Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Slow connection to work VPN

Xavez
Aspirant

Slow connection to work VPN

I know this is an older topic, but I wanted to mention that I have the exact same problem with the Orbi SRR60+SRS60 (aka SRK60). I have tried almost everything by now, but whatever I do: using a VPN consistently cuts the speeds in half.

If by some setting I'm getting a 600mbps download speed without VPN, I will get 300 with VPN. If I'm getting 400mbps without VPN, I'm getting 200 with VPN.

Is there some kind of packet inspection at work on the Orbi that is trying too hard? Help is greatly appreciated. 

Message 1 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Re: Slow connection to work VPN

I think you are correct that this topic has not been satisfactorily explained.  Sometimes, "same problem" might be "mostly" the same but have slight differences.

In this case, more detail about how speed is being measured could be helpful.

My guess is the comparison is between speed of connection to work resources:

• When connected directly to the ISP device (modem, ONT) vs.
  • When connected directly to the Orbi router by cable (not WiFi, not satellite).
  • Sort of surprised that typical tools such as Ookla Speed Test would function when connected through a tunnel to a corporate resource.  What tool is being used to measure speed?

Correct?

Message 2 of 4
Xavez
Aspirant

I don't know what happened, but suddenly the parent topic (the one I originally replied to) has disappeared, so my message is missing all context. 

In any case, see this topic  I posted a few days ago with more context.

Message 3 of 4
CrimpOn
Guru

Thanks for the reference.  I was going off in the wrong direction by focusing on "Work VPN".

Message 4 of 4
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements