Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: SXR80 - Network drops on Voice/Video (zoom etc)

DeadlyHifi
Guide

SXR80 - Network drops on Voice/Video (zoom etc)

Hi all,

I'm hoping you can help as I have a odd isue that is driving me mad - I don't even know for sure it's the router. 

I've been having periodic freezes on my zoom calls, Teams calls etc. could be every 60 seconds or every few minutes. 

I've been monitoring throuput traffc and I'm seeing drop off on recieving traffic. 

I also tested on my mobile connected to the network and see similar.

On my pc this is ethernet connected. 

sorry this is vague - networks aren't my strongest area. Any ideas please? 

thanks

Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
DeadlyHifi
Guide

Hi all. I have solved the problem for me. I had the Orbi originally doing the pppoe - I've since switched this off and put it on to a router modem provided by the ISP. Since I've done that and the Orbi is no longer performing the authentication the problem is solved. I've no idea on why or how but that's the experience I've seen.

Thanks all.

View solution in original post

Message 11 of 12

All Replies
FURRYe38
Guru

What Firmware version is currently loaded?
What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft?
What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Message 2 of 12
DeadlyHifi
Guide

Answers in line. Thanks for coming back. 

What Firmware version is currently loaded?

V3.2.6.100 - recently had to roll back because the latest had satelite drops. 

What is the Mfr and model# of the Internet Service Providers modem/ONT the NG router is connected too?

Fritzbox Modem. I'll check the model and come back. 

What is the size of your home? Sq Ft? - not sure - but this is happening wired direct to the router as well as wireless.

What is the distance between the router and 📡 satellite(s)? 30 feet or more is recommended in between RBR and RBS📡 to begin with depending upon building materials when wirelessly connected.
https://kb.netgear.com/31029/Where-should-I-place-my-Orbi-satellite 📡

they are around 8 meteres apart, but through thick walls so any further and the signal degrades. 

What channels are you using? Auto? Try setting manual channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4Ghz and 40 to 48 channel on 5Ghz.

I have channel 6 enabled but as above - seeing this on wired. Though I do also see the issue wirelessly 
Any Wifi Neighbors near by? If so, how many?

Plenty but I checked wifi congestion and channel 6 was pretty clear. Along with 44

Message 3 of 12
quagmire1
Luminary

So this happens even if your PC is connected to the router via Ethernet, and the router is connected to the cable modem via Ethernet? If so, I doubt the Orbi is your problem.  Are you using a VPN to connect to Teams and Zoom?

Just as a point of reference, my wife works from home and is probably spending 50 hours/week on either Zoom or Teams. In the rare event there is an issue, it's usually traceable either to Microsoft or the cisco VPN her work requires her to use. It's never been the SXK80.  (And before the SXK80, we had an Orbi RBK22.  That was also trouble-free.)

Message 4 of 12
BruceGuo
NETGEAR Expert

Hi All

1. Are you able to show ping results during the period to see if any break or latency increase?

2. If you see someting wrong in ping, if you have another AP, can you narrow down it is Orbi Pro issue by trying with other AP to see if it only happens when you clients connect to Orbi Pro

Message 5 of 12
DeadlyHifi
Guide

I'm not massively technical but I have been watching the task manager throughput and what I see is a drop to zero on the receive data. Then a quick spike and catch up. Like the door was shut for a second.
Message 6 of 12
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Hi @DeadlyHifi @portishead @quagmire1

Do you know the ping delay when you hit the issue? Could you please share the debug log at the time of the issue? You can run the ping to internet and see if there is any signficant delay when you see the drops. PM me the logs to downloads.

Thanks,

Raghu.

Message 7 of 12
DeadlyHifi
Guide

hello. I've just been monitoring. When this happens my ping sees a timeout. So appears all connectivity from the machine drops. 

Message 8 of 12
BruceGuo
NETGEAR Expert

Hi All

would any of you who has the issue send me debug files via PM? I will ask eng team to import your config and reproduce it to see if it is triggered by specific features.

Thanks

Bruce

Message 9 of 12
DeadlyHifi
Guide

Hey Bruce. Can you walk me through the steps please and I'd be happy to.

Thanks

Message 10 of 12
DeadlyHifi
Guide

Hi all. I have solved the problem for me. I had the Orbi originally doing the pppoe - I've since switched this off and put it on to a router modem provided by the ISP. Since I've done that and the Orbi is no longer performing the authentication the problem is solved. I've no idea on why or how but that's the experience I've seen.

Thanks all.
Message 11 of 12
BruceGuo
NETGEAR Expert

Nice to hear it. How did you find SXR80 was doing PPPoE re-auth so it caused network drops? 

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements