Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

SXR80 Orbi Pro Wifi 6 LAG + Ethernet Backhaul config ?

Technofuzz
Aspirant

SXR80 Orbi Pro Wifi 6 LAG + Ethernet Backhaul config ?

Hey all, new to the LAG setups and was just wondering if the SXR80/SXS80 allows for an ethernet backhaul to the satellite over 1Gbps via LAG and what the connection setup should look like.

I was just upgraded to xfinity 1200mbps and would like 2gbps ethernet backhaul via LAG as well as utilizing the 2.5G wan port. 

I think it's a bit ridiculous that Netgear would release a router with multi-gig capabilities without multi-gig backhaul and at such a ridiculous price point.

Thanks for the help,

Techno

Message 1 of 5
schumaku
Guru

Re: SXR80 Orbi Pro Wifi 6 LAG + Ethernet Backhaul config ?

Nothing that stops you from using either a LAG (2x GbE) or a 2.5G link for the wired backhaul - can't see anything wrong here. Mind you that only one 2.5G and only one set of LAG ports is available on the router. Now it depends if you could operate the WAN link as a LAG (this requires a cable modem with a LAG capability and two ports - comes the question what the next cable modem update does bring...), or if you focus to spend the 2.5G as a WAN port.

If you have more than one satellite, you will deploy a MultiGig (at least 2.5G) switch anyway, most slightly configurable or smart switches offer LAG configs, so any mix and match is possible. 

Message 2 of 5
Technofuzz
Aspirant

I would point out that I am using this for a home network, so at the present time i have little use for VLANs for IoT, etc.  I will most likely add a 2.5G switch for my desktop and other PCs in the game room, but i am currently not sure how to set up the ethernet backhaul, the documentation provided by netgear does little to clarify things.  Do I set ports 2 and 3 as a LAG and connect them to the satellite (i will only have one satellite and dont plan to add more). I do reliaze that LAG from the modem is an option, just trying to figure out if ethernet backhaul is supported over LAG to obtain 1gbps+ speeds as the game room will be attached to the satellite via ethernet on the 2.5G port.

Again thank you for taking the time to help.

Techno

Message 3 of 5
schumaku
Guru

With the pre-requirement that both LAN ports for the LAG (the manual just remined me that it is possible to define two LAG groups, not just the one on the marked ports, it says "LAN ports 2 and 3 can form one link aggregation group (LAG). LAN ports 4 and 5 can form another LAG." p.12) being in the same VLAN group, the Orbi Pro WiFi 6 AX6000 Tri-band WiFi System (SXK80) User Manual "Manage Link Aggregation", p.135 ff. does decribe the process. 

Message 4 of 5
Technofuzz
Aspirant

I understand how to setup a LAG, I was just trying to clarify if the router/satellite support ethernet backhaul over the LAG (theoretical 2gbps) connection.  Sorry if I seem less educated on this networking front, as I do have a CS degree, I've never dabbled this far into networking topology.  This is my plan, just trying to see if it's feasible/possible.  Router ->(LAG) (2gbps) -> Satellite (from 2.5gbps port on satellite) ->  2.5Gbps switch -> 2 PCs in gaming room (to recieve 1.2Gbps internet download speeds).  I do understand that LAG does not mean it will increase my speed 100% from 1gbps -> 2gbps, but will provide some increase in overall network speed.

Thanks Again

Techno.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements