't understand how that could happen if the router has lost connection with the modem / internet.
Message 17 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

What brand and model# is the ISP modem/ONT? 

Message 18 of 20
coolgreany
Guide

@FURRYe38 It's a Spectrum-provided modem E31T2V1 ( Hitron Technologies I think).
Message 19 of 20
FURRYe38
Guru

I would have the ISP check there side to be sure. Ask them to see if there is anything in there logs during the time frame when you see this happen on the SXR30. 

Does the front LED turn on PINK when the internet goes down?

Have the ISP check the signal and line quality UP to the modem. Be sure the ISP provisions the modem correctly.

Have them ensure all power levels and such are good up to the modem. 
Be sure there are no coax cable line splitters in the between the modem and ISP service box. 
Be sure your using good quality RG6 coax cable up to the modem. 

Use a good quality CAT6 cable between the modem and router. 
Be sure to power OFF the modem for 1 minute then back ON.
https://community.netgear.com/t5/Cable-Modems-Routers/General-info-and-Troubleshooting-for-Cable-Mod...
https://www.duckware.com/tech/solving-intermittent-cable-modem-issues.html

Message 20 of 20
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 19 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements