Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Twin SXR80's in a setup

GXAlan
Aspirant

Twin SXR80's in a setup

I have an ORBI SXR80/SXS80 bundle and was able to get a second bundle for less than the cost of two satellites.  I was hoping to use the router as a wired backhaul AP extending the primary network.

Separate DHCP server

-> ORBI SXR80 #1 configured as Access Point

------> ORBI SXS80 #1 as Satellite, WiFi backhaul to SXR80 #1

-> ORBI SXS80 #2 as Satellite, Wired Backhaul to SXR80 #1, recognizes updates from SXR80 #1

I would now like to add SXR80 #2 to further mesh the Wifi coverage, using a wired backhaul. 

Is there an easy way to configure this?  My thought was to setup SXR80 #1 with a static IP, then backup the SXR80 #1 settings,  unplug SXR80 #1 and then restore the settings to SXR80 #2.  That would have all of the Wifi networks and passwords setup. 

Then I would configure the IP address of SXR80 #2 to a new static IP and then plug SXR80 #1 back into the system. 

1) If I do that I imagine that the satellites with WiFI backhaul will only sync to the router #1 based upon MAC address which means that I will manually need to synchronize settings between the SXR80 #1 and SXR80 #2?

2) Will the Orbi be smart enough to pass devices from one access point to another based upon signal strength?

3) What happens if I use orbilogin.com --> which router would it go to?

Message 1 of 3
FURRYe38
Guru

Re: Twin SXR80's in a setup

If you have a 2nd SXR, it would need to be used in AP mode. It will not integrate in to the 1st systems MESH as a satellite. 

Reveiw these and should point you to how to get the 2nd SXR configured as an AP. 

https://kb.netgear.com/31218/How-do-I-configure-my-Orbi-router-to-act-as-an-access-point and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7LOcJ8GdDo&app=desktop
https://kb.netgear.com/000061277/Which-features-are-disabled-on-my-Orbi-router-when-it-is-set-to-AP-...

I recommend setting a static IP address ON the 2nd SXR in AP mode so that you can always access this address to connect to it's web page. This Address needs to reside out side of the primary SXR DHCP IP address Pool so you may need to adjust the size on the 1st SXR to something smaller in pool size. 192.168.1.100 to .200 would be a suggestion. 

Message 2 of 3
GXAlan
Aspirant

Re: Twin SXR80's in a setup

Thanks.  I already have my primary SXR80 in AP mode as well with a dedicated DHCP server.  With the multiple AP setup built around the SXR80, I won't get the 802.11 k/r/v handoffs from the isolated SXR80 #2 to the SXR80 #1 led mesh network, right?  In that case, I'd be dependent on the device to decide to jump to a different Orbi if it has a good but not perfect connection to the isolated SXR80 #2?

It also turns out that the 2nd SXR80 is a bit buggy (it was an Amazon Warehouse Deal), so I  am going to return the pair.  I realize now that even at list price, Netgear is set up such that you have a razor handle/razor blade model.  The satellites upgrade is a big profit generator.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements