Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

SXR80 Port Forwarding

Obmit
Aspirant

SXR80 Port Forwarding

I am having issues with my Somfy blinds. I have no issues with any other IOT devices. All connect and talk to eachother and my phone both in and off my home network, for example my garage I can open from anywhere. But Somfy will not connect outside. Their support said I should open ports-

The instructions were-

8883 TCP Public

20000 TCP Private

I have read the manual and looked and seached but I am confused by how I impliment this on the Orbi, I can find where to set up port forwarding etc, but nothing about public or private. So far I have had no luck making this work. Before I go further down rabbit holes, I need to make sure I have the port forwarding correct. Just to be clear, I have read the manual, it mentioned nothing about public or privatem unless I totaly missed it. 

Also, I gather/hope I am in the write forum, so why in the Model drop down does it not list my model? I see from other posts I am not the only one confused about this!

Thanks

Message 1 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Re: SXR80 Port Forwarding

Afraid, just this information alone and Somfy shutters is digging in the dark. Google does not help to find any reference to these two ports related to Somfy. 

There must be some kind of controller or gateway involved for talking to the shutter activators. Doubt the shutter activators are true IoT (using WiFi and IP). Typical "requirements" for such IoT is that they are able to talk direct to the Internet (this depends on the whatever SSID and network this controller is connected or associated to).

Probably some require the ability to make use of UPnP PMP, probably to map an Internet (WAN) port [public] to a certain local network (LAN) port. This would require this controller is connected to the network/SSID able to deal with UPnP PMP - this applies to the primary network only. Needless to say, port forwarding requires a public/routeable IP on the Orbi Pro router WAN/Interface port, too.

Please provide exact model designators so we can compare with the vendor documentation. 

At least here in Europe, people talk about the Somfi TaHoma system ... and one complete different TCP port required to connect _to_ the Internet to bring up the cloud connectivity.

Message 2 of 4
Obmit
Aspirant

Thanks for all of that info. 

The somfy is on Wifi 3, with all of my other IOT devices. My Kasa, Hue and Google devices can all get out to the world and I can control things from my phone without being on the wifi.  

Perhpas one mysetery we can solve while I find out more about the Smfy gear is why I can not detect the open ports using ay online tools. According to the settings, I have them open. See picture. I have tried with UPnP on and off. 

WHen you say PRIMARY NETWORK, what do you mean? Wifi 1? 

Thanks

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

@Obmit wrote:

My Kasa, Hue and Google devices can all get out to the world and I can control things from my phone without being on the wifi. 

All these are typical IoT which establish only an outgoing connection to the Internet where certain reverse or tunnel methods are used from where the App resp the cloud infrastructure the App does talk to can reach the IoT devices on your network.  

@Obmit wrote:

Perhpas one mysetery we can solve while I find out more about the Smfy gear is why I can not detect the open ports using ay online tools. According to the settings, I have them open. See picture. I have tried with UPnP on and off.  

Agree, lot of mystery, paired with some odd support feedback by these vendors. Probably French to English translation issues (kidding).

The ports shown are forwarded manually to the Somfy controller one might guess. but as we both suspect, there is no incoming connection required - this would break users located behind double NAT, where ISP deploy carrier grade NAT (again leading to double NAT), and last but not least exposing these "thin" controllers to the wild Internet. thus very unlikely, as you already figured out, too.

Some smart design might allow certain connection-less access direct from the App on the local (W)LAN to avoid the loop over the cloud - wound be hard if you can't open the shutters in the morning or in case of a strom while the Internet is down.

@Obmit wrote:

WHen you say PRIMARY NETWORK, what do you mean? Wifi 1? 

Yes. As far as I understand the UPnP PMA works only on that WiFi 1 - can't think this should be required. Convinced @BruceGuo can support my confused old brain please.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements