Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

SXR80 doesn't show up in older 2.4 wireless devices

Cafetom
Star

SXR80 doesn't show up in older 2.4 wireless devices

SXR80 — Orbi Pro AX6000 WiFi 6 Tri-band Router / SXR80

Hello all,  I can not figure out what setting to change to allow my older 2.4 wireless clients to see the wireless network.  I have seemingly changed every setting I could find in the wireless area of the router in trying to figure out why my Lenovo X120e is not even able to see the router.  I have read somewhere that the other orbi models have a setting called "AX" where you can turn it on and off to allow access to older clients.  I haven't found such a setting in this model.  I also have a number of guests that visit that have said the same thing about their older devices not being able to see any available network.   Thoughts?

Tom

Message 1 of 5
plemans
Guru

Re: SXR80 doesn't show up in older 2.4 wireless devices

I have the SXK30 and haven't seen that as an option either in the browser gui or in the insight management. 

A couple things. 

1. is the older devices able to see the network at all? Or can't see the ssid? 

2. have you looked up the wireless card in the devices to see if you can get a driver directly from whoever makes the wireless card (not lenovo)

3. Some devices you could simply purchase a cheap usb-->wireless adapter and use. 

4. if you have an old router sitting around, put it in access point mode just for the 2.4ghz. 

Message 2 of 5
Cafetom
Star

1.  older devices that I have seen, including mine, will see other networks, just not mine.  They do not see my SSID.  And when I tried to manually add the network as if it is a non-broadcasting SSID it still doesn't connect.

2.  I have updated the drivers to the official lenovo drivers, and also updated it to try, with the Intel drivers, and also with the Windows drivers.  None of them work

3.  Sure, I can buy a wireless card for my device, I am thinking about my guests/customers.  I can't really expect them to change or buy different devices for my network.

4.  Hahaha.  That is funny you should say that.  I had 3 netgear routers serving the purpose of having multiple SSIDs (all with separate external IP space so the devices never routed between each other.  The whole reason I got the orbi business was to do away with 3 separate routers and do more of a small business setup.  Something tells me I should have trusted my friend when he said to spend the same amount and buy Ubiquiti.  😞

Message 3 of 5
plemans
Guru

You'd have ran into the same issue with Ubiquiti. 

Its a problem of the drivers on the older devices going to the AX spec (wifi 6), not of the router itself. 

wifi 6 was supposed to be backwards compatible, sadly it wasn't with some older devices. 

And it is better to use a business grade one for a business. Nice thing is you can plug an old/cheap N300 router into it and put it on its own vlan through the settings so it won't jeapordize your setup. 

Or don't worry about it a whole lot. Most devices made halfway recently function fine on AX standards. Tends to be the really older devices.

Message 4 of 5
schumaku
Guru

@Cafetom wrote:

... allow my older 2.4 wireless clients to see the wireless network. ...to figure out why my Lenovo X120e is not even able to see the router.

Another possible reason - especially if you are located in regulatory areas allowing 13 channels on 2.4 GHz - set a 2.4 GHz channel to the range 1...11. 

Have you figured out what Wi-Fi adapter is installed on your Lenovo X120e? Trouble is that the official Lenovo drivers are more than a decade old.

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/ee/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-...

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/ee/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-...

Very poor service by Lenovo - but I admit e.g. the popular Intel Wi-Fi adapters required an update, always including the adapter "microcode" (there is always an ARM CPU on board), and we always had to use the Intel WiFi Driver Download (e.g. for WIn 10/11) resp. the Intel Driver & Support Assistent 

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements