Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Setting up satellites for static IP

davidcheok
Apprentice

Setting up satellites for static IP

Other threads have concluded that satellites pick up IP using dhcp. Can we request for the satellites to accept IP allocation by mac address? I segment my devices using static ip for permanent devices into sections within a subnet and would rather all infrastructure to be assigned static ip addresses.

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
davidcheok
Apprentice

Update:

So as i had said earlier, I had reserved ip addresses outside the DHCP pool to the mac addresses of the satellites and the satellites still kept picking up ips from the dhcp pool. Well today, I just checked again and discovered that they picked up the static addresses assigned to them. Works now. I should have realised the system takes a while to work like the wireless2 issues i had previously.

This issue is resolved.

View solution in original post

Message 8 of 8

All Replies
schumaku
Guru

By rule of thumb, it's the "normal" DHCP server on the Orbi Pro router handling the IP allocation (as long as it's in router mode). Best guess the Orbi Pro Sxx60 User Manual p.66 - "Manage Reserved LAN IP Addresses" would allow to configure a fixed IP address (also outside of the DHCP pool AFAIK) what you want.

Message 2 of 8
davidcheok
Apprentice

Already tried that. Sats still using the dhcp pool.
Message 3 of 8
schumaku
Guru

Rethinking my idea - dnsmasq does indeed require the static MAC-IP assignments in what they define as dhcp-range. All you can do is extend the DHCP pool (on the low or high address side) and add MAC based reservations there.

Message 4 of 8
evan2
NETGEAR Expert

@davidcheok 

Satellite can't set static IP address,

You may login SRR60's admin GUI and add satellite's MAC address to Address Reservation in ADVANCED/LAN Setup,

Message 5 of 8
davidcheok
Apprentice

Already did that. Its still getting IP from the dhcp pool. Anyway its not a big deal. Just prefer my dhcp to issue ips from the pool to non permanent devices while permanent devices be assigned from a different section.
Message 6 of 8
schumaku
Guru

@evan2 wrote:

You may login SRR60's admin GUI and add satellite's MAC address to Address Reservation in ADVANCED/LAN Setup,

@evan2  The problem is that - different from many other small business routers and security appliances - the Orbi Pro (and Orbi, Nighthawk, ...) still don't allow configuring static address reservations outside of the pool intended in many network designs for real ad-hoc usage. The problem is that Netgear has carried forward poor 1990ties spec from the consumer devices - simply not good enough for this product class.

We love Netgear small business devices (switches, WAP, ...) - but stay off from the routers for this and many similar reasons.

Message 7 of 8
davidcheok
Apprentice

Update:

So as i had said earlier, I had reserved ip addresses outside the DHCP pool to the mac addresses of the satellites and the satellites still kept picking up ips from the dhcp pool. Well today, I just checked again and discovered that they picked up the static addresses assigned to them. Works now. I should have realised the system takes a while to work like the wireless2 issues i had previously.

This issue is resolved.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements