Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

SXR30 very poor performance

MCioffi
Guide

SXR30 very poor performance

After setting this system up we have been having very poor performance with the system.  Initially we setup the router and 2 satellites.  We found devices did not release from an AP fast enough when moving throughout the location.  We turned off the AP in the middle and found that hand offs seemed better.  But the problem we have is we are seeing wild swings in TX/RX rates and drop offs from the internet and zoom meetings and so on.  We have a mac sitting 5 feet away from the router, it is seeing TX/RX speeds of 585 down and 234 up for a few minutes than 48 down, sometimes as low as 7 down.  Same thing is happening on the up, varying from 5 up to 580.  Why would the speeds show such drastic swings in values?  The users have complained that pages can take minutes to load most of the time.  When not on this system they are very fast, couple seconds.  

The second AP is wired back to the router.  Do we have some sort of channel conflict, interference, something misconfigured?

Raw internet speed is always above 500 down and up.

So far noting has seemed to make any difference.

Any suggestions?

Thank you.

Hardware VersionSXR30

Firmware VersionV4.0.1.100

GUI Language VersionV1.0.0.423
Message 1 of 10
plemans
Guru

Re: SXR30 very poor performance

what modem/gateway is it connected to? 

Have you tested wired speeds on it to see if that stays consistent?

Message 2 of 10
MCioffi
Guide

We have only a few devices connected to the router wired.  But those seem to be fine.

The router is connected to Verizon fiber ONT.

When devices are reporting poor TX/RX speeds between the device and the AP the raw speed to the internet from the router is always consistently above 500 down and up.  My main concern is the performance between the AP and a device.

I desktop connected to an AP 5 feet away should have solid performance.  

How is it a desktop (mac) 15 to 20 feet away from a different AP in the mesh would showing a FAIR signal, yet TX/RX is 780/6.  While a different desktop (mac) 5 feet away from a different AP would be showing a GOOD signal, yet TX/RX is 48/866.  These speeds make no sense to me.

Message 3 of 10
plemans
Guru

so anything running off the router is fine? 

Its just off the satellites that you have issues? 

One thing you need to keep in mind. the SXK30 is a dual band mesh system and not a triband mesh system. 

The tribands have a dedicated wireless backhaul between router-----satellites. 

the dual bands don't. so they use the same radio to go router----satellite and then satellite----device. And they can't do both at once. 

so even if thats the only device working, they're speed is going to be half of what you're getting from the router. 

then you have to take into account other  devices using the router/satellite as well as interference, distance, obstructions. 

That can drop speed significantly if your satellites aren't in a good location or are to far away. 

A lot of people end up using a wired backhaul with them as then they have the dedicated link and much faster speeds. (I've got a set and wired backhaul is awesome with them)

Another thing to keep in mind is the 2.4ghz/5ghz option. that system does bandsteering. meaning that some devices will be connected to 2.4ghz and some to 5ghz. 5ghz is a much much faster network and suffers from less interference. But it doesn't broadcast as far or through as much materials. Make sure to set your 5ghz on the higher 5ghz network and not the lower channels.

what I'd recommend? 

• hardwire a laptop into each satellite. Test its speed hardwired as then you can optimize placement without having to workout about the satellite----device link being reduced or sketchy. Plus it ensures your device you're testing on isn't on the slower 2.4ghz network. 
  • write down the speeds you're actually getting. the link rates might be variable but throughput tends to be 55-65% of link rates. so its better to know your actual speeds than the link rates. 
  • avoid daisy chaining (daisy chain= router---->satellite---->satellite) you'll get even lower speeds because each hop on a dual band system drops throughput. 
  • Use the higher 5ghz channels
  • you can seperate out the 2.4ghz/5ghz using the multiple ssid option. that lets you set what device is on 2.4ghz/5ghz for testing or even usage

What verizon ont is it? many of them have their own integrated routing functions and it can cause issues. 

Message 4 of 10
MCioffi
Guide

The actual ONT model I'm not sure of.  I'm not on site everyday.  But it is just the ONT to the Orbi, there is no Verizon router in place and the ONT is not doing any routing.

We are not in a daisey chain.  They are wired, ROUTER ---> SWITCH ---> AP1, same for AP2 when it was turned on.  I would expect that would take the backhaul out of the equation.  Also in these models I have not found any way to change the 5ghz channel.

The drop down for the 5Ghz is grayed out.

DRSiv_BasicWifi.png These speeds seem really odd to me, do they seem resonable?

DRSiv_Speeds.png

Message 5 of 10
plemans
Guru

photos can take a bit to be approved. 

What switch is in line? If you remove the switch and direct wire in the satellite (For testing), what happens? 
it wouldn't be the first time a switch caused issues. 

Message 6 of 10
MCioffi
Guide

As soon as I can get out there I will see about plugging the AP directly into the Orbi.

The switch is a Netgear GS316-EP

Message 7 of 10
plemans
Guru

that switch has some basic management functions. 

Make sure to have any green functions or IGMP snooping disabled. 

I'd try it without the switch just to see if thats causing the slow down since the ap's are ran through it. 

Message 8 of 10
MCioffi
Guide

Don't know why the pic was not approved.

But here is a snippet of what I see.

DRSiv_Speed.png

Message 9 of 10
MCioffi
Guide

All green functions had been turned off at setup.

IGMP turned off now.

I'm going to see if I can get on site tomorrow and try plugging the wire directly into the router.  If I can I will report back.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 3 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements