Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

SXS80 Not Using VLANs

Orbi_ER
Tutor

SXS80 Not Using VLANs

I have been slowly integrating the Orbi Pro SXR80/SXS80 into my network. I built everything out without the SXS80, in hopes that I could reconnect it later to sync all of the settings. But, I'm finding that is not the case at all! I'm using the SXR80 in Access Point mode with each SSID tagged with a different VLAN (none are on the default VLAN1). The network works great until I add the satellite. When I do, any device connecting to the satellite is showing as part of the default VLAN1, getting the wrong IP address and essentially joining the wrong network. All of the network isolation goes out the window with the satellite engaged!

I'm running the latest firmware, 3.1.0.104 on both devices. Is there a known defect for VLANs on the satellite? Or, any other advice out there on how to be able to use VLANs when the satellite is synced? It almost appears that no SSIDs are not getting tagged with any VLAN when connected to the satellite.

I considered running a wired backhaul since I have CAT5e going to the location where the satellite is located, but I didn't see any documentation in the manual mentioning this as a feature. Is this possible? Or, would it help with appropriately tagging the wireless traffic?

Thanks all!

Message 1 of 8
RaghuHR
NETGEAR Expert

Re: SXS80 Not Using VLANs

Hi @Orbi_ER 

Could you please share me your network topology with VLAN info will help us to narrow down your issue. Please share the debug logs by accessing https://<ip address of router>/debug.htm and click on start capture. Connect satellite and after few you can download the debug logs. Please upload into google drive and send me link via PM.

Thanks,

Raghu

Message 2 of 8
Orbi_ER
Tutor

Thanks @RaghuHR!

I ran the debug logs, but after reviewing it and based on the amount of information that goes through in plain text (passwords, settings, etc.) I'm not too comfortable sending that along. Is there a specific portion that would help? My hunch is something along the lines of how the satellite processes VLANs.

In terms of network topology - the ISP provided router is connected to an device running Untangle, which is running multiple VLANs and serving as the DHCP server for each VLAN. The SXR80 is plugged into it and set as a trunk connection. From there, the 4 SSIDs on the SXR80 are each set to a different VLAN, which are working appropriately when no satellite is connected. Connections from wireless and wired devices are flowing to the intended VLAN networks. 

The current SXR80 manual doesn't list any directions on how the wired backhaul operates, nor do I see any settings in the admin side. Is this an actual feature like was advertised? If I were to hardwire the connection between devices, would that be a viable solution until a future firmware update and are there any specific settings needed? 

Message 3 of 8
schumaku
Guru

@Orbi_ER wrote:

The SXR80 is plugged into it and set as a trunk connection. 

The satellites are connected to ports configured similar to the SXR80 trunk? I would assume in AP mode, the router and the satellites are plain APs - so figure.

@Orbi_ER wrote:

The current SXR80 manual doesn't list any directions on how the wired backhaul operates, nor do I see any settings in the admin side.

@YeZ - that's the discussion we had last week in chat.

@Orbi_ER wrote:

Is this an actual feature like was advertised?

Netgear does understand these Mesh systems as throw-in single network set-up. Already AP mode is vague nicely said (as we see from the docs...)

@Orbi_ER wrote:

If I were to hardwire the connection between devices, would that be a viable solution until a future firmware update and are there any specific settings needed? 

This is certainly feasible. But of course, it can't be the idea the data does flow (especially for the satellites) twice over the network.

I don't know to much about the "legacy" Orbi, Orbi AX, and Orbi Pro systems in general, and even less on the Orbi Pro AX. The Orbi Pro AX (on a redesigned ar new platform) has introduced  VLAN configurations capabilities.

If VLAN capable switches are in the play, there is more than just the VLANs config. On the "legacy" Orbi implementation models, it's mandatory to run STP (no RSTP, no MSP, ...) on the "managed" switches, on an STP ID 32768 (STP Default Priority) to allow the satellites to work over these wired backhaul.

But again, this isn't officially documented anywhere.

Message 4 of 8
schumaku
Guru

Message 5 of 8
BruceGuo
NETGEAR Expert

Hi All,

We will have fixed firmware in mid of Jan. Now we are testing it. If you wanna get beta firmware, please PM me.

Thanks

Bruce

Message 6 of 8

Wired backhaul on the Orbi Pro WiFi 6 does work.  I am CAT5e cabled and have my satellite port 1 connected to the router LAN port 2 (the 2.5GHz port 1 is set for WAN). To get the wired backhaul functioning properly I reran the setup wizard to reset the connection.

Message 7 of 8
BruceGuo
NETGEAR Expert

Hi All,

We put RC firmware (including the VLAN fix) in Orbi Pro BETA board. You can download there.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Orbi-Pro-Beta/SXK80-Beta-Firmware-Version-3-2-0-108/m-p/2033158#M5

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements