Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: SXR80 and SXS80 losing connection constantly

brjacobso
Tutor

SXR80 and SXS80 losing connection constantly

Business WiFi Mesh System 

latest firmware V4.2.2.130

#SXR80 and##SXS80 pair (1 each

Yesterday, I started losing connection every 10 mins.  The only remedy is either to power cycle the Router or to go to the Basic / Internet page of the router admin portal and hit that "TEST" button.

I thought maybe the latest firmware update was the problem.  It was installed automatically as of 9/3 I believe.  So I downgraded one step back.  This seemed to make it last a few hours before the internet would go out.  But now again, today, it's going every 10 mins.  I went ahead and went back to the latest firmware since that didn't seem to be the issue.

Anyone know what I can try?  I've also power-cycled the main AP for my ISP.  But that didn't seem to help either.

Message 1 of 9
plemans
Guru

You're running it in access point mode? 

when the connection drops, do devices connect but say "connected, no internet"

Or what error do you get? 

Message 2 of 9
brjacobso
Tutor

It's in router mode, but connected to a separate AP from my ISP by cat 7 or 8 cable.  So I get fiber from AT&T, they have the fiber go into their AP box.  I disabled its integrated wifi because I want to use the mesh of these Orbi devices.  Then the orbi has one satellite to help bring the signal to the rest of the house.  I have a couple things wired to the orbi router, but the rest of everything is by wireless to either R or S.

Correct, I'll be just working on my work laptop, trying to go to a webpage or send messages in various messaging apps like microsoft teams.  Every app that has a way of letting me know they're disconnected starts letting me know, web pages in browsers start going to 'can't access that right now' type messages.

And then if I go to my phone, I'll get the message "do you want to switch to cellular data or continue trying the wifi?".

Message 3 of 9
plemans
Guru

swtiching off the wireless on the att gateway doesn't disable its router functions. It still leaves you in a double nat. 

If you have their gateway in router mode, try the netgear in access point mode. that'd fix your double nat. 

Message 4 of 9
brjacobso
Tutor

Well, I kind of want that.  I'm serving up a number of VLANs and using other features that won't be possible if I do AP mode, at least according to some quick searches.  AP mode seems to give out IPs on the original LAN that the main AP I have from my ISP is serving.  I'll keep researching that as an option.  But I don't think that solves the original issue.  I've had this setup for about a year without issues.  It's been the most stable and fastest wireless I've ever had...until a few days ago.

Message 5 of 9
plemans
Guru

So try going into the att gateway and putting the netgears IP address into its DMZ

Message 6 of 9
brjacobso
Tutor

Ok, thanks.  I did end up getting into my ISP's AP to look at settings.  I did find pass through mode, and I specified the mac of the orbi router.  That's working pretty well right now, so I think that will fix it.  I'll see in a few days, if I don't get disconnected anymore I'll be happy.  The other funny thing is that the sticker on the orbi has the wrong mac address, it was off by 1 on the last hex digit.  I'm glad the AP's tool page detected mac's for me.  If I had to type it in from the sticker, it would not have worked.  I wonder if the orbi router has an external mac and an internal mac somehow.  Anyway, I'll update if anything goes wrong and in a few days find out if there's a way to mark this all solved.

Message 7 of 9
BruceGuo
NETGEAR Expert

our product label only lists LAN mac address. Do you have further information what's passthrough mode and why mac address is required by the mode for working fine?

Message 8 of 9
brjacobso
Tutor

Google "passsthrough mode", you'll get a better description than I come up with. It helps avoid double NAT.

I do have more updates for my post overall. I was good for a couple days. But then it started happening even if I was wired into the ISP AP directly by wire. So I logged into the admin console for it and tried disabling or modifying some of the packet filtering features. This time I would see things like Teams work fine, and you could get to google in a browser, but then other sites wouldn't work. So I figured the isp AP was now at fault. It worked well for the rest of the day after making settings changes for the isp AP. But we'll see. Another day, another chance for it all to go wrong again haha. It's just so strange because it all worked so nicely for so long.
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements