Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

SXR80/SXS80: Inter-VLAN routing (mostly) doesn't work when both devices are connected to satellite

Jaydubya3
Follower

SXR80/SXS80: Inter-VLAN routing (mostly) doesn't work when both devices are connected to satellite

I'm having issues with 2 devices connected to my SXS80 satellite not able to talk to each other when they are different VLANs.

Let's start off with some info about my network setup. I have the following topology:

Router <- (wired trunk) -> Switch <- (wired trunk) -> SXR80 <- (wireless backhaul) -> SXS80

I am running my Orbi devices in AP mode. I am doing all inter-VLAN routing at my own Router. There were no firewall rules in place, all traffic is permitted.

I have the following configured in Setup > Wireless Setup:

Wireless 1: VLAN Profile: 20

Wireless 2: VLAN Profile: 40 (not relevant to my testing, only here for documentation)

Wireless 3: VLAN Profile: 21

Guest Portal: Not used.

I have the following configured in Advanced Setup > VLAN / Bridge Settings:

VLAN 20: Priority 0, Client isolation: off, Network isolation: off

VLAN 21: Priority 0, Client isolation: off, Network isolation: off

The problem I seem to have found is that intra-VLAN (same VLAN) communication is working for devices that are connected to either the router or the satellite, but inter-VLAN (different VLAN) communication is not working when both devices are connected to the satellite.

So to sum up all of the scenarios:

intra-VLAN:

Router (VLAN 21) <-> Router (VLAN 21): Works

Router (VLAN 21) <-> Satellite (VLAN 21): Works

Satellite (VLAN 21) <-> Satellite (VLAN 21): Works

inter-VLAN

Router (VLAN 20) <-> Router (VLAN 21): Works

Router (VLAN 20) <-> Satellite (VLAN 21): Works

Satellite (VLAN 20) <-> Satellite (VLAN 21): Doesn't work

A note here, when I say it doesn't work I should mention that it mostly doesn't work. It does seem to allow a few packets through in both directions. Protocols like ICMP - which are just an echo and a response - work just fine, but a TCP 3-way handshake (SYN, SYN/ACK, ACK) fails as the SYN and SYN/ACK make it to their destination and then the final ACK never makes it. That is then followed up by multiple SYN/ACK retransmissions from the receiver and a few Duplicate ACKs from the sender until the sender sends a FIN/ACK and the receiver responds with an ACK to close the connection. I have seen similar issues with other TCP connections such as HTTP and SMB.

I searched the community and did not find any similar threads. Is this a known issue and/or working as intended?

Does anyone else have this setup and can verify the issue?

I only ever set these up as AP mode, never Router mode. In AP mode, some of the settings are greyed out and I can't click on them. Is there maybe a setting that is on by default in Router mode that would cause this?

Message 1 of 1
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 0 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 1 in conversation
Announcements