Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

SXR80 w/ Wavlink WL-WN573HX1

hawkinsR
Aspirant

SXR80 w/ Wavlink WL-WN573HX1

Does anyone know if the Wavlink WL-WN573HX1will work inmesh extendermodewith the SXR80 router?
Message 1 of 12
schumaku
Guru

Re: SXR80 w/ Wavlink WL-WN573HX1

This is what the https://www.wavlink.com/en_us/product/WL-WN573HX1.html FAQ says:

Is the Wavlink Everything Mesh WiFi system compatible with other mesh systems?

The Wavlink Everything Mesh WiFi system is a proprietary mesh system and is not compatible with other brands of mesh networking systems. If you have purchased several Wavlink Everything Mesh devices, you can interconnect them to create an overall mesh network covering a wider area.

Said that, the same applies to the Netgear Orbi Pro WiFi 6 systems.

Message 2 of 12
hawkinsR
Aspirant

In that case, I suppose I am looking for an inexpensive repeater or Ap, I do not care about the mesh part of it, I just need wifi so smart landscaping can be accessed. I'd hate to trash the netgear, look elsewhere & system and start over, but will if I must

Message 3 of 12
schumaku
Guru

Difficult to help if an undefined smart garden project is the key of the universe.

Your SXx80 system does not cover the garden by Wi-Fi? Any SXS80 satellites deployed? You can always add SXS80, SXS50 or SXS30 Orbi Pro WiFi 6 satellites, being by using a wireless or a wired backhaul.

Message 4 of 12
hawkinsR
Aspirant

Existing satellites (2) and router have to punch through 12" concrete and you can just barely pick up[ the nets at about 15' outside of the building. That is why having an outside unit is key for the "undefined smart garden project is the key of the universe."* Those smart devices in the landscaping are security cams ...

*sarcasm only makes 'you' look the fool

Message 5 of 12
schumaku
Guru

@hawkinsR wrote:

Existing satellites (2) and router have to punch through 12" concrete and you can just barely pick up[ the nets at about 15' outside of the building.

Fat concrete walls are the show-stopper number one for a performing and reliable wireless backhaul - it's the key argument for digging out the old Hilti and for installing network cables and plan a wired backhaul. This isn't Netgear's mistake. Different mesh AP system with long antennas wont change this situation. It's just a result of the physics.

@hawkinsR wrote:

That is why having an outside unit is key for the "undefined smart garden project is the key of the universe."* Those smart devices in the landscaping are security cams ...

Thank you for providing insight of the environment and the intended expansion ideas.

@hawkinsR wrote:

*sarcasm only makes 'you' look the fool

This was just my personal conclusion after summarizing the non-available insights, digesting the ideas of introducing yet another mesh system, the potential intention for dropping the Orbi Pro WiFi 6 system. Simple math, no pun intended.

Regards,

-Kurt

from somewhere deep in Switzerland, having designed and installed hundreds of networks

Message 6 of 12
hawkinsR
Aspirant

I wasn't necessarily looking to replace it unless I had to, but just looking to add to it, and no one gives helpful answers, just snarky responses...you'd think they hang out on Reddit, where help has been lost to the pompous A's lol.

So I am all about running a cable to the outside but my original question was Would this work or does Netgear have an alternative? I just need the wifi for the people that may end up out there working this summer.

Message 7 of 12
schumaku
Guru

Network cables are the much better approach to create a switched and wired backhaul than praying some WiFi backhaul might lead to a substandard result on reliability and effective throughout - for all satellites.

Message 8 of 12
hawkinsR
Aspirant

I agree, but just running cables settles the wifi situation how, since the cameras are all wifi and the added benefit is for those that want to work outside...

Message 9 of 12
schumaku
Guru

The cable from the router (or for the sake of a core switch if you like) to the satellite installed outdoors towards the garden does bypass the (likely weak) wireless backhaul hop. From the satellite to the camera you can of course continue the obvious wireless connection required.

Message 10 of 12
hawkinsR
Aspirant

So what outdoor net gear product will work with my system, I do not believe this was ever answered sufficiently or would that aforementioned unit works as a Wi-Fi access point if it was hardwired
Message 11 of 12
schumaku
Guru

Following your indication that the outdoor Wi-Fi coverage is very limited, there is not much hope for a chance to bring up wireless backhauled access points in your environment.  So yes, no better options available than installing wired access points - for simplicity retaining Orbi Pro WiFi 6 management compatibility - installing in a weather proofed outdoor wifi enclosure.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements