Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

SXR80 tagged VLANs for SSIDs

Theo_C
Tutor

SXR80 tagged VLANs for SSIDs

Hello there, 

I'm trying to setup the Orbi Pro Wifi 6 in AP mode to work with a pfsense router and a managed DELL switch in order to have 2 SSIDs available for STAFF and GUESTS. Each of these SSIDs would have a tagged VLAN.

I managed to make this system work in one of our offices with wired backhaul in the following way:
1) 3 VLANs are configured on the pfsense (VLAN WIFIAP, VLAN STAFF and VLAN GUESTS).
2) The pfsense routeur is connected to the switch via SFP+ port.
3) I untagged the 3 VLANs on 3 access ports of the switch.
4) I configured the port 1 of the SXR80 in trunk mode, tagged the VLAN 1 (default), and connected the VLAN WIFIAP to it. The SXR80 does get its IP from the VLAN WIFIAP.
I Configured the port 2 of the SXR80 in access mode and connected the VLAN STAFF, configured the port 3 of the SXR80 in access mode and connected the VLAN GUESTS to it.
5) I then enabled the 3 SSIDs and linked to them the 3 profiles (Wireless 2 = VLAN STAFF and Guest Portal = VLAN GUESTS).
6) And finally reproduced the setup for the satellite. So again 3 access ports on the switch and 3 ethernet cables between the switch and the satellite.

So in this office, everything seems to work well, people connecting to the STAFF SSID do get an IP from the VLAN STAFF and people connecting to the GUESTS SSID do get an IP from the VLAN GUESTS. Each VLAN being configured in our pfsense DHCP server.

The fact is that I need to reproduce the same system in an office of three floors and I won't be able to pass three cables for each Orbi equipment (SXR80 and several SXS80). Is it possible to have only one trunked port on the SXR80 and SXS80 to pass the three VLANs and to have the 2 SSIDs STAFF and GUESTS working?

Thank you very much!

Message 1 of 4

Accepted Solutions
schumaku
Guru

Re: SXR80 tagged VLANs for SSIDs

@Theo_C wrote:

The fact is that I need to reproduce the same system in an office of three floors and I won't be able to pass three cables for each Orbi equipment (SXR80 and several SXS80). Is it possible to have only one trunked port on the SXR80 and SXS80 to pass the three VLANs and to have the 2 SSIDs STAFF and GUESTS working?

Sure, that's why trunk ports can be configured carrying multiple tagged VLANs on all Orbi SXR80/SXS80 and similar models.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

@Theo_C wrote:

Sure, that's why trunk ports can be configured carrying multiple tagged VLANs on all Orbi SXR80/SXS80 and similar models.

Message 2 of 4
Theo_C
Tutor

Yes, thank you for your responce! I tried again this morning by switching my switch port to trunk mode and giving it the PVID of my VLAN WIFIAP and it worked, I now have a stable connection, with the router connected with a single cable to the switch and the satellite connected with a single cable to the switch and have both STAFF and GUEST SSIDs working and getting the right IP 🙂

I can close this subject!

Thanks again! 

Message 3 of 4
schumaku
Guru

Brilliant! Remind you the PVID does define the VLAN where untagged frames coming in on such a port will be assigned to.

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements